Anyone else concerned about scratching on the Space Gray and Gold rMB finishes?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by athletejmv, Jun 12, 2015.

1. athletejmv macrumors member

So I ended up purchasing myself a base model rMB from Best Buy in Space Gray. I had a $260 gift card and 10% mover's coupon... I ended up paying around $900.

My issue however is that I wanted to purchase a silver rMB. There have been none available in the last month or so other than in Space Gray for my area within a 50-100 mile radius (I live in FL). It appears Space Gray is the most popular color, which is the brunt of shipments right now for retail store inventories. I understand that I could have ordered the silver rMB on BB.com, but I have my reasons for not doing so. I believe from reading around online that the silver finish will hold up better over time than the Space Gray when/if scratches accumulate.

I'm concerned about the finish wearing off or scratching easily on my Space Gray rMB. I had an HTC One M8 with an anodized finish and it simply just came off, even with a case on. There were no scratches or changes in texture on the body of the phone, the finish/color just simply came off as if there was just clean/bare brushed metal like it came that way from the factory.

Has anyone else had any issues yet with the Space Gray finish wearing or scratching off on their 2015 rMB (Gold as well)?

After posting this I noticed there was a similar thread at the following link:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/scratch-wear-concerns-grey-gold.1867825/

2. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Space Gray is the most popular based on the fact that you find the most in stores? Wouldn't that mean it's the least popular? If it's harder to find Gold or Silver, but a bit easier to find Space Gray, that's how I'd interpret it at least. Likely the Gold and Silver are being diverted to filling backorders placed, hence them being more popular. I've seen a lot of silver and gold, haven't seen many space gray. I love the look of space gray. It shows finger prints much more than silver, and a little more than gold, so I went gold.

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

It could mean they stock more of that particular one because it is more popular.

OP, I have a Space Grey iPod Touch 5G and I don't use a case and even with placing it and picking it up of so many different surfaces and having it in my pockets, etc, the finish is still looking great. This is the best relation I can offer. I hope it helps.

4. athletejmv thread starter macrumors member

You make a few good points. I'm assuming gray because that's what a couple of Apple stores told me in addition to a BB Apple rep. The BB Apple rep said it's a niche product and people choose Space Gray to have something different. Also, in many of the poles I have looked through, to include Macrumors, the Space Gray wins out as the color of choice. Another observation is that many popular reviews of the rMB appear to review the Space Gray models i.e. Lisa with Mobile Tech review, Linus-Linus Tech Tips, Techno Buffalo, Erica Griffin, Tech Crunch, Marques Brown so on and so forth.

5. JoePa2624 macrumors regular

JoePa2624

I'm always concerned about damaging Apple laptops. Their beauty comes at a cost. So I ordered a simple sleeve to keep it in, and will also be ordering a Dbrand skin very soon.

6. athletejmv thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Dark Void, I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I do have a Space Gray iPhone 6, but it's in a leather/soft iPhone case. The HTC One I mentioned, looks great, but it's a bit older than my iPhone. Considering that you don't use a case on your iPod touch, the finish sounds somewhat promising/durable.

7. athletejmv thread starter macrumors member

I'll have to agree with you. I did end up ordering the Carbon Fiber armor Full Body (Black) from bodyguards. It was a biz pricy (about $48 total w/ship), but had the most coverage. I'm concerned the plastic snap on cases will wear off the anodization as well.

Maintaining the appearance is also important to me because of resale value...
    I forgot to mention that in my initial post.

8. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Indeed. I only have a screen protector to avoid scratches there. The finish has held up very well, I even throw it in the same pocket as my keys sometimes, which I know I shouldn't do, but perhaps thats an extra testament to ease your mind.

9. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Personally space gray is MY favorite color rMB even though I have a gold. LOL.

10. JoePa2624 macrumors regular

JoePa2624

I really like the contrast of the gold with the black keys and black bezel around the screen. I'm not secure enough to own a gold computer, but I really like the way they look. It's almost a shame putting a case/skin on them. I went with the space grey and will be putting a black leather Dbrand skin on the cover.

11. palmwangja macrumors regular

palmwangja

I just love the way SG iPhone 5s is getting old. the combination of black/grey/white coming from scratches is just awesome.

12. sdugoten macrumors regular

Just buy one of this and you don't have to worry about scratches.

http://www.bestskinsever.com/macbook-12-inch

13. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

14. maryunani macrumors member

My goodness. $900. What an unbelievable deal. Well done.

And, yes, of course people would be concerned with scratches. It's an Apple product, like, duh.

Full disclosure I don't have a rMB, but they say it's aluminium and judging from the three color choices, the rMB would have about the same finishes and material characteristics of an iPhone 6. If that's true then it can be scratched (mine is). If.

But then again protecting a laptop is way easier than protecting an iPhone. Just put a sleeve on it. No need for a skin because you're not going to put a laptop in your pocket with your keys in it (you won't put it in your pocket at all, obviously). No need for a hardcase except if you're going all Murphy's law on dropping your laptop (although, saying that, no MagSafe now). Just put a sleeve on it, and when you're working, use it as a desk mat (is that what they call'em?).