Anyone Else Ditching Their iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sjf73, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Sjf73, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012

Sjf73 macrumors member

I am in no way anti-Apple. All of the hardware in my home and business is Apple and I have had iPhones since the 3G, but having spent a week with my new 5, I've had enough. I am not going to enjoy typing this, and am extremely disappointed to be so unhappy with something Apple given the money I've invested in the company's products and the loyalty I have for the brand.

The final straw is noticing the the edge of the band is just starting to lose its colour, with tiniest amount of silver just starting to wear through......and before anyone says it, I really don't see why I should expect a £529GBP piece of hardware to start to look tatty with normal use within a week.
    It has been used normally in the same way as all of my previous iPhone's and lives in my trouser or jacket pocket with whatever else is in there at the time. In one week my 5 looks worse than the just over 12 month old 4S it's replaced.

The lightning cable is a total pain. I have TomTom iPhone 4 cradle, a charger upstairs, one downstairs and one in my iMac plus a car charger......and one lightning cable that I keep having to take everywhere with me as the lightning adapters don't seem to be available anywhere in the UK yet, least of all Apple itself.

And when they are available I don't really want to invest money in a load of adapters that aren't compatible with the iPad2 that is also charged with the existing cables that I already have in different parts of the house.

I also don't want to have to remember to take another piece of plastic with me when I take regular trips with my iPad and iPhone.

The touch screen has been problematic from the getgo, often needing to be touched 4 or 5 times to get a reaction.

I don't like the way it feels in my hand. The 4/S feels lovely to hold and use in a way that the 5 just....doesn't. It feels too big, too light and frankly, quite cheap and tinny compared to the 4S.
    The longer screen is great if you watch videos or play games, but for general usage I find it quite cumbersome.

I know this is terribly negative, but there are genuinely so many things I just don't like about it.
    This is the first Apple product that I have fallen out with......The iPhone 4S was a huge leap in terms of quality and over all feel and looks over the 3G with its plastic back, but I really think the 5 is a retrograde step compared to the 4.

Whenever anything Apple has been launched before, there's always been something ultra special and innovative about it that has set it apart even from its own products let alone other brands. With the 5 there is nothing at all really!

So as of tomorrow my 5 is up for sale before it looks any worse, and I shall be very happy to go back to my lovely, chunky, quality feeling 4S....Just have to get Vodafone to give me a microsim again!

We'll see what comes out next year and perhaps try again.

2. chdwil macrumors regular

3. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I think the 5 is great and no way I'd want to go back to a 4S, but we all have diff prefs.

4. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I'm sorry you feel this way. I love my iPhone 5, but I guess tastes and opinions can differ. For me, it also helps that I literally use zero docking accessories, so the switch to Lightning was nothing but improvement.

5. PerPlekz macrumors member

Welp, okay im sort of on board with you about the scuffing. Hey they used anondized aluminum. That's the risk they took and the risk we take. A case will suffice but, not everyone uses cases. I understand that. Valid complaint.

But as soon as you mentioned the new dock connector, your arguments are null and void. Do you understand that if you go to a non-iphone, you will STILL have to buy new dock connectors, phone chargers, etc?

Also, are you saying that since apple is using new dock connectors, that you will NEVER buy another new iphone again because you have so many of the old ones?
    Get over it pal, it was their strategic decision to change the dock connectors for future technological advances...

6. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Best iPhone yet. Can't image a complaint that it's "too light". No way would I give up my "Darth Vader Edition" iPhone 5.

7. vegastime macrumors regular

Really liking my iPhone 5 more than I thought I would. It does everything so much faster, especially with LTE.

8. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

I agree in what OP has said especially the weight and feel of the 5.

9. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

Wow you made an account just to tell us that!
    Thank you!!!

NOT

Troll somewhere else!

10. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

oh relax Francis.

welp is not a word.

11. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

This. There is something seriously wrong with the coating Apple is using for the aluminum.

12. iHeartapple2 macrumors 6502

iHeartapple2

I think we all use our phones in different ways and for different things and this may be the reason some love or hate the new iPhone. If you are one that keeps your iPhone in your pocket then I think you will be with the crowd that is experiencing the scuffs and scratches. The next thing you have to realize is that Apple was not going to keep that bulky 30 pin connector forever. The new smaller connector will be the new norm and I wouldn't expect any more changes for quite sometime. I personally love the new iPhone 5 and have been using it since last Friday with no problems or regrets. Just remember if you go back to the iPhone 4 or 4S sooner or later you will be forced to revisit the new connector once again as these older phones get phased out over the next few years.

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You have a defective iPhone 5, as indicated by the aluminum band wearing prematurely and a defective touchscreen.

----------

Bet it's a defective batch.

14. johnothy macrumors regular

johnothy

I might be returning mine depending on the battery issues I have with it and the 3G only reception (with 4G LTE off) and it going into 2G mode most of the time. I'm not as concerned with 4G LTE as I am having a phone that lasts through the day with moderate use. But it is frustrating even with 4G LTE off that I can't seem to get decent data reception on 3G.

I expected Apple to have a better battery for this phone. It is barely any bigger than the 4 and 4S battery for a larger screen and 4G LTE connectivity.

15. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

Return it and buy a White one. The white won't have paint rubbing off issues, but could still scratch through the aluminum if you put it with something abrasive.

16. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

*shrug*. I'm fine with mine. No paint wearing off and its been performing fine. I'm certainly not gonna complain about it being too light or cheap feeling (come on seriously?!)

Overall i'm enjoying it.

17. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

something to consider....if you plan on getting an iphone in the next 5-10 years, you will probably have to upgrade your docks b.c lightning is the new charger. Why the 4S may be the temporary solution, the ultimate solution is to upgrade now and start the transformation :)

18. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I agree, but I think the transition would be easier if there were more accessories available with the new connector. For example, I can't replace my speaker dock with an iPhone 5 compatible one because there isn't one.

19. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

I take my black one out of the bumper once a week to make sure no dirt is trapped in it. No scratches, in my pocket all the time, in rain, snow even thus far, great phone. I have climbed a 14,000 peak with it this week, has not really been indoors since Sunday, it rocks. All my chargers interface with USB so with the extra cable I bought, I am covered. Any audio I do is with the audio out / headphone jack anyway, never liked the potential stress that the docks placed on the plug to begin with.

It's fast as heck, love it!

If in 2-3 years it looks "brassed" like some of my cameras from wear, no biggie, I make money with my phone, it is a tax write off......onward...

20. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

Great post. I wish more people had this mentality enough so that Apple would actually care to do something about it but i'm afraid there are too many loyal/clueless Apple fans out there for this to ever happen...:(

21. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I went ahead and upgraded with the likely intent to sell it.

But it has grown on me quite quickly, I think its a keeper :D

22. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Hey mate, why are you selling it? You have 14 days to return it and get your money back. I had mine for a week, and will be calling tomorrow to arrange a return. Not sure if I might try the white or get a refund.

23. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

...and last, most likely.

BTW, OP, please do leave (but not for the reasons most of you are thinking).

The more people leave Apple b/c of QC issues, and other choices, the more competition will increase. This will, hopefully, push Apple forward to less likely to rest on its laurels and instead innovate and improve b/c right now it's just an embarrassing blowout. :)