Anyone else dissapointed with the rollout of Thunderbolt products?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jmcgeejr, Aug 19, 2011.

1. jmcgeejr macrumors 6502

jmcgeejr

I am in desperate need of an external thunderbolt drive carrier preferably 4 ports. It's one thing left for me to migrate off my old desktop, USB is not fast enough, and I am not going to drop the cash for firewire 800. I have esata right now and TB looks to be a good replacement. Hell I would even take a TB to esata adapter.

2. jmacnash macrumors newbie

It does seem to be crawling along. If the architecture really is based on the PCI-E spec why is implementation taking so long?

Are the delays at all related to Apple making this a copper based format rather than the optical approach Intel had designed it for?

3. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Well if Lacie sticks to their word, their Little Big Disk should arrive within the next 5 weeks.

4. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

Really want that TB 27" to become available soon!

5. admanimal macrumors 68040

All I want is that stupid Lacie drive or just a plain enclosure to stick an SSD in.

6. stefmesman macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Even that "stupid" lacie drive will cost you atleast 150 for the enclosure.

7. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

Probably a combination of cost of development, cost of manufacturing (the thunderbolt controller isn't exactly free, it's a quite large integrated circuit) and market share. So far, only Apple computers offer thunderbolt capability and Apple's world-wide x86 market share is less than 10% of all desktops and laptops sold.

Also, since TB is very high-performant, there's no real reason to put it into every knickknack you connect to a computer. The obvious targets for TB support are big bandwidth hogs like external storage and such, and not everyone needs that.

Be patient though, things will start moving eventually, particularly when the cost of the interface start to drop...

I'm sure that was an Intel decision, since they're the ones who actually developed the hardware. Intel has said that their silicon-based lasers aren't cost-effective enough yet, so an optical implementation would have been too expensive.

8. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Yeah, OP.. if you won't drop the cash for fw800 it is going to be a long time before you are using thunderbolt.;)

9. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

It's very disappointing that nobody has anything out. Are the Apple Thunderbolt Displays even shipping yet?

10. waw74 macrumors 68030

it normally takes a year for peripherals that use a new port show up.
    and thunderbolt is still a pretty specialized port, not many people need that speed.

look at the number available drives with USB2, FW400, and FW800.
    pretty much all macs have been shipping with FW800 for a few years, and the percentage of drives available with them is pretty low.

11. jmacnash macrumors newbie

[/COLOR]
    Actually, I have it on pretty good info that the switch to Copper over Optical was Apple's idea and they also drove the name change since Lightpeak would have been hard to explain without an optical connection!

Of course we have seen on some of the stories that have come to light about the draw of the CPU chips that Apple has had to push Intel before...

I am interested in having a second big bandwidth bus running on my Laptop for audio applications so I can have one dedicated to interfacing and one for drive access. So if the external drives come out soon I will be pretty happy. That seems like a good start to me.

12. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

No. This is publically released information directly from Intel. An optical connection would have been ~10x more expensive than copper using today's technology. It wouldn't have been affordable to squeeze into a consumer product.

Besides, Apple lacks the know-how to make these kind of decisions. Intel has the best silicon engineers on the planet, and they're the party that developed thunderbolt, and they made the call.

Lightpeak was just a development code name, rest assured it was never intended to be the final name for the interface. Intel always has development code names for their products, for example the original core i7 was called Nehalem, then came Lynnfield, and now Sandy Bridge, next is Ivy Bridge next year, then Haswell, and so on and so forth.

Now, Apple may well have been the ones who picked thunderbolt as the actual name, but that doesn't mean much in the big scheme of things. :)

Audio doesn't actually need much bandwidth, you could fit hundreds of CD-quality audio channels within a couple megabytes per second. Thunderbolt-based audio would be rather overkill, like killing mosquitos with cannonfire. :)

There are good USB2 sound solutions, and probably stuff for firewire as well (but that's probably more expensive since it's not as common an interface); either would be quite sufficient for audio needs...

Thunderbolt disk I/O will arrive in due time, if you don't want to buy that ridiculously expensive RAID enclosure whatsitscalled, that I think is for sale right now actually...

13. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Cast your mind back to the late 90s and think how long it took for USB products to roll out.

14. waw74 macrumors 68030

finally someone else remembers this, and how slowly USB2 items started to appear on the market.

15. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Prediction:

Thunderbolt is going to prove slightly less popular in the mass market as firewire 800.

How many folks do you know that use their firewire 800 ports, vis-a-vis their USB ports?

16. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I'm not disappointed. It's a new standard that may take awhile to be utilized across various models etc. Who knows what will happen after the hype clears.

17. admanimal macrumors 68040

I'm willing to spend quite a bit on it, considering the only way to get a comparable effect on my iMac would be to ship it off to someone I trust to open it up and install an SSD.

18. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I'm not too worried about lack of external HD options - a single HD in a Thunderbolt case will be fairly pricey and probably wouldn't be worth the price in terms of speed increase. For RAID, yes. For a single drive, no.

I would however like to see FireWire, eSATA or USB 3.0 adapters. Now those would be handy.

19. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Agreed. And a gigabit Ethernet for my MBA.

20. jdechko macrumors 68040

Without buying a separate monitory, that is. ;) As has been mentioned before, a thunderbolt breakout box would be great for something as portable as the air. Basically, just take Sony's media station and change the connector please.

21. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I would be running off to the Apple Store with cash in my hand and a milk me sign on my forehead.

22. KPOM macrumors G5

I contacted Sonnet through the marketing e-mail on one of their press releases, and while they didn't have an update on the availability of the Thunderbolt-to-Firewire or Thunderbolt-to-Gigabit Ethernet adapters, they did say that they will be announcing another Thunderbolt device tomorrow that will ship by the end of October. They also claimed that other previously-announced devices will be shipping "soon." We'll see. I'd really like to see two things:
    • Thunderbolt HD enclosure (I have a 128GB SSD in a USB enclosure that I use for backup - Thunderbolt would make it as fast as my internal SSD
    • Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet for faster migrations from my Time Machine backups to new Macs (they have some time before I'll need this)

23. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

When USB first came out, it was several YEARS before the trend finally caught on. It takes time and commitment from the developers and if they don't need to add extra costs to their designs to make it Firewire, they won't. The current firewire market is VERY small so why develop for it right now? As a consumer would you be willing to spend another $50 on a $100 hard drive just to have Firewire? Some would, some wouldn't. Until it is standard on machines, it is going to cost a premium and the number of devices will be very limited.

24. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

While I like the flexibility that would offer, that is quite pricey. You need that, a Thunderbolt cable and a card - just to connect it to an external peripheral.