Anyone change their mind and will buy the iPad 2 after all?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jedi5, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Jedi5 macrumors 6502

Jedi5

Curious as if anyone here has changed their mind and after seeing the presentation today decided to buy the i2 after all.

I've been the fence and told myself I was going to wait for all the 1st gens to drop in price. Well they dropped price... But now I'm trying to justify why another $100 for the new i2 is OK and I should buy it, LOL.

I think I'm getting caught up in the excitement ....

2. Davichi macrumors 6502

Buying iPad 2 in white.

Dual Core processor is like turbo boost. This is from engadget who played with the device.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

4. lilo777 macrumors 603

Why?

This update has not exceeded even the lowest expectations, why would anyone change his/her mind then?

5. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

Well, my current iPad is still working beautifully. And I suppose it will still work just as well when the new iPad comes out ... so, probably not

6. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

No chance. Rumors have it that another update will be out in September. I can wait.

7. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

Before I saw the event, I was a definite no, there is nothing wrong with my current iPad,

Then when I saw it I'm a maybe, when my Apple store get some in which I can play with, maybe I'll get one.

8. louis0nfire macrumors 6502

I was on the fence, but now I'm definitely getting one. I'll probably keep my iPad because resale value isn't worth parting with it.

9. thunderclap macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

Considering I don't have an iPad I will be picking one up. I just don't know if I want to order it and have it shipped, or take my chances and try going to a store. How fast did the original iPad 16GB Wi-Fi sell out initially? Were there lines? I don't remember how the initial sale went.

10. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Unlikely to have a further update this year, Apple were pretty clever when the said that 2011 was the year of the iPad 2, which was a subtle way of saying that there will be no iPad 3 until 2012.

11. intervenient macrumors 6502a

I'm still debating it. I originally had a pre-order for the Nintendo 3DS, but considering this guy is coming out so quickly, and will only be about $150 after games are factored in, it's looking very appealing.

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The lowest expectations were just the cameras so the new one has significantly exceeded them.

13. patp Guest

yeah i was firmly not going to give in. but the new specs and boost in power have convinced me. call me sheep. call me funny. aint nothing better than my ipad buddy

14. Lamarak macrumors 6502

My wife and I will upgrade. I use mine ALOT for school and having a camera to record will only help. Also The HDMI will be be extremely useful. Being lighter also helps for those long reading sessions.

Not worried about getting rid my old ones, these are hot commodities where my wife works ( all armed forces go through there). Last 2 iphones went fast there.

15. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

It's a nice update but not enough to get me to part with my iPad 1st Gen: I currently change my phone every year and my Mac every 2 years and I expect to change my iPad on a 2 yearly cycle too.

The one thing that may make me change my mind is if IOS 5 leaves out some important functionality on iPad 1.

I don't mind not having iMovie, but I'm betting that it's easy to get it running on iPad 1 anyway using the same hack that can be used to get it to run on an iPhone 3GS: Basically, there is a setting that checks for a front facing camera and it won't work if the device doesn't have one. All you have to do (you need to be a paid up developer or have a jailbroken iPhone) is change that setting and (if you want to run it on a stock device) re-sign the application and it runs fine then.

16. Mjmar macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Already have an iPad 1, and the iPad 2 doesn't seem like enough to get me to upgrade. I really have to break the habit of buying evey new Apple product anyway. But for people that don't have one yet, it's time to get on board!

17. deeddawg macrumors 604

It's more like $150 to $170 since that's the price delta between ipad1 refurbs on apple.com and the new ipad2 pricing for the same configuration.

Tough call; the answer depends a lot on your usage and whether the new features and faster speeds would make enough different to justify the cost; but if you haven't had an ipad it's more difficult to know with certainty the stuff you'll find most important on it.

With that said, if the extra cash won't break the bank, go for the new version.

I'll likely stick with my ipad1 a while longer; the new version is nice but none of the upgrades are "killer" for my needs.

18. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

19. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I really doubt these rumors. I mean Apple's little slogan was "2011. The Year of iPad 2"

I could see them doing a flash memory bump in september though, seeing as they didn't do one here. "iPad 2. Now with twice the storage."

I am really contemplating it since it would cst me around $200 to upgrade after selling my old iPad. Well actually $300 because I want to double to 32GB.

I am going to wait until the tear down and reviews to make sure it has 512MB of RAM though, if it doesn't then i'll wait. I also want to see the camera resolution, although I know it will be crappy.

20. walkie macrumors 6502

After buying an iPad 2 I will play with it at the store: I will open 8 tabs on the browser and go back to other tab and see if it reloads, I will shift between apps to test the performance, play a game and things like that...

21. Eye4Desyn macrumors 6502

Agreed about your comment regarding iOS 5 and iPad 1.

22. Meever macrumors 6502a

I will be upgrading. After selling my old iPad it'll be about 200 which isn't too bad.

Bump in resolution will be nice but I think dual core, camera, along with ram and optimization will be much more substantial.

23. Gryzor macrumors 6502

Of course they will...people will come on here and talk all kind of smack, but when it comes out they know they will get it, but STILL continue to act on here like they never bothered.

24. 2IS macrumors 68030

Becuase they heard or saw a video of an Apple employee or two talk about how "amazing" it is.

Personally I agree with you. I think the iPad 2 launch is one of the most disappointing ones in recent memory.

25. fanboy05 macrumors regular

I was determined to buy the ipad2... I was sure it was going to be an improvement over the first, and have been waiting since june!

I saw the notes and the specks and went :eek:, so when i saw the refurbished ones for 350, I bought 2 of those INSTEAD! ... I have an iphone with camera and facetime already, and well I wasnt impressed with the ipad 2, I really thought they were going to do something to put them ahead of the other competitors. But instead they will go into 2012 behind many tablets because the "new" one doesnt exceed any tablet on the market IMO.
    I want IOS, and not to have to rebuy my apps, but I wonder if they knew that there were people like me who thought the ipad2 was worth waiting for, and now we just figure, get the less expensive one and save our money for when they actually make some improvements cause making it lighter by .2 of a pound isnt all that impressive IMO, and the cameras are not even average much less top of the line!