Anyone else happy with the current iPad and NOT considering to upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kadin, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

Unless something mind-blowing comes out of this Wed event, I don't expect I'll be upgrading anytime soon. While I'd love to get a lighter and faster device, my current iPad does everything I need and more. I think, like the iPhone, I'll typically skip every other model... anyone else?

And I know we don't have any hard details yet but I'm simply asking, at this point who's written off the desire to upgrade and is happy as is?

2. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

I'll be waiting until 3 comes out, then 5 and so on.

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

This question would be better after we know the actual** specs of the new one.

**As opposed to the rumors.

4. Kadin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kadin

Yeah I know. But even as it is right now, if every favorable rumor came true, I'd probably still be sitting tight with my original iPad. Even though I got a great deal on this one, I simply can't see the need to step it up a notch at a higher cost. I'll probably be eating my own words but I considered selling this on CL last week and finally told myself I'd wait it out until the next (3rd) revision...

5. amnost macrumors regular

I completely agree. However, it seems as though Apple might be announcing something much more amazing then we're expecting... because today's news is that they're going to be simulcasting the event! Basically, whatever they're announcing at this event might just be a bigger deal then it's rumored to be :D

6. chrishemley823 macrumors newbie

7. Kadin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kadin

hahaha... I'd agree with ya there. I considered giving this to my dad and getting the 2 for myself but honestly I can't afford to do that. And I don't wanna take a loss on it even though it's immaculate.

8. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

I'm NOT happy with my iPad and that's why I'm very hesitant to upgrade. I'm not happy with iOS being to limited. If the new iPad has better hardware it still is to limited by iOS. I will check where iOS is heading and maybe upgrade later.

9. vrDrew macrumors 65816

It would take something pretty spectacular for me to upgrade at this point. (After all, I've had my current iPad for less than a year..)

What are they going to put on a new model?

Camera(s): I can think of few things that appeal to me less than doing Facetime video calls. And I already have a great DSLR and a nifty Canon point n' shoot (plus a couple of 35mm film cameras, a pretty neat videocamera, etc.) Why would I want to do any creative photography with a device with a tiny lens, no zoom, no flash, and virtually no ISO or f-stop control?

Capacity: I don't generally use my iPad as a storage area for digital content. When you can buy a 2 terabyte hard drive for under $100 whats the point? My collection of digital movies, TV shows, and photos is kept on my home server. I can see possibly running into space issues if I'm not careful - but there's simply no reason for me to walk around with three seasons on Mad Men on my iPad.

More Memory/Faster Processor: I'm totally thrilled with my iPad's performance to date. It starts instantly, rarely gives me ANY technical issues, looks fantastic (ie. hasn't picked up any scratches, etc.) I suppose some elements of web browsing might be a little better. But there's no need to spend several hundred dollars just so I can hit the "back" button more often.

I generally plan on keeping Apple mobile devices about three to four years. Given the amount I use them, thats about the time the battery performance starts to drop off. And its also about the amount of time before whatever new models have come along have sufficient new features and/or performance that it makes sense to upgrade.

10. BrunoMac macrumors regular

BrunoMac

Love my iPad and am not going to upgrade until this thing is obsolete.

11. BMP84 macrumors regular

BMP84

Definitely will NOT be upgrading, but I am very excited to see what new stuff Apple has up it's sleeve. Sadly at this time, with nothing to compare it to (that is a iOS device) I just have not reason YET...

12. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Cold, dead hands, etc., etc...

Maybe next time, however.

13. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I agree with everything you've said here.

I use my iPad for light web browsing and reading ebooks. While I'm looking forward to seeing what will the upgrade will be, I just don't need it for much more.

Factor in a new MBP on the way, and I have a hard time justifying spending another $500-$700.

14. henry2 macrumors regular

henry2

Like you said inless there is a super major change i'm not going to trade up inless there is major inprovement and i really do not a camera on it and i have enough storage space let on the harddrive to last another 30gb of data storage on it so that not a problem

15. iMaven macrumors 6502

iMaven

16. Blakeco123 macrumors regular

Blakeco123

i am happy with it. iv lived with it for a year and use it more than i use my computer. well other computer...THE IPAD IS A COMPUTER O.K?

17. deeddawg macrumors 604

Perhaps for some, but not true for all. One way people end up with the ability to afford stuff is they control their impulses and don't always buy the latest/greatest just because it's newer. :)

18. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I'm very happy with the current iPad. And most of the features I'd like added are software rather than hardware based, so I expect a first gen iPad with iOS 5 will be "good enough" to go for another year. But I am considering upgrading if the new iPad is significantly lighter. And I will definitely upgrade if it has more storage -- my 64GB is full, and I'm being forced to juggle apps and videos.

19. Tobster3 macrumors 6502

Regardless of the specs of the 2G iPad, I will not be upgrading. I am happy with the iPad just now and cannot justify paying out for another iPad..... just yet. :)

20. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

It must be mind blowing, does Apple want me to upgrade. I will probably wait for iPad 3 before upgrading. By then, I believe, the iPad 1 hardware will be too old to keep up.

21. windSurfer21 macrumors newbie

Just wait for iPad 4 in October.

22. cozmot, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

cozmot Guest

I'm happy with my iPad and am not going to upgrade. Instead, I'm keeping it and buying a Xoom. Why? Flash. I'm sick of not being able to have full access to the web. Yes, I bought SkyFire as a workaround, but as those things usually go, sometimes yes, sometime no. Then I have to go to my computer.

We don't know yet exactly what we'll be getting with the iPad 2, but we do know what we won't: Flash. No Flash = No iPad 2 For me (or 3 or 4, until Flash is no more...if that happens).

23. Piggie, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

I know this will upset some, but here goes:

For me the iPad can't do things I want to do, it's ok as a gadget, a handy toy to have around, but it's nothing of any serious use.

I would instantly upgrade if the iPad2 became, for me, a serious device to do things on, but it won't, it will be an upgraded gadget/toy that's handy to have around.

Whilst the latest model is of course nice. I don't think there will be any fundamental changes at all, even in iPad3 or iPad4 that will change the device into being anything really useful to me.

Fundamentally a finger based touch screen device with a small screen is just not up to what I want to do.

So I'm screwed ;)

Just to clarify, The iPad is a nice "Thing" to have around.
    It's a "Handy Device" that's quick to pick up and look at something simple, like check email, or read a net posting or check lottery results of show someone a photo you have on it, or even as an address book.

But I don't find it actually much good for "Doing Things" on. One big reason, it's just so dam slow to navigate around and work with compared to a PC or a Mac.

24. Androidpwns macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Haha

;)

25. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

lovved my old one but paid 265.00 and free BBRZ points for it, got 400.00 for it,upgrade me.