Anyone else buy Garmin USA on 11-25 for $25? Good deal? Better than Navigon/TomTom???

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
I haven't had a real chance to test it out yet but I wanted to get some feedback to see if anyone else had the stones to buy a $25 app and what they think of it.

I come from using Waze but I wanted a gps app that didn't have to use data (maps on board) and was simply biding my time for the right price. I figured I was going to hold out for $15 Navigon 'my region' but that never came (only $19.99) so for another $5 I ended up going with the $25 Garmin USA app instead.

Do you guys feel $25 was a good deal for the Garmin application?

Any thoughts on the app compared to the other regulars? (tomtom, navigon, etc)

Thanks for your input :)

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Shows $49.99 for me too. Did you have a promo code or something?

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
not to take away from Garmin, but Navigon and Tom Tom are on sale. Navigon is a STEAL at $30.. a better than standalone unit for just $30..

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
But that doesn't include the 'upgrades for 2 years'?
no it does includes map upgrades. it will include them at major revisions, like 2.1 for example.

the fresh maps or whatever is to get map updates every quarter. for me thats utterly useless as I've never had a problem with it, and I've had navigon for nearly 3 years?

i don't think navigon did a good job explaining the map upgrades available and what not but be assured that updates are free and will be more than once every 2 years.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

"Good deal" I'd highly subjective. I'm not a fan of their app so it isn't a good deal at any price IMO. There are plenty of existing threads on the various nab apps. Read up and see which seems like a good fit. If you like the app and you get a good price then it is a good deal. Randomly polling others won't tell you if you like the app or not.

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2011
I use MotionX and dont see how it could really get any better. I actually liked the free Google Navigation when I was on Android but not sure when/if that will be an option on iOS.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Main difference is the Garmin app doesn't use data. I agree MotionX is nice but if you want all the maps on-board, it's a choice between Garmin, TomTom, and Navigon. Maybe a few others now, I quit looking after I got Garmin USA.
MotionX can preload maps for offline use. However, that feature or perhaps how it is implemented, leaves much to be desired in my opinion. I don't want to trust or ASSume the maps I need will be there when I don't have net access. I don't get that feeling with MotionX and won't unless the app lets me clearly choose what to download and when to delete it (as opposed to a "cache" that I cannot see nor control other than deleting or changing its size). It is a shame as I do like the app itself.

But the latest Navigon is the best of both worlds: you can carry all of the maps locally, or only what you need to save space--and easily download more if you need them on the road. I used to do part of that on my iPhone 3GS and 4 by jailbreaking and copying off the maps I did not need then deleting them off of the device. With no jb for 4S I was going to have to store all maps with Navigon. The new updates gives me more flexibility than the jb solution (i.e., now I can get maps I need while out and about).

Michael

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
MotionX can preload maps for offline use. However, that feature or perhaps how it is implemented, leaves much to be desired in my opinion. I don't want to trust or ASSume the maps I need will be there when I don't have net access. I don't get that feeling with MotionX and won't unless the app lets me clearly choose what to download and when to delete it (as opposed to a "cache" that I cannot see nor control other than deleting or changing its size).
Is motionx car navigation or more like topology navigation?

Monssef

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2011
I haven't had a real chance to test it out yet but I wanted to get some feedback to see if anyone else had the stones to buy a $25 app and what they think of it.

I come from using Waze but I wanted a gps app that didn't have to use data (maps on board) and was simply biding my time for the right price. I figured I was going to hold out for $15 Navigon 'my region' but that never came (only $19.99) so for another $5 I ended up going with the $25 Garmin USA app instead.

Do you guys feel $25 was a good deal for the Garmin application?

Any thoughts on the app compared to the other regulars? (tomtom, navigon, etc)

Thanks for your input :)
I snatched it yesterday for $24 I have been using garmin for a long time since I had the ppc windows phone. I cant figure out how to get the 3d buidings and landmarks.

jkeekij

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
I snatched it yesterday for $24 I have been using garmin for a long time since I had the ppc windows phone. I cant figure out how to get the 3d buidings and landmarks.
Look in Settings>Navigation>Map View

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
I've had it for a few months, but the iPhone 4 isn't beefy enough to provide a top notch GPS experience. For whatever reason (CPU, antenna, etc.) it's always a bit "behind". Not a big deal in Kansas where the interstate exits are miles apart, but on my very first use I missed a turn because the phone showed me still sitting at the light. This was pre-iOS5 and before the recent update.

I've been a GPS user for a very long time and not a receiver snob. :) If your GPS shows where you've been and not where you are it's a problem.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Is motionx car navigation or more like topology navigation?
Well we should have been more clear: the app is actually GPS Drive by MotionX. I believe MotionX makes non-navigation GPS apps but GPS Drive is definitely for car navigation (with walking option, like most navigation apps).

Michael

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Been using Tom Tom app for almost 1.5 years. Very satisified with it. I have gotten a lot of value out of the $50 I spent. Tom Tom is on sale also.

Tom Tom has updated the app many times.

Garmin (while my favorite stand alone gps) is a little behind in the ioS software.

I see a lot of complaints on the review. Hoping it gets better.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I was about to get it too when I saw it posted for $25 and $29. I posted here questions but no one responded. So I didn't download it :(

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
no it does includes map upgrades. it will include them at major revisions, like 2.1 for example.

the fresh maps or whatever is to get map updates every quarter. for me thats utterly useless as I've never had a problem with it, and I've had navigon for nearly 3 years?

i don't think navigon did a good job explaining the map upgrades available and what not but be assured that updates are free and will be more than once every 2 years.
I'm still confused. Another poster suggested to get the regional and somehow you'll get USA. How is this possible when you purchase a regional package?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.