Anyone charge the macbook on the plane using the in seat USB charger yet?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by robson, Apr 15, 2015.

1. robson macrumors newbie

Perhaps this could be an upside of the new USB-C? Not sure the wattage the in seat USB chargers put out, but maybe it is enough to sustain the batter life for longer at least.

2. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

You can't, apple has already published the specs required to charge, and airplane seat USB plugs don't put our nearly enough. You do realize the AC adaptor is TINY, and far more planes have AC plugs now than USB, right?

3. maclook macrumors 65816

The last plane I was on, the USB charged my iPhone ridiculously slow so I just used the AC adapter located right next to it instead and it charged normally.

4. robson thread starter macrumors newbie

5. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Did you read the article? They basically say it's not ideal, nor anywhere close to it. You have to have the laptop off to charge, and then it charges at 5% per 30 minutes, meaning even if you had a big enough (say 18,000 mah, 6 lb battery pack), you'd take 10 HOURS to fully charge it, with it off.

If you're fine carrying around a 6 pound battery pack, and waiting 10 hours for the laptop to recharge, this is not the laptop for you, that's for sure.