Anyone else giving until the end of the week before they buy?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MrDexx, Jul 12, 2010.

  1. MrDexx macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2010
    #1
    I've been on the verge of buying an i7 iMac since mid-June when I decided my new computer would be a Mac instead of another PC.

    However with talk of regular updated usually happening around the 13-15th mark of the past couple months, I decided to wait and see what is announced this week (if anything at all)

    I was gonna wait to August, but then I realized I really don't play THAT much videogames outside of Team Fortress 2 and the new Starcraft 2 (will the i7 iMac play Starcraft 2 with great visual effects?)...so waiting for another month with no computer would IMO

    So if nothing is announced by Friday, I'll be placing my Apple Store order!

    Anyone else in a similar boat?
     
  2. aki macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2004
    Location:
    Japan
    #2
    Gave up waiting about two weeks ago. Need my SC2 Beta! :D
     
  3. UltimaLink macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2010
    Location:
    Somewhere in PA.
    #3
    I'm on the boat of waiting for the new iMac so I can buy one from this gen for a lower price. I have a quad core PC right now so I don't need a new computer, I'd just prefer a mac for work that way I can make my PC focus on gaming and I won't have to portion my hard drive/buy a new one, drawings and flash files won't take up that much space, games will take up tons.

    I'd advise everyone to do what I'm doing. Wait for the update and buy a this gen quad core. You'll save. Unless you HAVE to have the latest iMac.
     
  4. deafmute macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2010
    #4
    yup. same situation here. but i do architecture graphic n rendering. so i need better graphic card, than the typical 2 years old ati 4850 series. im tired of waiting. Mac, u r as*hole.
     
  5. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

    leftywamumonkey

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2010
    Location:
    California
    #5
    Its possibly going to be this Tuesday! Which is Tomorrow or August 17 or the middle Tuesday of Sept. I am going to wait and I suggest you do too because you will be using it for gaming as will I. I want to wait for the 5XXX card to come on the i7, rather than using a old HD 4850 that is a mobility card so its only comparable to the OLD 4830. :) Thats why I am going to save my virginity and wait. Well actually I already bought my first mac so I am not a virgin.... YOU ARE!
     
  6. Durious macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2008
    Location:
    Calgary, Alberta
    #6
    Haha same
     
  7. isuryan83 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2010
    #7
    Gave up waiting yesterday. I justified not waiting because I saved $350 on the i7 with the refurb ($250 savings after tax). And I figure the i7 will still be top of the line next round. I use my computer for photo editing, not gaming, so the GPU was fairly low on my list of needs. Also, when you really think about it, the i7 hasn't been out all that long. Most people who preordered their i7 received it in late November - early December. So by the time I could get the refreshed top of the line refurb, it will be many months away...
     
  8. aki macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2004
    Location:
    Japan
    #8
    Oh I forgot to say, anyone who wants to know about SC2 Beta and the 4850 on the i7 - I run it with everything on High with no issues, at 1920xwhatever resn. Haven't actually tried the ultra and native resn, now that I think of it. I usually play with everything on low anyway for clarity :p

    Overall I was suprised with the performance of the 4850. Yes it is old, but it's better than I expected, and definitely better than my prev 8800GS iMac. On the PC-side I play ME1/2 etc all with max settings no problem at all. Wheeeeee!
     
  9. jr24 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2010
    Location:
    usa
    #9
    i haven't bought a computer since 2003/2004 (i'm on an emac), so i've been waiting a while :p and it won't hurt to wait a while longer so i can save some on the current generation.
     
  10. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

    leftywamumonkey

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2010
    Location:
    California
    #10
    IT'S COMING TOMORROW!
     
  11. MrDexx thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2010
    #11
    Hrmmm well really the only games I'll be playing are SC2 (eventually) and TF2 (mainly)...worst case scenario I could always bootcamp it into Windows 7 to possibly maximize performance?

    I can save $400 if I purchase a refurb'd iMac i7 if I buy right now...maybe that's what I'll do...I just would hate for a refresh to come out right away...tho who knows how much a new refresh i7 will cost with the enhance stuff!

    EDIT: I'm going to order my refurb i7 now, and should a refresh be announce by the time it arrives I'll send it back...problem solved!
     
  12. Durious macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2008
    Location:
    Calgary, Alberta
    #12
    Yeah cant wait after no update today I'm glad I didn't wait now phew!!

    Fedex just updated though so looks like the 15th now but I'm ok with that cause I'm busy till the weekend! :)
     
  13. scallopdelion macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2010
    Location:
    NYC
    #13
    I was hoping for an update today. I had my computer stolen by an irresponsible moving company when I moved to NY a couple months ago. Haven't had a personal computer since March! I've only had computer access at work, so I've been getting real antsy. I'm going to the Apple Store tonight to pick one up. (iMac i7 Core)
     
  14. Pachang macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2009
    #14
    guys,
    Macbook air and mac pro haven't been updated yet. Wait till they are and then wait a month. Then you'll have a new iMac
     
  15. Zelnaga macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2010
    #15
    If theres no update by these next few weeks im buying!
     
  16. twentytwo22 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2010
    #16
    I gave in and just ordered a refurb 27" i5 on Monday. I figured even if there is an update, I would probably not find a better deal for the price.
     
  17. Razeus macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2008
  18. astigtigas macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2010
    #18
    seems like the updates will be some time September or October just like last year.
     
  19. dudeofblokes macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2007
    Location:
    carrickfergus, northern ireland, united kingdom
    #19
    the lower price will likely match the current refurb prices
     
  20. Eduardo1971 macrumors 65816

    Eduardo1971

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2006
    Location:
    Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
    #20
    Yeah, I know. All everyone here talks about are iPods and iPhones.;)
     
  21. OatmealRocks macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2009
    #21
    I'm giving it 30 days. I am planning to get an i7. Debating if I should get a SSD too.. however I have a MBP too and will put the SSD just to see the performance benefits over the iMac. i do a lot of editing in CS4 now and eventually would like to dabble with Final Cut.
     

Share This Page