Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anthony T

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I've come to realize how great the Premium subscription of Spotify can be. For $10 a month, you have unlimited music. You can even make your own playlists and save them, as well as save entire artists' catalogs to your music library, just like a regular iPod.

Of course, I have a few select artists that I really love and I'll still buy their music on iTunes no matter what, but I really think it's great not having to pay $1.29 per song when you can pay $10.00 a month and listen to whatever you want.

Think of how much money you can save a month and even in a year. Not to mention if you listen to the majority of your music through Spotify, it will eliminate the need for an iPhone with a higher storage capacity.

Anyone else agree?

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I won't. I stop my subscription for any reason, what do I have to show for? I'm interested what Apple will do with Beats.

Think of how much money you can save a month and even in a year. Not to mention if you listen to the majority of your music through Spotify, it will eliminate the need for an iPhone with a higher storage capacity.

Anyone else agree?

And I have iTunes Match, so I don't need a higher storage capacity also.

Anitramane

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2013
I borrow Cds at the library (there are tons) and rip them in lossless for free. Completely legal and free. A great way of getting a lot of legal music.

Spotify never interested me much.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Completely legal and free.

Until you have to return those CD's. You don’t own any rights to the music to rip them when you no longer have the CD in your possession. Once you return it, it’s the same as ripping your friends copy of a CD. It’s not allowed.

csixty4

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Somerville, MA
Consider giving Google Music All Access a try. They have a big catalog like Spotify, and you can also upload your personal collection for those harder-to-find tracks Google doesn't have.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I borrow Cds at the library (there are tons) and rip them in lossless for free. Completely legal and free. A great way of getting a lot of legal music.

Legal until your return the CD. Then your copies are officially illegal.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011

Spotify never interested me much.

I'm pretty sure that isn't legal. In theory, it's illegal to rip any CD you didn't directly pay for yourself. Because the record label loses money of what could have been a possible sale.

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
Until you have to return those CD's. You don’t own any rights to the music to rip them when you no longer have the CD in your possession. Once you return it, it’s the same as ripping your friends copy of a CD. It’s not allowed.

Indeed. In fact, I am reporting him to the authorities as we speak :rolleyes:

Spotify is nice but I prefer to actually have the music stored on my device so I don't have to stream over cellular data, which is not very efficient.

StevenB14

macrumors regular
May 23, 2012
Scotland
Spotify is nice but I prefer to actually have the music stored on my device so I don't have to stream over cellular data, which is not very efficient.

A Spotify premium subscription allows you to do just that. You can sync for offline listening.

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Consider giving Google Music All Access a try. They have a big catalog like Spotify, and you can also upload your personal collection for those harder-to-find tracks Google doesn't have.

I've learned the terrific value of Google Play All Access Music and now use it nearly exclusively, at home, in my car, and at the gym.

Recent rumors suggest Google may acquire Spotify, a blockbuster deal that would be amazing.

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
A Spotify premium subscription allows you to do just that. You can sync for offline listening.
Yeah but why pay a monthly fee? I don't buy music very often and most of my music library is from CD's.

Nothing against spotify. I just like a feeling of ownership over music I buy, I suppose I'm old fashioned.

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
No. My bandwidth at home and my data plan don't allow for it.

Plus, as others have said, I don't want to be locked into paying $10 per month to keep my music forever. When the subscription isn't renewed, all that money you spent is effectively down the drain.

StevenB14

macrumors regular
May 23, 2012
Scotland
When the subscription isn't renewed, all that money you spent is effectively down the drain.

Not really. You are paying to use the service for each month. Not exactly down the drain.

I love having a Spotify subscription for use on my iPhone. Much easier and quicker to sync music for offline use rather than having to get to your computer and sync from iTunes.

Don't get me wrong, I still buy music for those albums I want in my collection. In fact, having the Spotify subscription has probably got me buying more music than before. It gives me the opportunity to listen to albums that previously I wouldn't have bothered because I didn't want to buy it on a whim.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
I did a while ago. $10 a month is like buying one album.

I'd rather have unlimited access to all music, and even offline download listening.

Spotify and similar has murdered album sales I imagine.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I ditched Spotify for Deezer, as they did not have a BlackBerry World app.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
When I used Spotify, BB10 was at 10.2.0, which had somewhat weaker support for Android native APIs, so it did not work.

Aha, fair play. I can confirm it works just fine on 10.2.1.2977 (Blackberry Q10). :)

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Aha, fair play. I can confirm it works just fine on 10.2.1.2977 (Blackberry Q10). :)

OK, but I still prefer supporting a company that bothered repackaging their Android app for BlackBerry World, and tested it. And if their app goes further and is actually Made For BlackBerry, even better.

Last edited:

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
Not really. You are paying to use the service for each month. Not exactly down the drain.

I love having a Spotify subscription for use on my iPhone. Much easier and quicker to sync music for offline use rather than having to get to your computer and sync from iTunes.

Don't get me wrong, I still buy music for those albums I want in my collection. In fact, having the Spotify subscription has probably got me buying more music than before. It gives me the opportunity to listen to albums that previously I wouldn't have bothered because I didn't want to buy it on a whim.

Say you spend 5 months at $10/month building a library of 500 songs. That's 100 songs a month for $10, not too bad.

You choose not to renew the subscription because you need the extra money for Christmas or something. What do you have to show for the $50 you just spent?

It's down the drain. You have zero music for $50, plus you get to rebuild your library elsewhere should you move to another service.

And once again, some of us don't have the bandwidth to use Spotify without paralyzing our home networks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.