Anyone disappointed that they didn't up the max storage to 64GBs?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shorties, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Shorties macrumors 6502a

I have to say I was surprised, I thoroughly expected a 64GB iPhone, I mean it would be nice to store my entire 40GB music library on my phone. But all in all I am really not disappointed, even though pretty much everything they announced today was expected (Except for maybe iMovie, and the gyroscope), I still will buy the 32GB iPhone 4, and be happy with it. (Hey Its more space then I have now). Plus this sure is a huge upgrade feature wise, but anyone disappointed with the lack of 64GB option? (I know the chips are out there). I would of been willing to spend $399 on a 64GB option. Thoughts?

2. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

3. uneek1 macrumors regular

I dont know the reasoning behind it, but to me it seems if the iPhone goes any higher than 32gb, iPhone users will stop buying iPods. And that would be a big hit to the market.

And yea, I'm disappointed, I would have liked to get a least 64gb.

4. army91c macrumors 6502a

Meh.... not really. I only need 16g so that's all I buy. I can't see spending another $100 to have 19g unused. I guess it would of been cool for those that want it.

5. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Ummmmm, the iPhone is an iPod. :confused:

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I guess disappointed is the word, maybe surprised since each upgrade has had a storage bump. But it's hard to REALLY complain considering all the other improvements. I'm going to end up with an iPhone 4 32GB and give my 3GS 32GB to my parents since they now want one to share between them.

Part of me thinks we should just get them a 3GS at Walmart for $97, but one thing that's selling me is the HD video recording. I just bought a new still camera this year, and that and my iPhone are the only cameras I have. I don't have a video camera, and I really don't know that I need one since I took a video of my nephew's birthday on my Canon. With the bumps in the iPhone 4, I would only need a video camera for LONG events, and then I can borrow my dad's Sony with a 30GB hard disk.

If the new iPhone's construction makes it pick up 3G signals better, that would be even better. I'm on the edge (no pun intended) of a signal area at times and can apparently use all the juice I can get. I REALLY don't want to spend $150 on a device to give me a cell phone signal when I can see the tower a mile down the road.

7. Cougarcat macrumors 604

It's not Apple's fault. The chips are too expensive and aren't available yet in large enough quantities. Hopefully they'll be ready to go though in time for the next iPod touch.

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Yes I'm a little disappointed. I'm someone who can actually use the extra space. But it's only a year later until the next one.

9. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

There already is a 64 GB iPod touch.

10. uneek1 macrumors regular

And 180 gb iPods

11. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

That use HDD.

12. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Yep, it was my only non shallow disappointment (the other was I really disliked those round buttons and was hoping they were prototype only. I didn't even like the look originally but I'll admit it grew on me).

13. Shorties thread starter macrumors 6502a

They use 2 32GB chips for that though. I personally think they didn't do it because they wanted to keep it from interfering with the 64GB 3G iPad sales. Probably chip prices were a major factor though.

14. uneek1 macrumors regular

I wouldn't mind a little extra thickness if it meant a 180gb iPhone though..

15. corriewf macrumors 6502a

Considering that it now Records HD? Yeah, as HD videos are going to take a lot of space. :(

16. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

yeah i'm disappointed, but i was expecting the 64gb not to happen.

17. ammusk macrumors regular

You're missing the point. The iPod Classic has a hard drive for storage.

The iPod Touch, Nano, iPhone and iPad use flash storage. And flash storage is costly (if > 32gb) .

For the iPod Touch, I guess they use 2 x 32gb flash chips. However this may not be possible for the iPhone because of limited size.

18. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

19. Shorties thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, a Hard Disk Drive would kill the battery though, and cause issues with the operating system which was made for flash based memory.

20. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

A HDD is bigger than an iPhone...imagine a WD Passport, then add a battery, and processor to it.

21. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Yea, like Steve is going to let that happen.

Especially after the iPhone 4's "25% thinner" motto.

22. ammusk macrumors regular

I agree with you. My iPhone 3gs 16gb is fine for me.

23. uneek1 macrumors regular

Yea thats true. Guess we'll just have to wait for newer/cheaper technology.

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I am a little, however, it was probably the cost that kept Apple from adding it and keeping the same price points.

25. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

This is what people who bought a 3GS and can't upgrade say...maybe when you can upgrade, there'll be a 64 GB.