Anyone else get this kind of credit check from Sprint?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphone3DG3, Oct 8, 2011.

1. iphone3DG3 macrumors member

So I preordered my iPhone through Sprint's website, and this morning I received an email saying there was missing information that delayed the order. I called in and they said they needed to verify my identity and asked me a series of questions.

I gave them a SSN and my address, and they asked me five multiple choice questions to confirm where I lived and the age of my sister. They told me a name (like for my sister), and gave me a few choices to get her age range. In the end, they said I needed no deposit to open a line with Sprint, and I had $150 spending credit.

My question is, have any of you guys gone through this? When I opened my AT&T service back in 2010 the only thing I provided them was my SSN. My order went through fine and was never asked these questions.

2. menist macrumors regular

menist

Same thing happened to me. A rep called Friday morning and asking me question to confirm my order. I had to make a $50 deposit.

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

4. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

I heard about Sprint doing that because I did a lot of research on them before Friday. Depending on your credit history, Sprint will require a deposit of $50, $150, $200, etc. (I think all carriers do this sort of thing).

I went in to a Sprint store on Thursday and had them run a check on mine to see if I required a deposit if I wanted to open a new account. After the process I was eligible for no deposit and 3 lines. Knowing this information made my process easier and didn't have an reps calling me on Friday.

5. iphone3DG3 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I went on Sprint.com and called the number I saw on the website. And also, I called them, not a random call that I received. It was kind of weird, because the questions that they asked me were very sensitive.

Just want to see if there was anyone else that needed this procedure.

6. phillyphill macrumors 6502

phillyphill

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yup, me. With AT&T. I guess they wanted to be sure I was who I said I was before they sent me $1700 worth of iPhones...

8. dfnj123 macrumors 6502a

Spint has alot of issues with people with bad credit tbh... they were probably just trying to double check your information... wouldn't worry

9. 2010RS macrumors 6502

10. EvoNiner1986 macrumors regular

This happened to me as well with AT&T...Just had to answer a series of multiple choice questions pertaining to my credit report. :D

11. rmlred, Oct 8, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2011

rmlred macrumors regular

Did anyone else not receive the conformation email? I didn't, but my Sprint and bank accounts show that it went through but my contract info didn't update either.

12. Bruce91 macrumors newbie

Do you think as a 20 year old student they would turn me away at ATT or require a despot? I've had credit card for a few months and student loans since I was 18.

13. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I think as long as you don't have bad credit you'll be ok.

14. larryr macrumors newbie

I failed my identity verification because I couldn't remember the name of the street I lived on 25 years ago. The person in the credit dept said I had to wait 60 days to try again. (Although some people on the Sprint forum said they were able to get a second chance, so I might call back.)

15. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

They won't turn you away, and it's highly unlikely they will require you to provide a third-world dictator :D. But stranger things have happened.

Well, come to think of it - if they DO require you to provide a despot, it would be the strangest thing I've ever heard of actually happening. So keep us informed please!

16. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a