Anyone else ever donate to Wikipedia?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by OdT22, Nov 29, 2018.

?

Do you donate?

1. I have

14 vote(s)
    53.8%
  2. I haven’t

8 vote(s)
    30.8%
  3. I won’t

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. OdT22 macrumors regular

OdT22

I finally gave in and donated tonight. Granted, that I have read there for years now.

Anyone else think they are worth supporting, or not?

2. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

Would be interesting to include a poll with this thread.

I would like to donate to Wikipedia, and some other useful, interesting or good causes, but being paid the equivalent to less than $US 1,000 a month, and not having a credit card, it is neither viable nor practical for me.

My charitable instincts are more directed to folks I know who need a hand one way or another for one reason or another..... With a good outcome in some cases, but others turn out to be a lost cause.

3. OdT22 thread starter macrumors regular

OdT22

Done

4. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

I would if there was an easy completely anonymous option. Donate to one charity and your mailbox gets flooded with charities asking for money.

5. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I donated to them two years ago. My mother donates to them regularly.

6. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I donated a few years ago and got the standard message of thanks. I never heard from them again till about a month ago with one of those 'Thanks for that contribution a while back; I'd hate to ask but we need money again.'

It's not that bad and yeah I use wiki's a lot so I thought I was due to contribute personally.

7. jbarley macrumors 68040

jbarley

I find it a good source of info so yes, I donated.:)

BTW, I've never had any messages in my inbox from charities asking for money, so that excuse wouldn't cut it for me.

8. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

9. Tech198 macrumors G5

At the end of the same, they have donations every year.. because every years they seem to run low...

When members step in and fuel the costs. Wikipedia is "safe again, till next year" then its back on again.. So i never donate just because of this..

If it was a system of leaving it for a few years, then perhaps, but they want donations "every year" So mid-year they are always fine ? I find that hard to believe, being user driven.

sounds like a plan. Best way to go.

10. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 603

T'hain Esh Kelch

I've donated before, as I see Wikipedia as a very important part of our culture, and a global bastion for the fight against misinformation. Also, it is very much my first go-to encyclopedia, so it is worth paying for. I've learned so much on that site!

11. A.Goldberg, Dec 2, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2018

A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

On my 13th birthday I was taught to figure out how much money I'm going to donate to charity and pick what charities I want to support. Every year since then on my birthday I reevaluate who I'm donating to and how much. This is after researching and vetting the charities I'm interested in. Very rarely do I spontaneously donate to anything outside of that set plan- unless it's some sort of local fundraiser that's a negligible cost. To put it concisely- generally I will not donate to colleges/universities directly (though I will support independent scholarship funds) and never to political campaigns or organizations, environmental charities with the exception of land conservations, or arts/culture charities. My focus is usually healthcare, disaster relief, and international development as well as academic scholarships.

So Wikipedia spontaneously asking for donations doesn't fit with my rigid charity plan. I understand Wikipedia has expenses however they receive quite a bit in grants and corporate donations. I've read articles suggesting they are quite healthy financially despite the rather dire sounding appeals for donations. If they really wanted they could change their business structure and probably become a multi billion dollar company. It's also somewhat unclear what the Wikimedia Foundation intends to do with their money beyond maintain their site. The hospital I work for is non-profit, as hospitals go they spend more money on unnecessary things than anywhere else. You'd think a non-profit hospital would put patient health treatment and access and research at the forefront... not furnishing our offices with expensive furniture from stores like Restoration Hardware, Pottery Barn, West Elm, etc. The 2 wing chairs in my office were $900 each. :rolleyes: Fine for a living room, but is this a good use of the hospital's money?

Personally, I believe my money can be put to better use elsewhere, though I don't mind donating my time and knowledge to adding to the content of the site in areas where I feel I am qualified to contribute. My big thing when it comes to donating money is what is most important to society. For me, I feel something like finding a treatment/cure for Alzheimers or ensuring societal advancement in underdeveloped countries is far more important than supporting an arts program. I do think Wikipedia is an important component of our society and culture- I wouldn't have earned my PharmD without it haha. I just feel obligated to donate to more global and pressing matters.

My grandfather came to America as a Holocaust survivor. With hard work and some luck he died a very wealthy many. After his death he donated millions of dollars to charity. He also started a college scholarship fund for high school students which is still running today and managed by my father and his siblings. I'm really much involved with it at this point but it is interesting to see how the charities assets are invested to maximize the funds.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It does seem a bit bloated to be honest. I don’t see why Wikipedia needs a massive team. They need to do more with less.

13. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

14. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

While I plan what / where to donate, as part of that I have flexible amount from which I can donate spur of the moment.
    If I have not used that by the end of the year, I add to one of my set picks.

15. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR