Anyone else have terrible battery w/ Rocky Raccoon

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by terraphantm, Jun 4, 2012.

1. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I'd like to preface this stating that normally am very skeptical of battery life threads. It usually seems to be the case that it's a bad tweak or excessive usage causing short times.

However, now I'm experiencing terrible battery life despite keeping my phone in my pocket most of the day. I took my phone off the charger around 7AM this morning. And as of 2:17PM today, I'm at 24% remaining even though I didn't use the phone for more than checking the time and sending off a couple texts (literally only sent 3).

I am jailbroken on Absinthe 2.0; only tweaks I have installed are NCSettings, OpenSSH, TetherMe, and 3G Unrestrictor. I used to be able to get at least 12 hours of similar usage, but now it seems like it dies before I can get the chance to plug it in.

Anyone else have similar issues? Anyone have any suggestions?

2. bigsexyy81 macrumors 6502a

bigsexyy81

Sorry to hear! No bueno.

My battery life has been exceptionally GOOD. Shocking, I know.

3. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

If you did not do a clean restore and choose set up as new and not restore to backup, this is the most common reason for bad battery life.

It takes more time, but makes a big difference. Took my iPhone4 off the charger at about 10AM, it is now 3PM.

92% remains after phone calls (it is my only phone) iMessages, photos,, and lots of internet browsing.

4. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

No issues here. I always restore as new and then jailbreak and then set up my phone. The only thing I ever sync back to my freshly restored phone is my contacts and music. I manually install, one by one, all of my apps and jailbreak tweaks. Then I use the magnificent AppBackup to restore all my game saved data.

The only time I ever had battery drain issues was when my email accounts went berserk and were pinging the server every second. A simple delete, reboot, and re-add of the email accounts solved that problem.

5. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

For the last week my phone barely makes it to 2pm each day. Usually I don't have to charge it at all, I didn't really think about it since I almost always have a charger nearby.

I did a clean restore, then cydia wanted to install rocky raccoon. I wonder if it's the rocky raccoon update or 5.1.1. Maybe I will remove RR and try that for a few days.

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

No issues here, and I didn't do a clean restore, did a simple upgrade and then jailbroke, my Battery is same as always, 87% currently, normal usage (few calls, lots of SMSs and internet usage). Took it of the charger this morning at 8:30ist am.

7. LandonDonovan macrumors regular

Do you guys have any apps running? I lose about 3% per hour just by idling with email notifications on WiFi. I always make it through the end of the day on one charge though. I can sometimes go until the next morning too. iPhone 4 JB on 4.2.1 Verizon.

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

rocky raccoon is part of the 5.1.1 jailbreak any apps running (running in the background will effect battery life as will graphics intense things like games or tweak.

oh and battery life for me has been just fine.

9. 4nortons macrumors newbie

Mine is much better.

My 4S was bad when it was new, worse after 5.0.1, even worse after JB'ing on 5.0.1. But since upgrading to 5.1.1 and JB'ing, battery life is a lot better. I think it's as good as my 4 was.:)

10. violence macrumors member

Same here. (I have an iPhone 4, NOT 4S... can we keep the two separate for purposes of this thread? They are 2 separate phones, lets treat them as such since the hardware/software combos are different).
    I thought I was going crazy, but my usage is realistically quite low but the phone always reports half my total time as being "in use" which is not true at all... was fine with the exact same stuff on 5.0.1

11. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Actually, my battery life has been significantly better under 5.1.1 and Absinthe 2.0/Rocky Racoon than it was under 5.0.1 and Absinthe 1.0/Corona. And I have significantly more jailbreak apps and tweaks installed than you list.

12. Johnno2 macrumors newbie

Yes mate exactly the same thing here my bat was lasting 2 days I got cydia update for installous 5 and rr now my bat is not lasting the day if I didn't use my phone much It would stay on for days now wether I use it or not the bat dies quick just like when I was on tetherd jb why they gotta mess I don't know all was well till this update

13. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Yesterday I went in and turned of a lot of notification and location services. I had these off prior to the upgrade. I am hoping that fixes the problem.

14. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I was on 5.0.1 JB and the battery life was bad comparing to my 3G and 3GS. Ever since i updated to 5.1.1, the battery life is so much better and it also fixed the double SMS/Whatsapp tone glitch.

15. ACardAttack macrumors 6502

ACardAttack

Mine does seem a little worst with Rocky Racoon and I did a set up as new phone....though It seems to have gotten a tad better lately as I've fully drained the battery and given it a full recharge....also it is hard to say as I use my gba emulator a lot, but even getting on after a fully charge and checking facebook for a few minutes I see it drop to like 96% in about 6 minutes of use....I might try another restore and set up as new phone

16. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

My batteries atrocious with the JB and before you say it's what Ive installed from cydia the ONLY thing I got from cydia was SBsettings.

17. Netherscourge macrumors 6502

I've noticed no difference.

5.1.1 in general has been better than previous iOS versions.

However, between Jailbroken 5.1.1 and Official 5.1.1, it's seems exactly the same to me.

18. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

This thread makes me wonder....

With heavy SMS/internet usage and a few calls, my battery life is usually around 20% when I get home from work (take it off the charger at about 7:00 AM and get home around 6:00 PM).

Some of you say that your battery life is significantly better than this - although I always considered my battery life to be normal (I did see a decent improvement from 4.1 to 5.1, though).

I never do a clean restore (want to keep texts without having to SHSH and move them back in to the phone). This hasn't caused any issues so far, but I'm wondering if my battery life is normal now, or slightly impacted by my lack of "setting up as new" when I update.

Has anyone seen a big jump in battery life from 5.1 to 5.1.1? Or are you all on a 4S and just have better battery life in general due to hardware?

Thanks!

19. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

My battery life has actually been better, it may just be placebo.

20. violence macrumors member

I am getting terrible battery life with this latest update. I have an iPhone 4. Seems like the 4S folks are having decent/better battery life but the iPhone 4 crowd has seen a nosedive.
    With no Cydia tweaks installed, I lose about 25% overnight (approx 7-8 hrs) which is an almost 5x increase over 5.0.1 where I lost about 4-5% in the same amount of time. This is with the exact same apps as I had previously as well.

21. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

I have a 4 with some tweaks. I leave Wifi on all the time, and I don't have a dimmer on the screen - that doesn't sound normal. I would try a restore. If I don't have it charging, I lose maybe 1% overnight.

Do you have a lot of push notifications enabled?

22. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

I agree with ZCherub. I can't imagine why the 4S and 4 would have significantly different battery life never mind at the extreme you seem to be experiencing. Something is definitely not right. I usually only lose 1% overnight but sometimes it's a tiny bit more.

One time I experienced battery drain like you. It ended up being caused by my two email accounts. I deleted both accounts, rebooted and added one and configured, rebooted and added the second one and configured. The problem went away and never came back. I suggest you try the same thing. If it doesn't work I would restore as new and rejailbreak.

23. Jedii macrumors regular

Why does my 4s require rocky raccoon? I can't even remove it, my understanding is its only for devices on a4

24. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Because the Beatles were awesome. Seriously, though, it's because it is the underlying exploit that allows your device to boot jailbroken untethered.

----------

Good point, Bumpy. Try this before my restore suggestion - it's definitely easier! If that doesn't work, as Bumpy said, try the restore then.