Anyone else have malfunctioning flash?

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
The iPhone should have two flashes when taking a photo, the second being brighter than the first. The second is dimmer than the first on my iPhone, and it shows.

Is this software, or should I take it to Apple?

This is a photo taken in somewhat low light with flash on my iPhone.

image.jpg

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
The initial flash helps the camera focus on dim subjects, and the second flash illuminates it for the picture.

Whoops, I didn't read the post carefully enough.

rxllrn

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
All you need to do is do a hard reset: home + sleep/wake for 10s and then let go.

chdwil

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2009
The iPhone should have two flashes when taking a photo, the second being brighter than the first. The second is dimmer than the first on my iPhone, and it shows.

Is this software, or should I take it to Apple?

This is a photo taken in somewhat low light with flash on my iPhone.

View attachment 366221
I had the same issue. A hard reset fixed it.

zorinlynx

macrumors 603
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
INSTRUCTIONS TO FIX:

1) Remove any flashlight apps you might have installed.
2) Reboot the phone. (hold power switch, wait for slide to power off, slide, turn it back on once it turns off)
3) Install "Flashlight by Rik" from the App Store. After trying several flashlight apps, this one didn't seem to cause the problem. On top of that, it's free and has absolutely no ads, and is much faster than any other flashlight app I've ever used.

It was like a double-win, fixing my problem and getting rid of my old ad-infested flashlight app. :)

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
INSTRUCTIONS TO FIX:

1) Remove any flashlight apps you might have installed.
2) Reboot the phone. (hold power switch, wait for slide to power off, slide, turn it back on once it turns off)
3) Install "Flashlight by Rik" from the App Store. After trying several flashlight apps, this one didn't seem to cause the problem. On top of that, it's free and has absolutely no ads, and is much faster than any other flashlight app I've ever used.

It was like a double-win, fixing my problem and getting rid of my old ad-infested flashlight app. :)
All you need to do is do a hard reset: home + sleep/wake for 10s and then let go.
I had the same issue. A hard reset fixed it.

Thanks guys.

bigcstyle4

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
The hard reset only seems to be a temporary fix. It's come back every day, requiring another reset.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.