Anyone else bummed about no DVD Lion to buy?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by MaskedCarrot, Jul 20, 2011.

1. MaskedCarrot macrumors regular

I'm really bummed that Apple decided not to come out with a DVD copy of OSX Lion like previous releases.

I prefer to do clean installs and not updates, and a DVD copy makes that really handy. Plus a DVD copy has the latest Bootcamp drivers, which is great being as I also have Windows 7 on my iMac.

Sure I've read you can download it and burn it to a DVD or use a USB drive, but I hate being forced to do that.

I would prefer to just walk into my local Apple store and just buy a copy of Lion and be done with it.

2. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...able_on_usb_thumb_drive_for_69_in_august.html

Problem solved

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Apparently you did not read:

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/20/apple-to-sell-lion-on-usb-thumb-drive-starting-in-august-for-69/

So now you can stop the whining.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Get used to it and the time to really discuss and be bummed kind of took place when Lion was announced and it was made very clear, no physical media at launch. Not saying I like it, but we better get used to it.

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

6. MaskedCarrot thread starter macrumors regular

But selling Lion on a USB drive is no less "Being Green" than pressing DVDs, and more expensive.

It doesn't make sense that they would sell it on USB and not DVD.

7. WiBu macrumors member

Given that they seem to be moving away from DVD drives, it makes perfect sense.

8. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

Of course thumb sticks are greener, they are smaller and so more can be transported at one time. They're easier to make, requiring less energy, and they're easier to maintain as they won't scratch, so they won't break in transit.

9. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

USB because the ODD is disappearing on many Macs. Besides you can burn a copy to DVD yourself.

10. drewc1138 macrumors 6502

11. TheBigKing macrumors 65816

TheBigKing