Anyone else feel more comfortable than usual "holding out" until the next iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sdilley14, Sep 6, 2013.

1. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

Just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat as me? Normally, any time a new iPhone is on the horizon I'm in a frenzy trying to sell my current phone so I can upgrade to the newest one. And while I'm interested and intrigued by what the IP5S is (likely) going to have (better camera, faster, finger print sensor, etc.), I actually feel more comfortable than usual holding onto my IP5.

Primarly I feel this way because...

1. There isn't going to be any type of case/body re-design (aside from 1 maybe 2 added color options).

2. iOS7, the biggest revamp of the OS that they've ever done. I think just installing iOS7 alone is going to be enough of a "new phone" feeling for me to tide me over until next summer/fall.

3. While there should be an expected speed bump, I don't *think* it is going to be as significant as the bump was from the 4 to the 4s (obviously I could be wrong). The 5 still feels plenty fast to me and I imagine it will run even faster/better with the updated OS.

I am very interested in the rumored "graphite" color option, but it still isn't quite enough to give me that "I NEED that!!" feeling I've gotten in the past.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'm waiting for the iPhone 6. But that's only because of my upgrade path.

I've been on Sprint since 1999. I waited four years for Sprint to get the iPhone and in 2011 they got the model(s) I DIDN"T want (4 and 4S) so I waited another year. Last year I preordered and got my iPhone 5 on launch day. For my very first direct, brand new purchase from Apple I am extremely happy with it.

I'm also locked in to a two year contract.

Since it seems to me the 'S' models are only a fundamental internal change I'm actually happy to be on this particular upgrade path. I'll have the 6 next year when the talk will be about "Are you staying with the 5S, 5C or getting the 6?" I'll be getting the 6. I'm happy with that because this upgrade path is major model number changes, not 'S' incremental changes.

My iPhone 5 is jailbroken and does everything that it seems iOS 7 does, so I am content in waiting for the iOS 7 jailbreak. I love the look of my iPhone 5, I love that it's black and I love the build and feel of it. Since I don't sell my phones I'm not in any frenzy.

All of this then (the mad scramble and desperate questions about unconfirmed features), has been interesting to watch.

3. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

It feels like I bought my iPhone 5 yesterday (got it at launch). So it's easy for me not to want the 5S when my 5 still feels so new to me..

4. sdilley14 thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm on the same upgrade path and am pretty content with it.

I've had good luck in the past selling phones and basically getting my upgrade/on contract phones essentially for free (sold my 18 month old IP4 for $250, used that $$ to buy the IP5 on contract for $199 I believe?). It sounds like good condition IP5's are going for about $500'ish right now, and I'm guessing the 16gb 5S off contract will be $599, so it is slightly tempting, but it isn't quite worth paying the $99 difference and going through the hassle of selling and switching phones for a new phone that I'm going to want to upgrade when I'm eligible again when the IP6 comes out.

----------

Same here. I got my IP5 this past December and it still feels really new to me and is still running great. I just don't have the "tired" feeling I had with my IP4 (though I had my IP4 for 18 months and it started feeling reeeeeally slow and laggy towards the end).

5. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

I will hold judgement until the new iPhone launch. now one knows what other features it might have beside the leaks, and i'm guessing apple still have some trick up their sleeve.

if nothing new is compelling obviously will hold for next year iphone,
    I've done the same with 4S announcement and skip it until the iphone 5 i'm using.

6. MacCruiskeen macrumors 6502

7. jamesapp macrumors 6502a

I plan on getting the 5s.

But just wanted to say I got my iPhone 5 about a month after launch. Just had it replaced at an apple store. And it does look and feel new to me.

8. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I'll look at what the 5S has to offer, but in all likelihood will be skipping it.

I know it sounds silly, but I just have a gut feeling that the 6 will be a 'wow' phone just like the iPhone 4 was back in 2010.

9. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

My 5 was recently replaced less than a month ago and there is nothing I have heard so far that makes me want the 5S.

So, most likely skipping it.

10. Parkin Pig macrumors 6502a

Parkin Pig

4s

I got my 4S on launch day. Having been in various cases since then it still looks and works as good as new, and there's nothing about it that leaves me wanting more, so I'll be hanging onto this one for some time. My main requirements are making calls and texts, the camera, and checking my email. None of these has significantly improved since the 4s.

For those of you about to lecture me on speculated improvements in the 5S camera, I'm a published photographer who normally uses a Canon EOS 1D mkIV, so any marginal improvement the 5S may offer is highly unlikely to change my mind. The 4S camera coupled with a few choice apps, can yield excellent results.

As for iOS7, I'll look out for reviews as to how it runs on the 4S before I upgrade. If it's likely to struggle on the 4S then it won't get installed.

11. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

I have the 5 and am totally happy with it. Paid full retail to keep my unlmited data and am still loving it. No reason to upgrade to a 5s. I could care less about a faster processor or dual LED flash lol

12. Bag302 macrumors regular

I have a JB'd 5 and I'm pretty happy. I'm less excited than normal for this release for sure. And I'll probably only upgrade if a larger screen is announced.

13. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Am not on a frenzy at all. In fact I never buy anything new and prefer the bleeding edge people to deal with inevitable bugs before I jump into it. So nope. Always buy unsubsidized here so am not even "pressured" to upgrade. MY schedule.

14. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Obviously if you already have the iPhone 5 then the 5s isn't targeted at you :rolleyes:

It's targeted at 4s owners who are due for a 2-year upgrade and still have a phone lacking LTE or a 4" screen.

4s owners won't want to buy a year-old iPhone 5 with outdated technology though, so Apple spices things up even more with things like faster processor, better camera, better battery life, fingerprint sensor, etc.

15. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

I upgrade (by choice) every 2 years. 3G to 4 to 5, then when it comes out I'll upgrade to iPhone 6. In my opinion the "S" models are just an improvement of the non "S" models (except the 3GS over the 3G). I'm quite happy with the speeds and camera of the iPhone 5, which is probably all the 5S will offer is better camera and improved speeds, and probably some little things I probably won't care about.

16. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I'm always comfortable skipping a generation and not buying the newest iPhone.

It's just a phone...not having the newest iteration is nothing that would create any discomfort of any kind under any circumstances.

17. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Every year. Every god damned year it's the same.

Miley-Mouthed losers descend upon the forums and state that the next iPhone is not for them and who's with them.

Only to turn around any buy it the second it's released. :rolleyes:

18. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Won't be me. I only have my iPhone 5 because I held on to a portion of our tax refund for seven months. If I could afford an upgrade each year, I might, but as it is now I can barely afford an upgrade every two years and that only with our refund.

19. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Blaspheme! :p

20. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Once you're on the upgrade cycle it shouldn't cost more than 200 to upgrade every year.

21. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Very much so. I honestly don't have any desire to upgrade this year. iOS 7 will make my 5 essentially feel like a new phone scratching that itch. Plus I am know paying full retail to keep my unlimited and I'm not paying $700 for the same design. I'll wait until the iPhone 6, most likely it'll be the 6C honestly. I'll have a hard time paying $700 for a cell phone. There's even a distinct possibility I'll wait until the 6S and buy a used 6 if my 5 lives that long.

22. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Sure, if I'm buying the lowest GB version. But the version of the iPhone 5 I wanted was the 64GB. I've waited since 2007 for Sprint to get the iPhone and I waited a year more because I didn't want the 4 or 4S. But I DID want the maximum I could get. With Applecare+ that comes out to a bit over $500. That's almost $1100 subsidized if I upgrade my wife at the same time. If I want to buy outright with no contract that's even more.

If I have to wait to get the cash together for what I want I am a very patient person, because I'd rather wait and spend for what I want then spend early and deal with the disappointment of not getting what I really wanted.

23. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

I'm waiting for the iphone 6. The 5 is satisfying my needs, I don't need faster processor or led flash. The S model will be perfect for someone who want to upgrade from the 4 :)

24. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I know.

I'm bad...:(:eek:

25. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

why would you feel unconfortable in anycase? This is a computer tool and a phone - the difference between last year and this year and next isn't critical at all to your life except for a very few people.
    Do you feel unconfortable because you didn't buy a new car this year to replace last years - how about your TV or you home computer - why do you even need or want to replace every year.

I guess vendors love people who feel they have to have a new every year.