Anyone else hesitant to spend the $$ on the new iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hercurliness, Sep 5, 2012.

1. hercurliness macrumors member

Especially in this economy....
    I'm buying it unlocked. And seeing how much lower the costs of the 4s iPhone is now that the newest iPhone is approaching, I feel guilty spending the money.
    I know many of you are probably buying through Verizon, AT&T, or Sprint (which makes the inital cost somewhat cheaper), but am I alone in feeling guilty about this? XD

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you feel guilty or uneasy then you should reconsider.
    The new iphone is not a necessity.

3. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Most of us would rather wait to see what it has that's improved over the 4S before making any big decisions.

4. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

Not one bit. I already sold my phone on craigslist for a good price. I NEED to get one actually.

5. ET iPhone Home, Sep 5, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2012

ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

No guilt here, I'm definitely buying unlocked 32GB and going with a T-Mobile non-contract $30/mo. plan. And with respect to the economy, it will be much cheaper in the long run for me than to go with a 2-yr. contract. i'll decide once I see the phone and specs. If Apple offers 32,64, 128GB, then I'll go 64. I'll choose the happy medium and it'll still remain cheaper even with that upgrade in memory.

6. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

Nope. Tax deductible+have a buyer for mine for $600.

7. terryh703 macrumors regular

I have the AT&T early upgrade, so that's an additional $250 I have to spend on the phone...but I figure since I am getting a bonus and I can sell my 4s for a good amount it shouldn't be a problem. I feel like I should have waited to upgrade till this year because all I really wanted was a bigger screen.

8. gta50419 macrumors 6502

If the iphone 5 is the leak we're seeing now (Doubt it, I think apple have something massive in store) Then i won't be wasting my money on basically the same product i have now. I'll probably get the S3 or that nokia phone they announced today.

9. hercurliness thread starter macrumors member

Wow, this surprises me actually. Then again, I tend to be frugal. If I do end up buying it, however, I doubt I will have any regrets.

10. rbutler222 macrumors member

Feeling More Comfortable

The important thing to remember is that looking at a phone won't tell you if what you would like in a phone or not. Other's opinions won't do the trick as well. What is worse is to read professional, critical reviews whose statements on the good or bad of the phone is usually of a higher standard than what the normal or even higher-normal iPhone user would need to know.

The absolute method is to purchase the phone, fee or no fee and if you don't like it, then return it for a full refund. Be sure to work the phone fully each day up to the return deadline. What can you lose? Certainly no money.

But, in my honest opinion, choose the best carrier for you. Many like AT&T and others like Verizon. Most are pretty neutral regarding Sprint, not surprisingly so. So, check for best coverage for where you live.

AT&T's return policy is 30 days and I believe, now, for the iPhone only, Apple has changed their policy from 14 days to 30.

11. saberahul macrumors 68040

I’ll probably get it for the improved performance. Though, personally, I feel that if the current design is real, then it’s ugly as anything.

12. rbutler222 macrumors member

Ugly Current Design?

Ugly, or just minor image changes that we are all tired of. What can't be cured must be endured--at least by us. It is taller, however!!:rolleyes:

13. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

Not at all. I have an early upgrade waiting to be used on the new iPhone.

14. wongulous macrumors 6502a

Hesitant? Oh my gods, no. I've had two full two-year contracts, and then some, that I've wanted the iPhone, and several before that where I didn't know how great the iPhone would be but knew Apple could make a great phone.

But as a happy Sprint user, this is the first time my contract will be eligible and an iPhone will be available to me (so many people forget that Sprint hasn't had iPhones for a full 24 months yet).

And I am soooo tired of my Android phone.

I've already saved up $399 (hopefully the top tier, or at least a good tier model), $99 for AppleCare+, and $30-40 for a case for both myself and my partner, plus an additional $99 for an Apple TV and then the sales tax. I can't wait to go spend it and finally have gotten a superior product that I want really badly on Day One.

15. M87 macrumors 65816

Trading in my 16GB 4S will more than cover a 16GB iPhone 5, and I'd break even on the 32GB model. To me, it would seem stupid not to upgrade.

16. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I am getting the new phone because I consider my phone to be my primary computer, and my iPhone 4 is in shambles :-(

17. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

So I just dropped my HTC One and the screen is a shattered mess. I no longer have a reason to feel guilty for spending so much on a new phone. Now I'm only hoping the new phone will be compatible with T-Mobile's 3G frequency.

18. rbutler222 macrumors member

I agree totally. Although I am eligible for a iPhone 5 and did purchase my 4S on day one, I will pay the price of the phone itself from selling it. A friend of mine did the very same thing earlier this week. Of course, he has no personal phone, but he got $625 for his 64GB white, so he says it's worth the wait for another few days until his new one arrives--all dependent, of course, that he receives his order on the 21st or whatever day is the right one.

19. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

A month ago I was holding out hope that Apple might get serious & give us a larger display. But now it's apparent it's only half larger, so to speak. Ironically the "half" that needed an increase the most, remains stifled & narrow.

In lieu of Apple offering an exciting new phone, I'm most definitely buying a Nokia Lumia 920. A phone that's fresh, with the ideal spacious display I'd hoped Apple would adopt.

Apple's penchant for clinging to a tiny overall size, may not be the smartest move they've made for their flagship product.

20. rbutler222 macrumors member

Assuming you are referring to the iPhone 5, follow this link to an article in Extreme Tech as their writers speak with Neal Gompa in January 2012.

http://www.extremetech.com/electronics/113549-aws-compatible-iphone-coming-maybe

21. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Thanks. I was under the same impression though I wouldn't have put it past Apple to disable those frequencies altogether on the next iPhone. I'd be more than happy to shell out the $750 for having a contract-free phone that has access to 25MBPS data speeds just about everywhere I go.

22. ggmissmolly macrumors regular

I'm not sure why people seek approval for their actions on an internet forum, but you have my permission to do whatever you want. I'm not about to waste
    time feeling guilty about anything I do. I get a new phone every release because I can and I want to do so. If your situation is different then you need to do something to fit your situation.

As to bigger screens, buy an iPad. This says iPHONE. If I feel like I'm holding a dinner plate to my head or I have to buy pants 3 sizes too big to get it my pocket, then it isn't a phone. It's a hybrid device too big for a phone and way too small for a tablet. Next thing I know y'all will be suggesting that it should have wheels so you can drive it to work.

23. rbutler222 macrumors member

A T-Mobile issue

To respond to both you comments, who knows, outside of Apple, whether the 5 will work on T-Mobile's HSPA+ network as the 4S works on AT&T's HSPA+ network.

As to your other comment, I believe it was a comment on MDN where someone stated that there are now a larger segment of smartphone owners that prefer the smaller, hand-holdable screen that the 5 will sport assuming it still turns out to be a 4" screen. I know I would not want to carry a 5.4" screened monster. I personally would rather have a iPad Mini at 7.8" (if this is even true) and a phone. Where does one draw the line between large-screened phones and small-screened tablets. Truly, it's a personal matter.

As to going to or remaining with T-Mobile, well it's truly a personal choi.."

24. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

I have AU$1000 squirrelled away waiting for the next phone. This should easily cover the cost of the largest capacity Black iPhone 5 outright here in Australia :D

Now, once I get it, I'll sell off the old iPhone 4S and hopefully regain some of the $ back.

25. rbutler222, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012

rbutler222 macrumors member

As I just stated in my comment, I couldn't agree with you more. Just as there is a purpose for a theater stage or for a movie screen or museums to display art, they each have their own purpose. Carrying a 7" phone disguised as a tablet or vice versa is a ridiculous as watching Aida performed on an old movie-house stage.

----------

If money were no object, I would donate my 4S to a tech school that could use it for teaching purpose or donate it to my housekeeper or pass it on to my grandchildren. But, if it is, there is absolutely nothing wrong with trying to recoup some of the expense.

I decided to sell my 4S and am getting more for it used than I paid for it last October. I wonder if a Dr..d or Lu..a could say the same running And...d?