Anyone cut their Microsim to a nanosim ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by whoknows87, Sep 22, 2012.

1. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

2. n0pa macrumors newbie

I did

I use a 3rd party AT&T provider (Consumer Cellular) who uses regular size Sims. After measuring the contacts, I decided they were the same size as the nanosim. So I gave it a try. Works 100%. No need to sand. The small width difference made no issue. Just as long as the card fits in the sim tray, you'll be okay.

3. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

Make sure your contacts are the same size!!
    I originally did it on a sim with a larger contact and cut it down, everything but texts worked fine phone calls and LTE worked but I guess I cut out the part that shows Verizon as the network and texts.

4. whoknows87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

so you just traced over it? that's what I'm planning on doing lol

5. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

This is an excellent PDF template:
    http://www.airportal.de/How_to_cut_Mini_and_Micro_SIM_to_Nano_SIM.pdf

Print at 100% and then place your sim over the correct outline and draw the cutting lines on.

Modern phones like the iPhone only use 5 of the contacts and then only the inner portion so it's pretty safe to cut down, even through the outer contacts on the older round contact sims.

I disassembled a sim to check the actual make up to be sure when I cut an older rounded contact sim down yesterday.
    [​IMG]

Notice, only 5 of the contacts are connected to the IC, as long as you don't cut into any of the fine connector wires you will be fine.

This is the shape of the sim contacts from the front.

[​IMG]

6. zeyank macrumors member

Works great

I used this guide and I was successful. I did have to sand down the back of the card a little bit, but it fits perfect and works. Remember, it is better to not cut enough then too much.

7. n0pa macrumors newbie

I agree, try hard not to cut the contacts. That was why I measured it. If I had to cut the contacts, i would not have done it. I had the AT&T NanoSIM so I was able to just eyeball the trim, then align the actual SIM onto the cut SIM to finish it.

8. kultschar macrumors 6502a

Anybody able to explain what the contacts are?? How much of the metal can I cut into etc

9. zeyank macrumors member

From experience, when I cut it, it took off a sliver of one side of the metal contact, no issues though, works great.

10. iTouch macrumors 6502

Messed up a couple of times and it still works fine. Looks like there is a margin for error. I wouldn't worry too much.

11. doc shivers macrumors member

i'd never resort to such crude solutions when there are other ways of getting a new sim.

12. yang88she macrumors regular

Sorry for the newb question, but what is the purpose of cutting you SIM card?

13. zeyank macrumors member

To use your iPhone with a different carrier / number. For example: I have a Verizon iPhone 5, and I cut my T-Mobile SIM down to nano-sim size to get service.

14. yang88she macrumors regular

Thank you!

15. Olivia23 macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

Well I cut it and it was too small. It kept slipping through the tray so I put some thin tape to hold it in.

Everything works fine except for texting. When I try to send a text I get an exclamation point and it says not delivered. Phone calls work though.

16. katmeef macrumors 6502

I did, works fine. No lte as expected as it's an old sim - was cut for my i4 now again for my 5 :)

Also had to change my apn by uploading a profile in the iPhone configuration utility

17. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

I'm willing to give this a try today, I've got 2 micro sims to spare :)

Carriers here are charging $20 for a nano SIM, no way in hell I'm paying that :rolleyes:

18. FierceDeityLink macrumors newbie

Verizon didn't have any and it worked fine. :cool:

19. hkfan24 macrumors regular

Don't listen to that idiot Doc Shivers. Read his post/thread history and see why.

20. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

What did you change your APN to?

21. Olivia23 macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

Do you know if Verizon store will give me a micro sim for free? I want to try to cut again so I can use my texting lol.

If I ask for a micro sim, will the store look up my info and realize I don't need one?

22. katmeef macrumors 6502

I had to make it pda.bell.ca as its not an iPhone plan either. (Regular apn for bell iPhones is pda2.bell.ca I think). Edit my service is with bell mobility in Canada

23. Robertsmania macrumors member

In the past I've always just told them I was going to buy a phone that needed that kind of sim from a friend. If the store doesn't give it to you, call customer service and they will send you one for free.

24. shayosef macrumors newbie

A Shop with a proper Nano Sim cutter ?

Hi Guys,

I'm flying from Israel with my 4S, so far we haven't got Nano sim's for sale here and i am picking up my iPhone 5 in London in a few days, i am afraid to take the chance and cut it on my own and then if things go wrong ill be without a working phone for the duration of the trip, so i prefer a shop with a cutter that will do this for me, any help will be appreciated.

Name and address of such a shop will be very helpful.

Thanks

25. Olivia23 macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

Ok. The store gave me another SIM card. I just fessed up and told them the truth. They had no idea you could cut down a sim to make a nano sim lol.