Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
So I'm grandfathered on the 200 for $5 message plan and since I've been using iMessage alot, I get sent this message as an email weekly and as a text around twice a month.

Do they think I'm stupid enough to think I'll actually save money cause I'm sending free texts via iMessage more often? Or is it that a certain department can't tell the difference between iMessage and regular texts?

I never got this message before until I started iMessaging heavy, so I know it has to do with them counting my iMessages.

Subject: An Update about your messaging usage.

Because you enjoy text messaging, we'd like to help you save on your monthly bill.

Consider upgrading to Messaging Unlimited with Mobile to Any Mobile Calling. For just $20 a month, you can text as much as you want and talk for free to any U.S. mobile number, no matter what network it's on.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I never got this message before until I started iMessaging heavy, so I know it has to do with them counting my iMessages.

Considering that iMessages aren't counted by AT&T since they can't count them, it's unlikely they're texting you for that reason.

iMessage shows up on the data network as an encrypted XMPP packet, no different from a push notification sent to your iPhone. AT&T has no idea if the traffic going back and forth is a lot of iMessages, a rapid-fire game of Words with Friends, or the result of you suddenly getting very popular on Facebook or twitter.

Do they think I'm stupid enough to think I'll actually save money cause I'm sending free texts via iMessage more often? Or is it that a certain department can't tell the difference between iMessage and regular texts?

No, there's no one there trying to analyze whether you're smart or stupid. At all.

What you're getting from AT&T is likely a generic blast message being sent to all users with old messaging plans to try to get them to upgrade. Doubtful they did any sort of analysis beside whether you had the unlimited SMS plan already, or not. They probably didn't even take the effort to find out who had iPhones on the list of recipients, or Blackberries for the matter. Just hit everyone, and see what happens.

Unfortunately, the approach is exactly like spam: hit everybody, because the few who actually heed the message makes the (very small) effort profitable.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
I have friends that have the same message plan and they aren't getting these AT&T messages. I noticed this as soon as I started iMessaging much more heavily. My regular texting has been normal. It just feels like too much of a coincidence to me.

Also I never recieved an other type of blast on such a frequenty basis.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I have friends that have the same message plan and they aren't getting these AT&T messages. I noticed this as soon as I started iMessaging much more heavily. My regular texting has been normal. It just feels like too much of a coincidence to me.

Also I never recieved an other type of blast on such a frequenty basis.

lol. Do your friends have a $5 outdated texting plan? I hate to break it to ya - but carriers don't count iMessage. AT&T marketing texts are random.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
lol. Do your friends have a $5 outdated texting plan?

Yes some of them do, as I already stated.

I hate to break it to ya - but carriers don't count iMessage. AT&T marketing texts are random.

Not all of AT&T marketing texts or email are random. And I know carriers don't count iMessages as far as billing but they can surely tell when an iMessage is being sent\recieved.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Not all of AT&T marketing texts or email are random. And I know carriers don't count iMessages as far as billing but they can surely tell when an iMessage is being sent\recieved.

for the second time: no, they can't. Before make a statement like that, you should learn more about what iMessage actually is.

All iMessage is is an extension to the apple push notification system. And that in itself is an extension of XMPP, which is the same standard used for Google chat, jabber, and lots of other IM and server message protocols. Encryption is part of XMPP's core.

So, all AT&T can tell is that you're communicating with apple's servers; something iPhones have been doing long before iMessage existed. AT&T can't tell whats in the traffic, just that it's there. Maybe they could assume that lots more of that traffick over their network means you're using iMessage, but it could just as easily be photostream, or itunes match, or icloud, or you deciding to use a new app that generates a lot of push traffic.

You're also ignoring the fact that if you're on wifi, AT&T doesn't see the iMessage traffic at all, because it's not going over the cellular network.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
for the second time: no, they can't. Before make a statement like that, you should learn more about what iMessage actually is.

All iMessage is is an extension to the apple push notification system. And that in itself is an extension of XMPP, which is the same standard used for Google chat, jabber, and lots of other IM and server message protocols. Encryption is part of XMPP's core.

So, all AT&T can tell is that you're communicating with apple's servers; something iPhones have been doing long before iMessage existed. AT&T can't tell whats in the traffic, just that it's there. Maybe they could assume that lots more of that traffick over their network means you're using iMessage, but it could just as easily be photostream, or itunes match, or icloud, or you deciding to use a new app that generates a lot of push traffic.

You're also ignoring the fact that if you're on wifi, AT&T doesn't see the iMessage traffic at all, because it's not going over the cellular network.

Yea I get it, but it's just too much of a coincidence for me. That first time I recieved the message was about a week after I was iMessaging heavily. I wonder if I stop, will the messages stop? Why didn't I recieve these messages before I started iMessaging heavily.

Also I have recieved other messages that have to do with paying less for a tiered data plan(cause I'm on unlimited) and getting a larger talk plan. But I've only recieved those about once or twice via email. Why am I getting email on a weekly basis and texts about twice a month about texting and not the other stuff?

OlgaJ

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
Florida
I have the $5 text plan and use iMessage too. I've never received a text or email like the one you've received.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
I have the $5 text plan and use iMessage too. I've never received a text or email like the one you've received.

How much have you been using it? I been sending/recieving about 300 times daily. Before the AT&T messages, only around 10 times daily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.