Anyone else give up and hang on to what they have?

iScone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
So I was looking forward to this for so long, and had everything ready, but owing to a fault by Apple's app store, my shipping estimate slipped to 2-3 weeks. So? No deal. I'm keeping my 7, and I'm happy to do so. I went into this knowing if I was refreshing like crazy and Apple tripped me up, they'll lose my sale.

So, unexpectedly, I'm now on the X 2.0 train. Anyone with me?

Ortiz7983

Suspended
Aug 6, 2012
I have a preorder through Apple at full price for the nov.3 delivery available.

I preordered from att and Apple at the same time. Att charged my taxes and Apple had a reservation. I got the email from Apple for nov. 3 delivery.

Beards

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
Yep... Since the 5, this is the first time I have not upgraded annually. I decided the 8 Plus was not enough of an upgrade from the 7 Plus and the X has an overall smaller screen than the 7 Plus.

Reactions: Dwalls90

KL77

Suspended
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, they made my decision for me. Last two years I was front of the line on launch day. This year I can't even get my phone until December because the Apple Store app is a piece of crap. Instantly killed all hype I had for the phone and I'll keep my 7 Plus. It may sound like a tantrum, but the thing is, I'm locked into the IUP. I can't just go and buy it on Verizon. I followed all instructions, completed the pre-order steps almost a week ago, woke up 20 minutes early and refreshed for 35 minutes until it let me in. Couldn't go to the website because it said I had to complete it in the Apple Store app, Apple Store app won't let me in, finally lets me in 15 minutes late and it crashes about 4 times. Done with launch day BS, they took all the fun out of it.

Reactions: iScone

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
So I was looking forward to this for so long, and had everything ready, but owing to a fault by Apple's app store, my shipping estimate slipped to 2-3 weeks. So? No deal. I'm keeping my 7, and I'm happy to do so. I went into this knowing if I was refreshing like crazy and Apple tripped me up, they'll lose my sale.

That's unfortunate with your experience. At least you're content with your iPhone 7 and next year will be a year where everything is more refined and will see an additional size likely offered in a 6.4 variant, which highly interests me.

Kiimora

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2014
London UK
I would probably be in this boat if i couldn't get on the site to pre-order or if i got the 5-6wks shipping timeline. Come next Sept or Nov i will be buying X's big brother

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
Anyone else give up and hang on to what they have?
Give up? Nah... I decided early on that my 6s is already perfect for my needs and the new models don't do enough to warrant throwing away more $$$ at Apple :)

Reactions: Sigp232

profmatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2015
UK
Give up? Nah... I decided early on that my 6s is already perfect for my needs and the new models don't do enough to warrant throwing away more $$$ at Apple :)
Me too. Well, substitute Jet Black iPhone 7+ for 6S.

It’s a thousand pounds.

Unless it can touch me in places that most people aren’t allowed to touch me, I’m good with what I’ve got.

I’ve stepped off the upgrade train. It’s insanity.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
That's unfortunate with your experience. At least you're content with your iPhone 7 and next year will be a year where everything is more refined and will see an additional size likely offered in a 6.4 variant, which highly interests me.
At $1999 for 512gb

redman042

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2008
I predict some of you will be content for a while, until a friend shows you their X, and then you will cave and put an order in. Maybe not all, but some.

dotnet

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
I'm watching this unfold from the sidelines, with a smile. It is a rather relaxing and soothing experience. Being on a 2-year refresh cycle this isn't my year to get a new phone. I've been known to break this discipline on occasion, but this year I'm holding firm. Since there is nothing whatsoever wrong with my 7+ I'm happy to leave the X thrill to the early adopters. I truly wish that they get everything they hope for with this first of a kind iPhone, and I'm looking forward to joining the bandwagon next year :)

Reactions: profmatt and xxray

iScone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
I predict some of you will be content for a while, until a friend shows you their X, and then you will cave and put an order in. Maybe not all, but some.
Doubtful. Apple have violated their own cycle this year, so I think many people will just hang on until next September. It's only 10 months away. For those with a 7/7+ or even the 6s cycle, it's not a massive deal. Those who'll get the X will act as our guinea pigs, I guess. I don't mean that negatively, hell I tried to get one myself, but that's how it is.

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
Happy with my 6S Plus, hoping to snag an iPad Pro during holiday sales instead

numb3rmonkey

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2012
Dallas, TX
After making it all the way to the cart only for the Sprint website to crash and then being put back into Sprint's virtual line, I shut off the computer and went to bed. If I were 100% onboard #TeamNotch, I would have waited.

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I almost gave up after getting lots of errors during the carrier verification portion of the order. A few minutes later I decided to give it one more try and got a confirmed order for 11/17-11/24 delivery. My 6S+ has some issues so I didn’t feel like I could limp it for one more year of use. If I’m going to spend money on a new phone it might as well be a X.

Packers1958

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
Getting mine on the 3rd. If facial recognition doesn't work as advertised, it's going back or I will sell it on my own. I really won't be out any money.

Izauze

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2013
I've been following the X since the rumors first started, and I'm a huge advocate for AR and think some of the advancements it has are pretty cool. But somewhere along the line it lost it's must-have-ness for me. Between the price tag, the lack of a full edge-to-edge screen, lack of touch ID, a kinda boring iOS 11 software cycle, and all the delays and limited availability issues, I slowly slid from "sure thing" to "fence-sitter" to (unexpectedly) "meh, I can wait."

I think over the next year, they'll work the kinks out, developers will learn to take advantage of AR and the new hardware and we'll see whether the advantages it offers are really worth the price differential.