Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I'm surprised that the Apple Store doesn't lose all of theirs. They sit completely unsecured in little cradles beside the iPads. The other day, there was one just lying on the floor that no one noticed. I casually picked it up and put it back in its cradle. No one would have noticed if I had just put it in my pocket.

Reactions: salmankhan

lax28

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2014
New Jersey
At $99 I am very careful with mine. I have no idea when I got this, but I have a rubber piece that the pencil slides into and it attaches to lightning connector on iPad as a holder. Works well, I would attach link if I could remember where I ordered from back in Oct/Nov

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
I've been happy with this back cover.

In addition to holding the pencil, it gives the iPad a slight angle when you lay it down, which I like for writing.

Reactions: ccrgt

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
$100 down the drain

What's the best strategy of keeping track of it?

I took a clip off of a cheap pen I had that happen to fit onto the Apple Pencil perfectly. I also added a cheap gripper to the part where I hold it. Those two things allow it not to roll off a table, and also give me the ability to clip it to my Smart Keyboard or on the flap of my polo shirt.

Yes it's a bit rigged up and heavier with my modifications, but it was the best way for me to ensure that I didn't lose it.

Reactions: spriter

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
What's the right way to take that? Condescending, arrogant, obtuse or supercilious?

You're right, I'm sorry. It's just, these things are expensive and the first thing I read in almost every other review was that the reviewer lost the cap, or lost the entire pencil and how everyone was complaining how easy it was to loose the Pencil - you'd think people expected it to be chained to the iPad. I just think it's a bit irresponsible, it's like a first world thing. I mean, sure, it can happen to anyone, but there really is no special strategy to keep a 100 dollar pencil in your possession - you just pay attention and take care of it. Put it in your bag when you're done, examine your desk before leaving, etc.

Sorry I sounded arrogant, I apologize.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
Sorry to hear you lost it. Just to be warned, how did you loose it? Slipped out of a pocket?

I'm expecting to loose it, so I bought two :oops::oops:
I did put a Pentel P-205 mechanical pencil clip on one, and it's much easier to clip to my ASK, but I also find it annoying when I need to write a lot. It always ends up annoying and rubbing my hand. It's really odd, because it doesn't do that on the much shorter Pentel.
So with a moxiware pencil dock I charge always one pencil on my desk and the other is in use.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
You're right, I'm sorry. It's just, these things are expensive and the first thing I read in almost every other review was that the reviewer lost the cap, or lost the entire pencil and how everyone was complaining how easy it was to loose the Pencil - you'd think people expected it to be chained to the iPad. I just think it's a bit irresponsible, it's like a first world thing. I mean, sure, it can happen to anyone, but there really is no special strategy to keep a 100 dollar pencil in your possession - you just pay attention and take care of it. Put it in your bag when you're done, examine your desk before leaving, etc.

Sorry I sounded arrogant, I apologize.

Okay, accepted :)

I disagree though. Diligence only works for a few days, then routine takes over. The best way to not lose something is to have a home for it and get into the habit of putting it there, but Apple really haven't given us any help with that - no clips, slots, magnetic connectors, cases, stands, etc. and the cap won't go on the other end of the pen like a regular cap, so users will have to invent and compare their own techniques for not losing those little bits especially if they move them around a lot. The Pencil is an accessory so it's already vulnerable to getting overlooked. The cap is an accessory to an accessory. And the ridiculous charging adapter on the cable is an accessory to an accessory to an accessory. It's little wonder bits are getting lost.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I have a Tom Bihn backpack that goes everywhere with me. The Apple Pencil goes into the pen holder in the side pocket whenever it's not in my immediate possession, just like the Adonit and Surface Pro stylii that have preceded it. I've been carrying those with me traveling around the world for years and never lost one. The charging adapter goes in a small accessory pouch that clips inside that same pocket in the backpack, along with the spare tip.

The trick, as mentioned, is to have a regular, permanent safe place the Pencil goes every time. Just like my wallet and house keys!

Reactions: friedmud

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I still use the original Apple Pencil box for transporting it. So in class, I take it out of the box, and after lessons, keep the pencil back into the box before throwing it into my bag.

So far, the only places I use the pencil are at work and at home, and there hasn't been many avenues to lose it yet.

Atreyu25

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
My aging grandmother, suffering with memory loss, thought my Pencil was nice and decided she wanted it. Couldn't find it for a week and it "magically" showed up in her computer case. Thankfully I have it back now.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I just got an iPad accessory case from SF Bags/Waterfield Designs. As I always carry my iPad in a bag either my Rickshaw Bags messenger bag or North Face back pack ( depending on how many other things I am carrying ) I just put my pencil, charger and various cables as well as the pencil charge adapter in this case. I admit it's expensive but I've not seen anything else that works as well plus their quality is very good.

I keep my pencil, pencil charge adapter, iPhone charger and cable, Apple Watch charge cable, and headphone cable ( for when I can't use Bluetooth ) in there. As I just got it and my pencil hadn't left the house prior I can't comment on how secure it will be but I believe keeping it in that case when I'm not using it it should be safe from being lost or mislaid.

https://www.sfbags.com/collections/pouches/products/atelier-ipad-gear-case

DaniJoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2015
California
i use this, it has pencil holding rings and so many pockets. fits the ipp 12.9 perfect. plus it converts in to sketch platform for plein air painting or sketching. also supports a tripod.
[doublepost=1461778816][/doublepost]
i use this, it has pencil holding rings and so many pockets. fits the ipp 12.9 perfect. plus it converts in to sketch platform for plein air painting or sketching. also supports a tripod.
http://www.nomad-artist.com/

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I do wish they did like all stylus devices I had in the past, include a slot for it. But they didn't, and I didn't want it attached to the device itself. I have always had a Waterfield Designs slip case for my iPads, the one I had for my Air 2 works perfectly for my iPad Pro. It has a sleeve in the front. I purchased a clip off Amazon, same one I have on my trusty Fisher Space Pen. I had to squeeze the clip a little bit covering it with a cloth and using pliers, and it slid firmly onto the Apple Pencil. When not used, it either stays in my front pocket, or that sleeve on the case. Nowhere else.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
My aging grandmother, suffering with memory loss, thought my Pencil was nice and decided she wanted it. Couldn't find it for a week and it "magically" showed up in her computer case. Thankfully I have it back now.

Well, she's right... It is a very nice pencil. Though it must have frustrated her when she discovered it was out of ink.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I occasionally use a pen clip I liberated from just a normal pen. But more than anything else I use diligence.

It may not be the most expensive of items, but nor is exactly cheap and throwaway. So with something like the Pencil costing as much as it does I make sure I don't leave it anywhere. If I can remember to pick up my iPad, I can remember to pick up the Pencil with it ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.