Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your s4 screen affected by vertical line issue or uneven tint display?

• Yes

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • No

Votes: 21 48.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
If you can see it during normal use then exchange. If you have to do tests in a dark environment which is not a normal use case scenario and have the issue I’d leave it alone. Cherry picking is a pain.

My lg OLED 65 is beautiful and I never notice any issues watching it but if I put up a grey screen I can see some uniformity issues as have many others. I don’t worry about it.

Sandoop

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2018
Sorry to hear that :/ once you see it, it can't be unseen. And unfortunately I saw it without even looking for it... it was that obvious.

Yeah I‘ll rather wait 5 weeks instead of having to see it every day :). And if the new one should be faulty again they can send the replacement to me instead of the Apple store - Strange policy.

Reactions: viperGTS

<3raining

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2018
Mine has this problem as well, but not as much as in the picture at reddit. But I would never know about it without this thread, so it’s not big deal for me

Reactions: Chopper read

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Mine has this problem as well, but not as much as in the picture at reddit. But I would never know about it without this thread, so it’s not big deal for me

I suspect most that with the Series 4 Apple Watch, will never seemingly look for this and even if they did, they wouldn’t know what to look for. Its just more frequent to find things inconsistent with tech on discussion boards like this. I also don’t find it to be a big deal either.

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
I suspect most that with the Series 4 Apple Watch, will never seemingly look for this and even if they did, they wouldn’t know what to look for. Its just more frequent to find things inconsistent with tech on discussion boards like this. I also don’t find it to be a big deal either.
Yeah. We know.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Yeah. We know.
I find it interesting that you obsess about every little detail on your watch, from forcing the display to show uneven lighting in a situation in which it's not really intended to be used, to looking at your speakers at an angle that they wouldn't be looked at while the watch is being worn.
At the same time, you are interested in buying Apple OEM bands from questionable third parties on eBay.
It's nothing personal, but it seems like you have a particular set of priorities that are limited to people who are in your demographic who are you, and I wouldn't think your priorities can be extrapolated to the general public.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Yeah. We know.

We know.... that you’re more of a rare specimen that dissects every little angle and inconsistency with your Apple Watch versus actually enjoying it. Even the ‘Light-bleed’, it is something worth noting and discussing, but as I mentioned, is it really *practical* for the every day consumer to go through a series of tests to see if their display is un-uniform? Likely not. I think when you factor in obsession and perfection in the same respect with a product like the Apple Watch, you take away from the actual fact that you can’t enjoy it, but you want to find things that may be wrong.

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
We know.... that you’re more of a rare specimen that dissects every little angle and inconsistency with your Apple Watch versus actually enjoying it. Even the ‘Light-bleed’, it is something worth noting and discussing, but as I mentioned, is it really *practical* for the every day consumer to go through a series of tests to see if their display is un-uniform? Likely not. I think when you factor in obsession and perfection in the same respect with a product like the Apple Watch, you take away from the actual fact that you can’t enjoy it, but you want to find things that may be wrong.
When a company practically advertises that their products were created with an obsession for perfection it’s not hard to see why some of its biggest fans may expect as much?

From what I hear folks are getting new S4’s without this defect, and it is a defect.. initial run woes and nothing more but to outright dismiss it and say to accept it is bizarre.

Sandoop

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2018
When a company practically advertises that their products were created with an obsession for perfection it’s not hard to see why some of its biggest fans may expect as much?

From what I hear folks are getting new S4’s without this defect, and it is a defect.. initial run woes and nothing more but to outright dismiss it and say to accept it is bizarre.

I simply asked Apple. Called them, uploaded the pictures of my Apple Watch and said I was interested if this is normal, within their tolerances or not. They said that this is definitely not normal and has to be exchanged.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
When a company practically advertises that their products were created with an obsession for perfection

No product will ever be ‘perfect’ if it’s mass produced, especially if Apple manufactures and sells hundreds of thousands of Apple watches a week, they can’t guarantee ‘perfection’ either. I think the most important thing that you’re missing in your post(s), is that a company that has a reputable product, should be able stand behind the product if indeed they identify the defect, isn’t that equally important?

As I mentioned, it _is_ worth noting in discussing the uneven display with the Apple Watch, but nor does the average consumer go to the extreme to conduct a series of tests to see if their display is uneven either, and other members have attested that they simply don’t care to to check for something that they wouldn’t notice unless it was intricately discussed ad nauseam on a tech site, similarly like looking for misaligned speaker grills..(<—The underlined is a clear example of Over-obsessing)

and nothing more but to outright dismiss it and say to accept it is bizarre.

I think this part of your quote needs to be clarified:

I haven’t read where anybody’s ‘dismissed’ the uneven display, actually quite the opposite, other members have acknowledged it, but maybe they (Other members) Are simply not driven to the point where they need to return their watch for something if their display appears to be completely normal under all the other usage and conditions. Those are Two things not mutually exclusive in your post.

Last edited:
Reactions: newellj

Lammy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
This is my SS delivered on launch day.

Attachments

• D317ABFA-87A7-44F2-96D2-E19053E0F640.jpeg
    D317ABFA-87A7-44F2-96D2-E19053E0F640.jpeg
    736 KB · Views: 365

dantay

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2006
UK
Based on the 6 series 4 watches I have now been through all from different week numbers.....the latest being week 41 I can say that in my experience they all exhibit this issue. The latest one I will keep as although the brightness is by no means uniform it doesn’t change to a distracting shade of yellow in the brighter areas on dark backgrounds. The one stainless steel Watch I had had the most uniform screen by quite a margin but had a purple colour push that was a no go for me.

It’s strange that this new screen has such pronounced uniformity issues when the series 1, 2 & 3 I have owned had none but did have black clipping in some cases.

Reactions: gtgt486d

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
The only time I see this on mine in normal use is when I'm in a darkish environment and have the settings app open with the list of buttons, or when I have the app view in list mode. I see like a lighter gradient on the last 3mm of the grey buttons on the right. It seems most noticeable when auto-brightness decides to use a low brightness (discussions as to why can't we set the brightness and disable auto-brightness is for another day)

Easy fix for apple is to change the level of grey on these buttons, or allow us to change the colour.

Any other instance I have to be looking for it. Everything else on my watch is perfect so TBH if this IS an issue I'll just keep it up my sleeve as a free AC+ replacement if I want to swap my watch out for "no reason" :cool:

Reactions: techno-Zen

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
If you're a scroll Digital Crown guy to light up the display that's when it's only TRULY visible in actual use. But let's hope this gets fixed long term.

dantay

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2006
UK
Gave it one more try.....unit 7.....uneven again.....all the aluminium units I have checked have it. Very poor in my opinion as lithography on small screens is not difficult to make even hence series 1, 2 & 3 being even. I wonder if LG make these? Disappointing.

Lammy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
I’m outside my 14 day return window. What are the steps to take to get this issue fixed / get the watch replaced?

stevenbeerbaum

macrumors member
May 30, 2015
I didn't. I bought the Watch last week and notice this as well. Every list has a slight green tint on the left. The test image (below) shows the issue. Poorly no store has replacement units or new units.
I decided to buy Apple Care + and get an express exchange. Let's see ... seems like there are no replacement units available at the moment ... Maybe this screen issue is the cause?

I had the same issue on my XS Max. Had to exchange twice to get a fully working one. I don't know what's wrong with this years OLEDs. iPhone X and Watch Series 0,2,3 were fine ...

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2018-11-07 um 17.59.58 1.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2018-11-07 um 17.59.58 1.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 327

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I didn't. I bought the Watch last week and notice this as well. Every list has a slight green tint on the left. The test image (below) shows the issue. Poorly no store has replacement units or new units.
I decided to buy Apple Care + and get an express exchange. Let's see ... seems like there are no replacement units available at the moment ... Maybe this screen issue is the cause?

I had the same issue on my XS Max. Had to exchange twice to get a fully working one. I don't know what's wrong with this years OLEDs. iPhone X and Watch Series 0,2,3 were fine ...

So to confirm, you've already requested an express replacement? Normally device on express replacement arrive in 2-3 business days.... are you on track?

stevenbeerbaum

macrumors member
May 30, 2015
Yes... I could have returned it in the Store within 14 days, but in Germany all Steel Watches are out of stock and it seems like it will stay like that. Express replacement was requested yesterday. I already know, that the new device will have similar issues, but I hope it's not as bad as mine. In addition, I already know, that after receiving my old device, they will say "Nothing wrong with it".

Regarding iPhone XS, the Store first rejected to repair the display. First they said it's because of True Tone ... Then they said it's "Typical OLED panel. Nothing wrong" ... I showed them photos and the device, but they didn't want to replace. It was even worse than the Watch posted above. Manager was called - Display was repaired and it's completely uniform ...

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Yes... I could have returned it in the Store within 14 days, but in Germany all Steel Watches are out of stock and it seems like it will stay like that. Express replacement was requested yesterday. I already know, that the new device will have similar issues, but I hope it's not as bad as mine. In addition, I already know, that after receiving my old device, they will say "Nothing wrong with it".

Regarding iPhone XS, the Store first rejected to repair the display. First they said it's because of True Tone ... Then they said it's "Typical OLED panel. Nothing wrong" ... I showed them photos and the device, but they didn't want to replace. It was even worse than the Watch posted above. Manager was called - Display was repaired and it's completely uniform ...

Be interesting to know what the new one is like. I have it to an extent on the right side of mine but it's not really invasive. I have AC+ too so may do an express replacement in the middle of next year

stevenbeerbaum

macrumors member
May 30, 2015
I already know, that two of my six people I know have "good" displays ... so there is a small chance. Will tell you how it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.