Anyone care to venture a guess for 10.10's system requirements?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by g35, Oct 19, 2013.

1. g35 macrumors 6502a

As far as I can tell, it's been like this

SL - Intel processor, 1GB RAM
    Lion, ML and Mavericks - Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM

Even some iMacs from as far back as 2007 can run Mavericks, all unibody Macbook pros can and even the Macbook aluminum from 2008. and it looks like anything from 2010 or newer can run it for sure.

Is it possible that they increase the requirement to Core i3 and 4GB of RAM for the next one, or do you think there's enough performance overhead in a C2D w/ 2GB for the next version? How about Core i3 and 2GB RAM, which would allow machines from 2011 and newer? If 10.10 comes out in 2015 that's still 4-year-old machines being able to run the latest version.

I just find it hard to imagine that in 2015 they'll still be supporting devices from 2007-2008, but it would be a good thing the leaner and lighter it can run, obviously.

I know nobody here has insider info...just speculation.

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

I imagine it'll be the same for a while. Computers are "fast enough" now and there have been no architectural changes. CPU speeds have been very incremental since C2D. RAM management is better in Mavericks, so I don't see it going up. That's not to say that there won't be features limited to later machines.

3. Bear macrumors G3

I can see some of the older Core2Duo systems falling off the supported list with 10.10. It may be driven by what GPUs that those systems have.

4. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I would imagine the same as Mavericks.

http://www.apple.com/uk/osx/specs/

My 1.4Ghz C2D on my original 11" Air still flies with Mavericks and I can't imagine any architectural change that would make 10.10 not function. So even if Apple does drop some older systems (those with GMA X3100 possibly as the graphics are weak as) there will be a hack around it.

Edit: Ah looking at Wiki the X3100 is already no longer officially supported. I hope my 320 M is not in the firing line next.