Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bernie-Mac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Sin City, NV
Ok, i brought back the OG iPhone like maybe once or twice due to dead pixels, etc.. IMO, it was an awesome phone in terms of build quality. I am on my 7th iPhone 3G. Now before you all say "Nothing is perfect" "OCD" and all that, i did not just see 1 speck of dust and go "oh, time to go to Apple." All of my iPhones have had numerous problems.

I have adopted the 3 Prob rule when it comes to the 3G, 3 issues and ill take it to apple, whether it be a non-flush-plastic body, dust under screen, dead pixel combo or a scratch under the glass, light leak, weak vibrate trifecta. I have had my current phone for over 2 months and thought my travels to Apple were over. The one i have now has a scratch underneath the glass, makes a screeching noise with it "awake," and i just noticed today that it has at least 8 particles of dust under the screen that are very visible when used outside. I plan to take it to Apple....again.

I know nothing is perfect but i mean the build quality of a $300 god-like iPhone 3G is embarrassing. Anyone else have this bad of luck or is it just me?

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
Either you have the worst luck on the planet or you are a returnaholic. No problems with the 2 iPhones in our house.

moka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

A perfectionist

moka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Double post - delete please

JForestZ34

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
phone

It is possible for him to get a batch of bum phone's. Apple is not god and the quality used to be alot better a couple of years ago... Not every company can put out a perfect product.. But I agree with him, if he was a new customer of AT&T he only paid $200 or $300. But if he had to pay it without the discount the 16gig goes for $600.. For that I could buy another laptop, with that being said those cheap laptop's don't have defects that some of these phones have...

James

samven582

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
Ok, i brought back the OG iPhone like maybe once or twice due to dead pixels, etc.. IMO, it was an awesome phone in terms of build quality. I am on my 7th iPhone 3G. Now before you all say "Nothing is perfect" "OCD" and all that, i did not just see 1 speck of dust and go "oh, time to go to Apple." All of my iPhones have had numerous problems.

I have adopted the 3 Prob rule when it comes to the 3G, 3 issues and ill take it to apple, whether it be a non-flush-plastic body, dust under screen, dead pixel combo or a scratch under the glass, light leak, weak vibrate trifecta. I have had my current phone for over 2 months and thought my travels to Apple were over. The one i have now has a scratch underneath the glass, makes a screeching noise with it "awake," and i just noticed today that it has at least 8 particles of dust under the screen that are very visible when used outside. I plan to take it to Apple....again.

I know nothing is perfect but i mean the build quality of a $300 god-like iPhone 3G is embarrassing. Anyone else have this bad of luck or is it just me?

your not the only. I bought my iphone form apple on the 16th. First got a 8gb then realized i need 16gb (wanted more space). Anyway my first 16gb had dust under the screen. Took it back to apple one week later because it got very annoying. Second one had dead pixels, light leaks, dust. Took that one back to apple also, two days later. Third one, att would not allow me to get a brand new unit. So I settle on a refurb. Big mistake; first 16gb had scratches all over the chrome bezel. Second one, the one I'am using right now has dust(not as bad) and a dead pixel. Still thinking if I should keep this one or return it.

=MuLti-CeLL=

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
m0biLe
Wow. I hate that you all have had so much bad luck.

I always kind of fear reading these threads as I have not yet purchased an iPhone myself I hope that I don't have to return one, let alone 5 or 6.

I'm actually suprised neither of you mentioned cracks in the plastic housing as there is a thread on here with over a thousand replies in regards to that. Sorry, just gave you something else to worry about, hehehe.

Well, good luck on finding a near flawless $300 top-of-the-line Apple iPhone soon! (Yea, that was a 'touch' of sarcasm) ;)

eplchamps0304

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
the iPhone has some serious quality issues. even though I'm on my launch day 3g, the ringer switch broke in the first hour. I did not return it because everything else has been perfect.

Bernie-Mac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Sin City, NV
For crying out loud he has returned his iPhones 8 or 9 times already. That alone should tell you something.

I am on my 7th iPhone 3G.

For crying out loud, you have the literary comprehension of a 1st grader. That alone should tell you something

How did it just develop a scratch under the glass?
Its not so much a scratch as a silver line underneath the glass thats not the screen. Search a lil and youll see others with this prob, i asked a few "geniuses" and even they had no idea how it happens

patdesignsinc

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2008

OP, regarding the non-flush plastic body... are you referring to the fact that there is a ridge between the plastic body and the chrome bezel? If so, did Apple replace your phone? I have that same thing going on and don't feel like wasting my time by driving out there to have them say, "it's cosmetic and we're not going to replace it".

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
I brought back the OG iPhone like maybe once or twice due to dead pixels, etc.. IMO, it was an awesome phone in terms of build quality. I am on my 7th iPhone 3G."

Sounds like you were talking about returning 1 or 2-OG (original gen) iPhones and 7-3G iPhones.....Hmmm that's more than 7 iPhones.

Bernie-Mac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Sin City, NV
OP, regarding the non-flush plastic body... are you referring to the fact that there is a ridge between the plastic body and the chrome bezel? If so, did Apple replace your phone? I have that same thing going on and don't feel like wasting my time by driving out there to have them say, "it's cosmetic and we're not going to replace it".

Yeah, like the plastic is higher than the chrome. When you go to Apple just find a display model that isnt like that and give them a "well the display models arent like that, false advirtising" thing if they are gay about it

Sounds like you were talking about returning 2-OG (original gen) iPhones and 7-3G iPhones.

I had the same OG for almost the whole year, i exchanged them quickly after purchasing them due to those issues and kept the same phone that had zero problems the rest of the year until the 3G came out. I was talking about replacing the 3G which clearly has some quality issues, there are quite a number of people who will concur, whether or not they feel the need to live with manufacturer's defects on a $2-300 device plus the $70-130 a month they are paying AT&T is their issue.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
I was talking about replacing the 3G which clearly has some quality issues
I understood what you were saying about the quality issues.

For that you popped back that you had only returned 7 iPhone 3G's. And insulting me as having the literary comprehension of a 1st grader? I was talking about how many TOTAL iPhones you have returned, of which I was correct it was 8 or 9. Seriously....you really had to return that many iPhones?

I am all for getting what you pay for. Heck I even fought Gateway over an LCD monitor once, had it replaced 3 times. But at some point you have to say the product just isn't working out for you and stop, get your money back then move on.

Bernie-Mac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Sin City, NV
I understood what you were saying about the quality issues.

For that you popped back that you had only returned 7 iPhone 3G's. And insulting me as having the literary comprehension of a 1st grader? I was talking about how many TOTAL iPhones you have returned, of which I was correct it was 8 or 9. Seriously....you really had to return that many iPhones?

I apologize for insulting your intelligence, but you fired the first shot, writing my post off as some OCD perfectionist when my phone's have all had numerous problems with each of them, not just one little thing and ill bring it back to Apple. Trust me, if i could have a phone with maybe one speck of dust, or one dead pixel as my only problem i would be happy, god forbid i get a phone with no problems like the original. I am envious that you have a phone with no problems, i was curious if i was the only one who has had to go through 6 iPhones due to numerous quality issues, not asking if you think i have OCD by not knowing me, the whole story, and just reading a few paragraphs about it on the internet.

=MuLti-CeLL=

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
m0biLe
Maybe the iPhone 3G was just a mass consumer gimmick to get Apple phones into 13+million users pockets. Build'em cheap, get'em out the door, if there's problems just swap'em out and keep people happy. As long as we have now have everyone's attention we will release the REAL next iPhone G3! (in relation to the front page news) ;)

:D

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
not asking if you think i have OCD by not knowing me, the whole story, and just reading a few paragraphs about it on the internet.
Don't think I said or implied you have OCD, so I am not sure where that came from. I do however think some of the issues you had mentioned were minor and not return worthy. Granted without seeing them myself I could be wrong and may have returned them as well.

I do know this, if a product caused me to return it 7 (or more) times, I would be done with it.

Bernie-Mac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Sin City, NV
I do know this, if a product caused me to return it 7 (or more) times, I would be done with it.

Thats exactly how i feel. I am tired of wasting time and gas going back and forth to apple, i love the phone and all but the build quality (at least for me) is lackluster. I am seriously considering getting a different phone when my contract runs out unless they fix this with the new one this summer

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.