Anyone else experience a quick graphics glitch after waking screen up?

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by SRLMJ23, Sep 30, 2017.

1. SRLMJ23, Sep 30, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2017

SRLMJ23 macrumors 68000

SRLMJ23

I am on a 2015 13" MacBook Pro, and I have my setting so my computer never goes to actual sleep where the SSD is shutdown and all that, I just have my display set to turn off after 5 minutes. Anyway, when I wake my Mac up, right when the display turns on there is a quick what I would call "graphics glitch" where you see some crazy different colors (red, green, blue etc. but in no order, scattered all over the place) and then bam it goes away and my desktop is showing and the screen is perfect. There is no issue with the screen after that one second or less (probably less) glitch and everything looks great. I am assuming it is just a glitch in High Sierra that will probably be patched in the next release. Anyone else experience anything like this, and if so or not, is it something I should worry about or would you think like I do it is just a High Sierra glitch that will be patched? I really do not want to have to do another clean install. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I was reading through the "High Sierra bugs and bug fixes" thread and saw at least four other people with the same exact issue on the same exact MBP, one even had a screenshot. Must be an issue with our GPU, which is Intel Iris 6100. At least now I can rest easy knowing my machine is not going bad!

:apple:

2. masterbaron macrumors 6502

masterbaron

Not at all ... not at all ... same issue here at bottom of screen as well as lost display screen scaling prefs.

3. ignaciobarrena macrumors regular

ignaciobarrena

yep, same issue here and same macbook. Report to Apple, I already did it.

4. ljjycss macrumors member

ljjycss

I had this issue on sierra. Mine is a 2016 15" Pro. From crash log, it was caused by gpu failure during wake up. Issue was solved by replacing logic board.

5. Miscellaneous macrumors regular

Miscellaneous

6. dreadlord macrumors regular

dreadlord

I had exact same issue. I did clean install of High Sierra and it is gone now.

7. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

Can confirm I'm experiencing this. Probably a Metal 2 bug.

8. jassmex macrumors newbie

jassmex

I had the same issue. I'm reinstall on a old version (10.13.1) and the issue has gone!. To try, I update again to 10.13.5 and appears again! So it's a bug on versions 10.13.2 and up. I hope Apple resolve this asap.

9. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 68000

SRLMJ23

The issue has been resolved for sometime for me now. I think it was 10.13.2 or 10.13.3 that resolved it on my machine. I am currently on the latest version of High Sierra (10.13.5) and have not had the issue return.

You can try a fresh install, or really the only other thing you can do is a bug report...or rolling back to a High Sierra version that worked fine for you before. Rolling back will leave you without the latest security updates though, so I would advise against that.

What type of MacBook Pros do you have that are affected? Same as me, or different ones?

10. dreadlord macrumors regular

dreadlord

Same as you: Retina MacBook Pro 13" (Early-2015).

The issue is still here on macOS High Sierra 10.13.5. I hope this is fixed on Mojave, I will not update to beta software to test.

11. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 68000

SRLMJ23

Very strange. I had the issue when High Sierra first came out, and like I said, even after a couple updates it still was not fixed. I think it was 10.13.3 that fixed it on my machine.

I know it is a pain, but did you try a fresh install?

Also, if I were you, I would still send in a bug report.

12. shafez macrumors member

shafez

I have tbe same issue too, I think it happens when os switches resolution because I tried the default res for my 13" which is 1280x800 and it does not happen, only see it on 1440x900 and higher and the same on Mojave beta.

13. Painter2002 macrumors 6502

Painter2002

Not sure if this is similar to what you are experiencing but I have a whole thread of people who are experiencing a static/snow like glitch when waking their computer from sleep. It started after High Sierra update 10.13.4

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...nitor-static-after-waking-from-sleep.2113498/
    --- Post Merged, Jun 21, 2018 ---
    Sorry I just realized that OP said his issue had corrected itself on later updates

14. dreadlord macrumors regular

dreadlord

Yes, same issue.

15. mj_ macrumors 6502

mj_

Same issue on a 2017 12" MacBook. Looks like good ol' TV static in color instead of black & white.

16. l j m macrumors newbie

Same issue! Reset PRAM, SMC, even re installed entire OS! Still happening! I've read that some people sent in their computers to get a new logic board or screen, and still happening!

17. Painter2002 macrumors 6502

Painter2002

Yeah I returned two units and even my final replacement unit has the issue. Senior support said that this is a software issue and they are working on fixes for future updates.

18. steveimp macrumors newbie

I sometimes get a glitch the other way - that for a spring second I see the screen as it was a few seconds before during boot down.

19. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I see it both on my '16 Macbook and '11 iMac, so it is not a Metal thing, since the latter doesn't support Metal. But definitely a common thing.

20. steveimp macrumors newbie

I'm now seeing the Mac progress line on boot when I switch off the machine now.

Very weird things since upgrading to 10.13.x

21. Silverium macrumors newbie

Silverium

Still happening now in a MacBook Pro 2016 with touch bar with High Sierra 10.13.6