Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrlandoTragic

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
It's basically an extra layer of security implemented before you log in to your online banking...

If you log in to your account on a new or different computer, BoA will send a text to your registered mobile device with a code which you must enter to gain access...

I had Sprint and this worked fine, but I ported my # over to AT&T and got the iPhone... now the text with the code isn't coming through.

Maybe its an MMS? I dunno. I googled it, saw others with the same problem, but no definitive resolution.

=(

djspe

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2009
Bank of America's SafePass doesn't work well w/iPhone switchers

It's basically an extra layer of security implemented before you log in to your online banking...

If you log in to your account on a new or different computer, BoA will send a text to your registered mobile device with a code which you must enter to gain access...

I had Sprint and this worked fine, but I ported my # over to AT&T and got the iPhone... now the text with the code isn't coming through.

Maybe its an MMS? I dunno. I googled it, saw others with the same problem, but no definitive resolution.

=(

<BUMP> I am happy to find this thread because I spent hours on the phone today with AT&T, Apple, and Bank of America. I can confirm that all other 3rd party SMS texts work from services like AmEx, Google, Away Find, ReQall, etc. So it definitely sounds like a Bank of America issue.

I did have it working great on my old Sprint phone but I became reliant on it to pay bills via large transfer (SafePass is required for xfers over 1K). Now I cannot pay my bills and it's really upsetting me and people I owe money too!

Any updates on getting this resolved? I contacted the Escalation Dept at BoA but they have not gotten back to me. If I hear anything, I'll post it.

OrlandoTragic

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
<BUMP> I am happy to find this thread because I spent hours on the phone today with AT&T, Apple, and Bank of America. I can confirm that all other 3rd party SMS texts work from services like AmEx, Google, Away Find, ReQall, etc. So it definitely sounds like a Bank of America issue.

I did have it working great on my old Sprint phone but I became reliant on it to pay bills via large transfer (SafePass is required for xfers over 1K). Now I cannot pay my bills and it's really upsetting me and people I owe money too!

Any updates on getting this resolved? I contacted the Escalation Dept at BoA but they have not gotten back to me. If I hear anything, I'll post it.

I just had to disable the SafePass feature, sadly. I'm fairly confident the issue is MMS, but I'm not 100% sure...
*For djspe, BoA can disable the SafePass feature if you ask.. I just liked it for security.

Let us know if you hear anything else back!

Baaarb

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2010
BoA safepass

Ok, I am new to this forum. I was looking for answers on this issue also, but my problem is kind of strange--I can sign into my account with my iPhone but not my iPad. What the heck??? Of course BoA blames Apple and said that the Ipad has conflicting programs that the iPhone doesn't have (she said this after she had me empty the cache). My daughter, who is in the military can also sign in to her regular BoA account with her iPhone, but not her military BoA. If anyone has any answers, I would appreciate hearing from you, thanks. :confused:

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
First off, this is a really old thread. Second, it looks like people are using it to talk about two different problems.

The OP (who started this thread two years ago, by the way) was having trouble receiving the authentication SMS messages that BofA sends for entering authorization codes. The SMS issue was due to his porting out his nmber from Sprint and was a network issue... not an Apple or BofA issue, but an AT&T problem specific to that account.

The more recent post is about iPad authentication. iPads don't work on the website with SafePass because Bank of America's website assumes the iPad isn't a mobile device. So it tries to serve your ipad the SafePass applet which runs in Flash. And we all know Flash doesn't work on iOS devices.

Bank of America DOES let you log in via the iPhone's mobile browser by skipping the SafePass step altogether.... it knows what an iPhone is and knows it won't do Flash, so it does the traditional SiteKey authentication instead.

Right now, the only way around this on the iPad is to use the Bank of America Mobile Banking app, which is basically an app that takes you to the mobile banking site. It's gonna look crummy on the iPad because it's formatted only for the iPhone, but at least it will let you in and allow you to access your account. Also, like the iPhone, it's going to bypass SafePass.

I think BofA really needs to update their app, both to support the iPad and to support mobile check deposit, like the Chase and USAA iPhone banking apps.

Baaarb

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to answer

First off, this is a really old thread. Second, it looks like people are using it to talk about two different problems.
Right now, the only way around this on the iPad is to use the Bank of America Mobile Banking app, which is basically an app that takes you to the mobile banking site. It's gonna look crummy on the iPad because it's formatted only for the iPhone, but at least it will let you in and allow you to access your account. Also, like the iPhone, it's going to bypass SafePass.

I figured out another way to get around it. I called BoA and told them to disable the SafePass feature. After they did that, I signed in with my iPad. Now since I signed in, BoA would recognize this computer so I had them reenable my SafePass. I have no problem signing in now

eq2675

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2008
Bank of America on line banking with SafePass enabled no longer requires a flash cookie to work. I finally can use Safari on my iPad running iOS 6.0.1 to log in to my online banking. It took years for this modification and its finally here!

pauly1

Suspended
Sep 13, 2013
Okay i have a problem with my bank of america. I had did the safepass code to my mobile phone in the us so i could have transfer limits for daily and weekly increased. I also canceled my cell service when i left the us as i had no purpose for it as it wouldn't work in canada, i used virgin mobile.

Well i try to log into online banking now and i had to speak with bank of america on the phone b/c i was logging in from an unrecognized computer and the only way to log into my account was by disabling safepass since im in canada as the person at bankofa told me so i say okay. Im told by the person at bank of america that my sending limit is now the original amount without safepass.

I asked so how do i have those limits increased then? They tell me the only way to have it increased is by going back to the us... request a safepass for $20...and then wait 2 weeks to receive it in the mail. I ask can't you send it to my canadian address and they said no. I said so you can't send it to my home and then i have it mailed to me here? I was told no.

Does anyone know how to get their boa transfer sending limits increased while in canada? I had thought i had my limit increased before i came here when i did the safepass key on my phone and now they say i dont have it anymore.

I don't have a cell phone here in canada. However, i do have an itouch. Can i get the safepass key with my itouch? I read that with itouch you can get a phone number and thus receive text message?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.