Anyone else hear crinkling/crackling sounds when they lift their MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vinyl.warrior, May 31, 2010.

1. vinyl.warrior macrumors newbie

As I was lifting my MBP to put it into my backpack today, I heard some funny sounds coming from it. It's sounded like crinkling/crackling metal. Through some experimenting, I found that it seems to be coming from the bottom of the computer, mainly from the center area, but not necessarily from the direct center. I could hear the sounds even when I put some pressure on the outer middle area too.

I wasn't doing anything bad to the computer. I was just lifting it gently to put in into my bag. This is the first time I've noticed this, but that's not to say it hasn't happened before without me hearing it.

Anyone else notice this?

EDIT

15" MBP, C2D

2. Fuzz02 macrumors newbie

Fuzz02

I notice a weird noise when I lift up my 13 inch macbook pro (2010) too. It sounds to me like fan or something, although I'm really not sure.

I don't think it's something to worry about since other than that it's working perfectly.

3. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

I have the new model 2.66 13" pro as well and non of my pro's before this did this and I hear the chirping sound too, its basically from the hard drive guys I confirmed this but I am surprised everyone has not posted on it cause its pretty loud and annoying and there is no fix for it.

4. Chetoc230 macrumors member

its the sudden motion sensor. its there to park your hard drive before it scratches the hd surface should it be at a strange angle.

if it annoys you just turn it off. see link below to apple's support site.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1934

hope this helps

5. Fuzz02 macrumors newbie

Fuzz02

It only bothers me because I think I'm damaging my system. It's completely safe and not at all a sign of damage/leads to damage, right?

6. chopper dave macrumors regular

I think I have something similar in my 17" i7, and it's definitely not the SMS or anything electrical since it happens even when fully powered off. I think it sounds kind of like a high pitched creaking and is triggered by pressing the bottom somewhere near the center, or sometimes when picking it up, as the frame flexes slightly.

Has anyone bothered to take their MBP apart to try and track it down? I'm not really that worried since there is so little physical deflection needed to make the sound- it's probably just some interface between two pieces of metal that is rubbing slightly.

7. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

I can assure you guys on the new model this is not no motion sensor thing cause non of my models before did this.

8. Fuzz02 macrumors newbie

Fuzz02

It could be something to do with the metal frame of the laptop. Perhaps the new models allow the sound to be heard more easily?

I do recall my 2006 macbook making the same noise on occasion, but definitely not this often. Perhaps they tweaked it and made it more sensitive to be safer?

It definitely sounds like a mechanical click to me. Not too high pitched.. In fact, it's very much like the sound of changing the volume in OS X. They pitch is near that, although the sound is more mechanical than electronic.

Does anyone else hear it like that?

EDIT:

Actually, I just found a youtube video that has the clicking noise recorded. I don't know if this is what the original poster was talking about, I just noticed it around the time I saw the thread and assumed. Is this what you were talking about, vinyl.warrior?

The comments mention it being the sudden movement detector as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqjaTvNXFEE

9. Chetoc230 macrumors member

well im saying its the sms because i was wondering what the heck some strange clicking noise was.. this is on a 2010 mbp...

shut it off for a couple days and noise is gone.. turned it back on and noise is back.

you may try experimenting with it first before making a conclusion that it isnt the sms.

10. Bosmonster macrumors member

I have the same thing when I tilt my MBP. It's a very weak metal on metal sound. At first I thought the body was just touching one of the buttons on my jeans or something, but it really is coming from inside the MBP.

I have a SSD and SMS turned off, so that can't be it.

I'll be opening it when I have the time to see if I can find out anything about the source.

11. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

When I had my unibody opened to check the HD, I am pretty sure I saw a couple springy pins in several places. Not too sure what they could be there for, but they are probably what is causing the crinkling sound.

12. Bosmonster macrumors member

A "spring-like" sound is exactly what it is for me.

Time to open it and see if I forgot something screwing it back together after adding the SSD.

13. FangBianMian macrumors member

FangBianMian

I do get a weird change in fan tone (at least I think it's the fan)....it gets louder and more aggressive when I lift and tilt my 2010 15".

14. recKz macrumors newbie

I've got it as well on a stock 15" i5. It's definitely different to the sudden motion sensor. I've recorded both sounds on here. The first is much quieter and sounds like a tik-tik sound. The second one is the motion sensor.

http://storedfiles.me/fud8ieqhssix

15. Timur macrumors 6502a

Timur

When you remove the bottom cover you will notice two (on my 17" 2009) metal pins in the center area and additional ones on the sides. When you push and release the bottom cover these pins are pressed/rubbed against their opposite mounting which causes the sound.

The main problem is the clearance of the cover, it's just not stiff enough or has too little support. Not exactly premium quality. :apple:

16. vinyl.warrior thread starter macrumors newbie

It definitely sounds more like the first, quiet sound rather than the SMS parking sound.

I'm going to borrow my wife's 13" unibody macbook and drop my 15" off at the shop to be looked at. Even though it's probably the spring, best to make sure.

Really happy that I'm not the only one experiencing sounds, though. Thanks a lot you guys!

17. mtehonica macrumors regular

I had the same issue in my 13" MBP (Early 2010) and it turned out to be the SMS. I disabled the SMS and tested and it didn't happen anymore. When I turned it back on, it still didn't happen so apparently disabling and re-enabling the SMS fixed it. I fixed it by disabling and re-enabling SMS from Terminal. Run "sudo pmset -a sms 0" and then run "sudo pmset -a sms 1".

18. picklesmand macrumors member

When I opened my machine (core i5 2.4 15"), I noticed there were some spring loaded pins that make contact with the bottom cover. I pushed them in and they didn't make a sound, but I think they do when they rub along the bottom case. The sound happens when the bottom case flexes a bit and causes the pins to get pushed in and rub against the case. It's annoying, though it only happens occasionally, and only when the machine is not on a hard, flat surface.

19. vinyl.warrior thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried turning off and on my SMS sensor, but that didn't have any effect. Must be the spring. Annoying, but I'll live. Thanks to everyone for tearing down their systems and taking a peek inside.

20. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

i hear it in my 2.66ghz 15" i7 too. its like a very quick click. happy to see its happening in many others, so it must be "normal" :rolleyes:

21. Rm.237 macrumors 6502

Leave it to the forums of MacRumors to address the very same "issue" I noticed myself on my MBP just earlier today. I would describe it as more of a springy sound but I could detect a hint of crinkle as well. Good to know I'm not alone in this. :)

22. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

23. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

My guess is either

1) It's the motion sensor thing for the HDD.
    2) It's the black hinge on the back. Could be coming unaligned/loose
    3) The bottom piece of your MBP is becoming unaligned/loose and needs to be tightened.

24. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

ah same with mine :(
    disappointed...not really :p
    happens once in a while, but not enough for me to smash the mbp or take it to the apple store :D

25. Skyhorse, May 26, 2013
    Last edited: May 26, 2013

Skyhorse macrumors newbie

I have this problem to, crackeling noise when i move my MBP, often my cpu fan stops! after that. Then i have to restart to start it again. I monitor cpu temps and cpu fan speed becouse my MPB dosn't increase the fan speed until its over 90 degrees Celcius.

I also have a SSD so its not the hard drive.
    MPB 13 mid 2012