Anyone else annoyed by the fact that you only have USB-C on the new MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jas5279, Sep 16, 2017.

1. jas5279 macrumors member

Hey guys,

You guys probably would've discussed this a long time ago. I'm planning on getting myself the new MBP pretty soon (never owned a MB before). But I am seriously annoyed by the fact that after spending a fortune on the MBP itself, I then have to BUY separate dongles to make normal flash drives work on the computer. Using flash drives and HDMI is something I've been doing for years. And now I'll have to first buy equipment to make them work plus will have to carry it around which seems like a headache to me. Is there some hidden advantage of not having these USB ports that I don't know about?

Thanks!

2. ldpm14 macrumors 6502

ldpm14

Not really. I love the fact that I can plug in at my desk with one cable and connect to both of my monitors, keyboard, mouse, ethernet, hard drives and charge my laptop.

3. baypharm macrumors 68000

baypharm

Hmmmm...I just purchased a new MBP 15" from the Apple store (last week) and it has USB 3.0 ports and a magnetic power plug. No USB-C anywhere to be found.

4. Sully macrumors regular

Sully

The USBc technology is terrific. So far, I've noticed it's way faster and more convenient. I've already spent way too much for a laptop. I could have purchased a perfectly capable Win10 laptop for less; So, a few more dollars for some dongles won't break me.

If dongles are a deal breaker, take a look at the SurfaceBook Pro. I was very close to buying it. It's a nice laptop - in some ways nicer than the MacBook Pro. And,it has all the legacy ports you could ask for.

5. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502a

mcpryon2

I like having four ports that I can make do whatever I want. Buying a few new cables for new tech is nothing new and really not a big deal.

6. jerwin macrumors 68020

haswell is an older architecture, isn't it?

7. ixxx69 macrumors 65816

TB3/USB-Type C is awesome. I'm glad Apple is phasing out the old USB ports as quickly as practical, and that they didn't compromise their new laptops with legacy ports just because a very small percentage of users literally cannot handle the notion of buying a few new cables and/or adapters (and yes, in rare cases there's gear that just won't be compatible anymore... it happens all the time with both hardware and OS updates - it's a drag, but same story since 1984). They even sell flash drives with both the old and new USB connectors.

It's just astonishing how much people around here want Apple to be something it's not and never has been.

8. baypharm macrumors 68000

baypharm

Well, all I know is it is still being sold as new on Apple's website. They must have a good reason for keeping it around.

9. Mobster1983 macrumors 6502a

TB3/USB-C is awesome. Can’t wait til my dock gets here next week so I can plug everything into one port and never have to worry about it again. Tech changes, that’s the nature of the beast. Keep up or quit bitching.

10. ldpm14 macrumors 6502

ldpm14

You basically bought a 2015 computer still being sold today.

11. baypharm macrumors 68000

baypharm

God bless Apple!! Gotta love'em!

12. jerwin macrumors 68020

sometimes the tradeoffs are worth it. legacy ports, cheaper price.

apple sometimes keeps an older model alive and kicking to appease a known market.

eg, I once had a Powermac g4 that was introduced alongside the powermac g5 (which I suppose I should have bought instead). It ran OS9, and in fact only had a firewire 400 port because it was specifically designed to run OS9 if the owner had the need. Still ran circles around the imac model.

skylake has a better gpu, and can decode h.265 in hardware. But if legacy ports are important, well...

13. Matt Leaf macrumors 6502

I’m actually more frustrated by the amount of ports. 4 isn’t enough. If Apple had added a dedicated MagSafe port *and* four ports, that would have been much more welcome. In any case, 6 tb3 ports on the next gen machine would be the way to go. In practice I don’t actually mind the dongle life, it’s not much different from previous gen workflows with TB to HDMI adapters and Ethernet adapters and so forth. And for the most part you can just buy new cables. But there are caveats, and ymmv on what works and what doesn’t with your preexisting gear.

In my case, I already had a usb hub, so that takes care of a lot of things, but it’s not powered at the moment, so I cant plug external drives into it or anything.

As it stands my ports are maxed with my current setup, which works totally fine. But an extra port or two would give the flexibility to just chuck in a thumb drive or plug in whatever it might be, rather than having to hot swap whatever I’ve already got plugged in (which could be something as important as a video output or audio interface - something *you don’t want to* unplug)

14. dingobiatch macrumors member

To those who say they love it because of being able to plug everything in at once - what dock/hub are you using? There seems to be a lot of not well reviewed products on Amazon, and I'm just nervous it will end up being another situation like USB 3.0 enclosures (ones that constantly disconnect and have various issues due to chipset compatibility with Mac systems)

15. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

OP:

If you don't want USB-c (I didn't want it, either), you still have options:
    1. Buy an Apple-refurbished 2015 MacBook Pro (13" or 15"). They have a full complement of legacy ports and a better keyboard.
    2. If you want a 15", Apple still offers (as new product) the 2015 design in the 15" size.

If the above aren't acceptable to you, then it's "dongle city", next stop... :)

16. mcpix macrumors 6502

I just recently purchased a 13" MBP and although I think the whole dongle thing is somewhat overblown, I'm still surprised at how few peripherals take usb-c. I have a Samsung external ssd and after purchasing the correct cable I'm able to connect it directly usb-c to usb-c. Everything else I have or use (SD cards, thumb drives, printers) requires an adapter. Like most PC manufacturers, I think Apple should have included a usb-c as one of several port options.

17. xWhiplash macrumors 68000

Yeah but the thing is, go on MonoPrice and get some very cheap $5 X to USB-C cables. I got two DVI to USB-C cables for only $11 to connect some old monitors. I also got USB-B to USB-C for around $3. Also, pick up a Sabrent USB-C hub for $15. It does not require AC power, and is VERY small. It can easily fit in your laptop bag. It will give you 4 USB-A 3.1 ports.

You do not need to buy Apple's dongles or cables.

The older MacBook Pros were not immune to dongles, I have no idea why people treat this as something new. I also have a 2013 rMBP. How am I supposed to connect to an old projector that only has VGA? How am I supposed to connect to Ethernet? How am I supposed to have a keyboard, mouse and a few external hard drives connected?

I take it as quality vs quantity. 4 TB3/USB-C ports are much more powerful than 6 USB-A, 1 charging port, 1 HDMI, and more.

18. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

I was anti-USB-c only when it was first announced just like I was with the no headphone jack.
    Now I can’t imagine an annoying cord tethering me to my phone.
    USB-c?
    I can’t wait to buy a new MBP and a couple of hubs. The only thing I miss is the sad slot

19. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

It caused me so much distress that I stopped using computers entirely.

20. kindaichi81 macrumors member

nothing annoyed at all. usb-c (TB3) is future proof. you can have adapters to convert from TB3 to any other legacy ports, but you cannot do it opposite way.