Anyone else get this email? "Important Information about your iPhone Activation."

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by IndianGuy, Sep 14, 2012.

1. IndianGuy macrumors regular

IndianGuy

Called the number, but it keeps playing music :(

2. Surrylic macrumors regular

Sad to see that! But no, no email here as of yet.

3. valdan87 macrumors newbie

Yes!

I just got two of them. Back to back. I don't know whats up!

4. IndianGuy thread starter macrumors regular

IndianGuy

Hate it when apple provides you a number to call and plays only music on it :D

Also, normal Apple customer support (automated) hangs up after telling that its too busy. What a way to treat customers!

5. linsam macrumors 6502

linsam

6. valdan87 macrumors newbie

Just got through! Waiting to talk it over with a representative.

----------

So my purchase glitched and put in 2 orders for the same phone #. I had to verify I was buying one and cancel the other. Problem solved and no shipping delays. Awesome!

7. IndianGuy thread starter macrumors regular

IndianGuy

Were you able to talk to any rep? What was the issue?

8. rnwjr macrumors newbie

I received the same email today and actually ordered four phones and received only one email. Listening to music now for about 15 minutes... Anyone else have any luck yet?

----------

Did you listen to the music the entire wait time, or did you keep calling in?

9. Built macrumors 68020

I got that email this morning. I called right away and was on hold for about 5 minutes.

Turned out that it was just an address question. Even though I have lived here for 5 years, and have had many things delivered here (including the iPhone 4 the day before launch in 2010) from Apple, they had, in addition to my current address, a really OLD address on file. They needed to delete the old address as it was somehow messing things up.

Whatever.

I'm still good to go for 9/21 delivery.

10. rnwjr macrumors newbie

I just got through and only one out of the four 5's I ordered on the same account was showing a account billing issue vs a ship to address issue. I gave them the address on the billing and all was well... Weird that only 1 out of 4 had the issue... I ordered them all within minutes of each other as well.

11. IndianGuy thread starter macrumors regular

IndianGuy

I was able to talk to a guy (sounded like India :rolleyes:) - the problem was due to address mismatch. I changed my address on last minute and looks like it did not propagate in all the systems.

Issue taken care, so all good now - I will still get phone on launch day.

12. Mr.ubiquitin, Sep 18, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2012

Mr.ubiquitin macrumors newbie

hi guys,

I got the same e-mail with different # on Sep/14/2012. I called this number on Sep/15/2012, they asked to verify my account, so I provided them with my address, name, and Sprint pin password (I am a new sprint customer btw)

However, I called apple customer service today Sep/18, they said they NEVER sent this e-mail out, and they don't know anything about it. So it has to be a phishing e-mail!!!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

what do you guys do after you guys called them?? I also called them like 5 mins ago, but no body answered the phone!

----------

this is what I got!!!

From do_not_reply@apple.com

Dear Apple Customer,
    Thank you for your recent iPhone purchase at the Apple Online Store.
    We're getting ready for the activation of your iPhone. However we have identified a problem with your Sprint account.
    To resolve this issue, please call us at 1-866-401-8069 and reference your Activation ID: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.1.
    We apologize for any inconvenience.
    Thank you for choosing Apple.
    Sincerely,
    The Apple Online Store

13. darster Suspended

Change your Sprint Password!

14. armoredsaint macrumors regular

armoredsaint

15. Mr.ubiquitin macrumors newbie

I just feel iffy and retarded to call that # in the first place. sigh... thanks though

----------

sigh... yeah, unfortunately... they asked for my address, full name and sprint pin/password....

that's kinda giving them my social security # and etc... I just hope not my credit card info, because I ordered mine on apple.com lol

16. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Giving out any PIN number is not a good idea. However in this case if you would have given them your ATM account & PIN numbers you would have won a free camera.

The only drawback is first they drain your account of all funds :eek:

17. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Any of you get asked for personal info? Activation takes place when you first turn the iPhone ON and not before.

Check all the usual personal info to be sure your ID hasn't been hijacked.

Something smells. :mad:

18. Mr.ubiquitin macrumors newbie

the thing is, i asked that phishing customer server for my sprint account #, they actually gave me a 9 digit sprint account #. I am a new sprint customer btw, switched from AT&T...

19. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Too late...

20. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

This comes from Apple on behalf of the carrier.

The Apple ordering system only allows you 1 phone per order, so what happens is if you order 3 iPhones on a share plan like me, it thinks you're ordering:

1 iPhone on a $150 share plan

Since the system can't see that you already HAVE a share plan, it doesn't know they're supposed to be shared. The phones will ship whether you call them back or not. The email just wants you to call and confirm you want them on one share plan together, not 3 separate.

It's perfectly normal, I just went through it. If you ignore it, you'll be fine, but then they'll just ask about the plan when you call after receiving the phones. If you ignore it they just ship unactivated, vs if you call they'll ship with a plan\number attached (but still unactivated.

No big deal, :)

----------

Untrue. They're "activated" in the sense that the numbers are reserved and the account is setup. In some cases they ship them live, and in other cases they ship them in a "reserved" status, meaning they're activated, but they're suspended until you call.

21. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

OK, all kidding aside, at first I thought the thread was a bad joke.

However now that it appears real, you should never give out answers to any questions involving account numbers. If the call is authentic they will only ask you to verify a single piece of information. The sequence is crucial. If you give out info first, it's a scam / ID theft etc.

They know Apple customers are especially vulnerable & eager to get their phones. Thus there's no better group to scam.

Time to do some damage control immediately. Call Sprint, get a supervisor, and get this resolved.

22. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Jeez people. Common sense. If you get an email from your credit card company, you know how to reach them. If you get an email from your cell phone carrier, you know how to reach them. You ordered the phone from Apple, and if you READ the email the email comes from Apple. If you don't trust it, call Apple... I swear it's more than 47% of people in this country who can't manage to run their own lives.... It's not rocket science.

23. armoredsaint macrumors regular

armoredsaint

curious to how the scammer sounded - did he have an accent etc...?

24. Mr.ubiquitin macrumors newbie

the lady on the phone sounds normal, she had a california accent lol not indian for sure.

25. outphase macrumors 65816

All google searching of these phone numbers leads to other forum posts about these numbers.