Anyone else amazingly disappointed at the direction Apple has taken the MBP line?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DDar, Oct 14, 2008.

1. DDar macrumors 6502

DDar

I mean, don't get me wrong, the laptop is pretty and all but... Only glossy?! Even with the cinema displays?! Are they mad?!
    There's a REASON people buy matte! It's for more reliable colors! Also, it's kind of nice to NOT see your mug on the laptop at ALL times. <_<
    Are they TRYING to alienate their customers who depend on their screens?!
    I mean, not ALL of us are casuals who just need the computer for surfing the web and typing, some of us actually depend on our screen!

God, I feel so let down. Now, I'm really glad that I got my Hi-Res 17'' MBP when I did instead of waiting for the refresh. =(

2. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

I'm pretty disappointed about the glossy thing as well.

3. 2Sticky macrumors regular

Theres no distinction now, they don't look very 'pro', they only come with glossy screens, think I shall check out the refurb section.

4. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

ABout as "Pro" as the little kiddie keyboard... those chiklet keys just look so cheap and jr league.

5. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Good thing they're selling those proprietary video adapters so you can hook it up to a matte external display :rolleyes:
    I too dislike the idea of offering only glossy. I prefer the glossy myself, but completely understand the need for matte, especially if you work outside or near large windows.

And the cinema display thing, it seemed like they introduced this one specifically for notebooks, with all those fancy cords for laptop connectivity. Maybe there will be options for desktop use in the future (Jan?). Just a thought.

6. whitehexagon macrumors regular

whitehexagon

was thinking the same although I normally depend on my externals for most my work. But even that is going to set me back an arm and a leg now.

"Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter" £69 or $99 ouch!

How many people are using externals that support DisplayPort? not that many I bet!

7. Skyldig macrumors regular

I think we have to make a new word for disappointment :(

8. stagemanagerav macrumors member

Is there a place to go for people like me who want to sell their Early 2008 MBP to get a new MBP??? I see a lot of complaints about the new ones and would love to help someone get that MBP they always wanted, complete with old style keys and all :D

9. NJPitcher macrumors regular

Got to disagree there - I think they look cleaner, ad they feel soo much better. I have my 17" MBP and love it when I type on friend's MBs.

I love the multitouch, I really think it's the future. Unfortunately, I like nothing else about the new MBP design. What's with the lack of ports - talk about limiting functionality.

10. MBX macrumors 65816

Yeah very disappointing.

It seems that Apple is thinking way too much about the ipod and iphone line and doesn't really care anymore about it's pro users.

11. whitehexagon macrumors regular

whitehexagon

On the bright side, they finally ditched the intel integrated graphics and made an excellant decission to go NVIDIA accross the line, hurray!!!

12. Brazzo79 macrumors newbie

I can only hope that I`m not have to pay for all this videoconnectorstuff.

13. larval macrumors newbie

Yes, me. Not impressed by the lack of matte option. Don't care that much about looks, but the old one did look significantly nicer. And more expensive on top of it? I think the refurb site is going to get really busy. ;)

14. WHM macrumors regular

I would also be interested... have an early 2008 15" matte screen 2.6... 4 gig ram

15. MVApple macrumors 6502a

Well there direction doesn't make sense to me either. Glossy displays are something the average consumer wants, but not the professional. If you depend on color accuracy though, their 6-bit tn screens aren't exactly that great either. The average consumer is getting to a point where they want blu-ray and hdmi and both are missing from this laptop. The blu-ray rocket is already half way in the air, and by this time next year it'll be on the moon and Jobs missed the ride.

So he's saying that licensing is too complicated although most pc manufacturers have offered it for months now.

16. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Sorry to say this..but those new MacBook Pro's are "Butt Fugly"!!

I think somewhere Apple has gotten confused with the demands of pro users and merged them with cheap and nasty consumers. I'll be ordering a MBP 17 while they remain unchanged, seeing the new design I don't wanna own any part of it, it's cheap looking also I definitely don't need all that extra glare thanks...

I'd love to say "Jony Ive, your sooooo sacked!" adios

17. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

x2, except I want a MacBook again, now that they have better video! Kinda scared of a piece of glass that big being bumped around in my laptop bag though :-O

18. ghostwriter macrumors regular

ghostwriter

I'm very disappointed with the keyboard. I understand the efficiencies in the manufacturing process when you're able to use the same component across all product lines. Apple typically knows where consumer trends are headed.

Time will tell if they hit mark. As of this posting, Apple stock is down -6.13 pts.

This "refresh" feels more stale than fresh.

19. VFXToby macrumors newbie

AHhhhh man.... I cant beleve they havent updated the 17" moddle! Its still got the dogdy GFX chip and all!

Seriously i need screen size from a Pro laptop. Anybody dooing video, compositing or 3d will needs the space. Not to mention a serious grafix card!

Been waiting 3 months... If they dont sort that out i may have to buy a PC :eek: :eek: :eek:

20. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Im not at all impressed TBH.

Ok cool, better GPU and CPU is what I wanted.

But not at £300 more than the top spec kitted out MBP before it.

They can shove it tbh.

Guess im waiting for the quads next year! :rolleyes:

Oh and lack of matt = the suck.

21. marvel2 macrumors 6502

Its like a mashup of consumer and pro notebook design...fugly.

On a side note, anyone wanna sell me thier 15" 2.6 mbp? lol

22. andrewisnot macrumors member

andrewisnot

I've always disliked the black trim around the imac screen and now it's on the MBP. Ugh. Also, I think that the words 'MacBook Pro' along the bottom in white would be very distracting. Loving my penryn 17" matte a little more today!

23. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

Somewhat disappointed by MBP.

I was looking forward to getting a new MBP and then I see this... The 17" model, while being less powerful (minus the video card) is worth way more than the 15". And lack of the 3.06GHz now? What's that all about?

I hope they don't do the same thing with the iMac, because that is my next option, and I'm waiting for a revision on that thing now.

24. stagemanagerav macrumors member

I have an Early 2008 15" Glossy 2.5GHz 4GB RAM 200GB @ 7200.

25. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

yeah if they are going to work with nvidia they could at least give the mac pro a little attention.

I mean the 9600gt in the new 15" macbook is about the same as the 8800gt option for the mac pro, the fastest non workstation video card you can get for the mac pro. And the 17" mbp, the one meant for professionals, is still the same, no new gpu, just new hard drive options.