Anyone done a display upgrade in a non-unibody LED-backlit MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kalibar, Feb 19, 2012.

1. kalibar macrumors newbie

So I've got an idle '08 MBP 15.4" with a busted LED-backlit display (A1260, this model). I was inspired by baxterbrittle's incredible thread here on MacRumors that detailed his CCFL 1920x1200 upgrade, which is of course possible on MBPs just slightly older than my own.

Activity in the thread, and the information on this incredibly helpful consolidated writeup suggests that the procedure should be possible for the LED-backlit models as well with an LED replacement panel, but it would seem that nobody's done it yet. I don't necessarily mind being a guinea pig, but I'm hoping to at least get some guidance before I just start buying stuff.

My questions are:
    • Has anyone with an LED non-unibody MBP actually done this upgrade? If so, what panel did you buy and were there any 'gotchas' that would be good to know about?
    • It sounds like I need to track down a 15.4" 1920x1200 LED display from a Dell Precision M4400, but I'm slightly confused. There was an RGBLED WUXGA display on that model, but I think I'd need an WLED display for it to fit the MBP's chassis, right? Did that exist?
    • On the chance there isn't a good 1920x1200 panel available for this, is there a 1680x1050 panel that would be a good candidate?

Advice much appreciated. I don't mind taking a chance buying something that "should" work, and I'm definitely comfortable ripping my machine apart as it's not my main laptop or anything. It might become my main laptop if I can get a WUXGA screen in there, though!

Thanks for the help guys.

2. kalibar thread starter macrumors newbie

So after combing the original CCFL thread more thoroughly, it looks like the M4400's panel won't fit. This pretty much leaves me up the creek for 1920x1200 panels.

It does look like some of the 1680 WSXGA+ panels will fit. Should probably start there.