Anyone else glad they bought the 8 instead of the 8+ or waiting for the X?

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
I am. The 8 is a solid upgrade from the 7. The 8+ would be too big for me and I'm sure there will be some teething problems with the X. My 8 has been solid since day 1.

I'll wait until next year before buying the X2 or whatever it's called.

Normally I'll buy 2 new phones a year (either at once or one every 6 months or so) but am not really impressed with any of the Android devices this year and, to be honest, I got sick of setting them up.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I am. The 8 is a solid upgrade from the 7. The 8+ would be too big for me and I'm sure there will be some teething problems with the X. My 8 has been solid since day 1.

I'll wait until next year before buying the X2 or whatever it's called.

Normally I'll buy 2 new phones a year (either at once or one every 6 months or so) but am not really impressed with any of the Android devices this year and, to be honest, I got sick of setting them up.
The 8 is a nice phone on many accounts, especially for those who have upgraded from iPhones under the 7. I prefer the Plus model size, which just offers the larger battery and 1080 display. But I like the addition of the 25% increased louder stereo speakers and Tru-Tone display. Wireless charging is nice, but not a necessity for me.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Had the 7 and now the 8+. With a better screen then the 8, and with dual camera that I may use and a wider screen for my aging eyes. I will never go back to a smaller phone again, though it is large. I’m sure next year version of the 10 will be even better than the near release of the 10

Reactions: Ffosse

bevsb2

macrumors 68000
Nov 23, 2012
I'm happy with my 8. Perfect size for me and I prefer Touch ID. I was lucky to get one with a near perfect screen (on the second try) and I love the new gold color. Super fast and no problems with it whatsoever. I'm anxious to see the X however and may consider it next year.

WhatTheFox

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2013
I am. Happy with my new 8. 8+ was too bulky for me. While I am sure I will miss the dual camera / bokeh / portrait mode & lightining of the 8+ occasionally ... it's a small price to pay for the practicality (for me) of a good sized iPhone 8.

jayducharme

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I still like the size of the SE, but mine is beginning to show its age. I finally got my hands on an 8 at the Apple Store and I was pretty impressed. It's the most beautiful device Apple has made. I'm really tempted to upgrade, but I'm holding out a faint hope that Apple will upgrade the SE. If they made an SE-sized version of the 8, I'd be all over it.

almostinsane

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
Posts about confirmation bias are pretty boring. Just because you are happy with your purchase decision doesn’t mean everyone is.

Reactions: canesalato

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
No, I could never be happy about owning the 8 when the X exists. The 8 is expensive for a non flagship device, and no different to my 6 apart from wireless charging.
I strongly suggest that you look at the comparison between the 6 and the iPhone 8 and you’ll see a whole lot more than just wireless charging.

https://www.apple.com/iphone-8/specs/

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
No, I could never be happy about owning the 8 when the X exists. The 8 is expensive for a non flagship device, and no different to my 6 apart from wireless charging.
I strongly suggest that you look at the comparison between the 6 and the iPhone 8 and you’ll see a whole lot more than just wireless charging.

https://www.apple.com/iphone-8/specs/
I know right... and all this talk about people trying to "justify their purchase" but what about all the people who live in denial?

Last time I checked my "non-flagship" device shared the same processor and storage as the "flagship device."

I'm so sad I'm gonna miss out on a notched OLED and animojis.

ke-iron

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2014
Going from the 7+ to the 8+ next week. Let the guinea pigs work through the issues of the X.
Name the issues? Right are you’re one of those, the 8+ has almost all the features the X has, I’ll just wait for the Xs next year? As if the Xs next year would me much different than the X.

Reactions: Juansito

Treyhunna

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2017
how can u be glad u didnt buy a phone that isn't out yet? u have no idea who it stacks up against the 8. right now yes, u have the best iPhone available. but that may not be true come next week.

Reactions: Juansito

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
I got the 8. I like the Touch ID and general design of it. My old 7 cases fit and the wireless charging is cool. Plus the price was better for me.

Reactions: nanotoj

Apple Fritter

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2017
Name the issues? Right are you’re one of those, the 8+ has almost all the features the X has, I’ll just wait for the Xs next year? As if the Xs next year would me much different than the X.
Well the 8 series fall back on tried and true technology, whereas the X is a whole new experience.

I do expect quibbles especially with Face ID and I'm sure Apple will sort those out come X Mk.2.