Anyone catch the new Consumer Reports?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by davidra, Jul 3, 2012.

1. davidra macrumors 6502

iPhone 9th out of 10 on Verizon, 6th out of 6 on Sprint, and 9th out of 16 on AT&T. Essentially, they think it sucks. Sidebar about the GSIII. Interesting since the iPhone has always been on the top in their evals...

2. Exio macrumors regular

And the discussion value here lies where...? :rolleyes:
    The iPhone is currently out-specced and out-featured by flagship android devices, go read some of the other topics on this matter in this board.

3. AFDoc macrumors 68030

CR has already shown themselves to be a corrupt organization long before any iPhone came into being so I really put no weight into anything they have to say. Simply google "consumer reports Suzuki Samurai" and get all the info you need.

4. TinyBFK macrumors member

5. gladoscc macrumors 6502

And? Nobody can deny that the iPhone 4S is severely lacking

6. 62tele macrumors 6502a

And yet CR doesn't amount to a pimple on Apple's butt! CR's evaluations of the iPhone have crippled sales?

Other companies crap new phones like they have marketing diarrhea. So what?

7. davidra thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm quite aware of that. I choose to have an iPhone and am not the least bit interested in Android. Been there, done that. But CR was very positive about the 4S. The point of discussion? Lots of people here talk about getting "out-specced and "outfeatured", but when the major consumer magazine in the country (whether you like it or not) points it out, it's worth noting.

8. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Your passing your personal opinion off as fact? I have no issues with my 4s and don't feel it's lacking in any way. Sure on face value it seems to be missing some things other phones may have but I in no way feel that causes the iPhone to be "severely lacking". The iPhone performs exactly the way I want it to each and every time I pick it up. Smooth os, app store over flowing with apps I use daily, elegant design which I feel is the best looking out of any other device I have owned/have seen so your statement does not apply to me. Now that's not to say I'm not looking forward to the next iPhone because I will be picking that up on day one, but the 4s will still be used by someone in my family, as all my other iPhone have which includes my Oi. So please don't speak for me, I can do that myself.
    I stand by my original statement, CR is a corrupt organization that has been proven to be a liar which fabricates data.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Must we do this every year? The iPhone 4S is nearing the end of its life as Apple's flagship phone. Of course phones released months later have higher specs.

BTW, it's never been about the specs.

10. tmarks11 macrumors 6502

Consumer Reports has always been about creating inflated headlines and biased sensationalist reviews to get more readers.

I find their reviews of equipment that I understand well to be pathetic. By extrapolation, I must assume their reviews of equipment I have no experience with or desire for to be equally as lacking.

CR jumped all over Apple all along the way, writing up headlines as biased as those that put them on the map: their hatchet job of the Suzuki Samurai that ended up putting them on the losing side of a lawsuit:

http://www.aim.org/aim-report/aim-report-a-black-eye-for-consumer-reports/

(yes, I will acknowledge that the quoted website might also have bias, but a quick search will find that these opinions are related again and again elsewhere).

CR has never been about objective reporting to benefit the consumer, and they are not doing so in this case. I don't have a dog in this fight: I don't have an iPhone or another smartphone, not wanting to shell out the $90+ per month for the privilege.

I subscribed to consumer reports for awhile, ending it when I discovered that the random author writing reviews on amazon.com did a better job of reviewing products then the CR "professional, unbiased journalists". CR reviews lack depth, accuracy, and scientific rigor, and a 12yo could probably do a better job in many cases.

http://jamesordinaryguyreviews.blogspot.com/2011/09/why-consumer-reports-sucks.html

11. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

"Corrupt organization"...source please demonstrating "corruption".

I do not argue anyone's right to dislike CR, for whatever reasons, emotional or rational. But I do not accept "corrupt" as an apt accusation.

I know it is unpopular to support CR in any way, as CR has not always been kind to Apple products.

At the risk of record down voting, I'll suggest that CR is a very useful source of information for a variety of products. I don't feel criticism of Apple products constitutes sufficient evidence of uselessness, or "corruption".

12. tmarks11 macrumors 6502

Do what he told you: "google CR Suzuki Samauri". Some interesting reading. Especially the part where their stunt driver told in court how he told the CR editor that no matter what he did "I can't make it roll over". They told him to keep trying, and finally they got the roll-over on video (after 45+ runs), which they trumpeted to the world as demonstration of how they were the "consumer's watchdog" to protect the public from dangerous products, and their sales skyrocketed while the samurai product line died as a result.

corruption probably equals "skewing results" to make money by selling more magazines.

Read this, it tells a good story:
    http://www.thatsobsolete.com/2012/04/14/vindicated-the-suzuki-samurai/

13. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Point taken....:)

14. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

the 4S is not lacking. It's just old by tech standards. It's like saying last year's cars are outdated by this years cars. That's the whole point of refreshes, and the iPhone will get one.

Why does it seem this time around people feel like the 4S is already three years old? It's been out 9 months and we all know Apple will refresh this year. Probably in the fall.