Anyone else irked by the rumor or smaller batteries in the iPhone 6s/ 6s Plus?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rockitdog, Aug 27, 2015.

1. rockitdog macrumors 68020

I'm slightly irked by the rumor of the smaller batter in the iPhone 6s/ 6s Plus. They cite increased battery efficiency as a reason for this.... here's an idea how about keeping the same size batter for MORE battery life!! What does Apple have against giving us long-lasting smartphone battery life?!?!

2. SR71 macrumors 68000

Probably to offset the increased weight and thickness of the display while also accounting for the increase in power efficiency of the A9 and possible new display tech (OLED or mLED) which would further increase efficiency.

3. rockitdog thread starter macrumors 68020

Maybe I'm naive (that and I've been using a Galaxy S6 which has horrible battery life) but I don't understand though, isn't a faster more powerful processor going to be more of a drain?

4. SR71 macrumors 68000

It's fabricated using a 14nm process vs. the current 20nm process so that alone should boost speed and efficiency by a significant margin. Keep in mind that speed in terms of raw power (I don't mean like 1GHz vs. 2GHz) doesn't just magically increase power. The only thing that'll increase power usage is if they increase the clock speed, such as going from 1GHz to 2GHz. The faster processor can get things done faster and then go back in to a low power idle mode as well.

Also, don't forget that the biggest power drain on a phone isn't the processor; it's the display. This is all leading me to believe the display is being updated to OLED or mLED which are both more power-efficient than LCD.

5. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

It does irritate me a little, even though the 6s should have improved efficiency to keep good battery life with the smaller battery. Why can't they just keep the battery the same size, add another 0.2 or 0.3 mm onto the phone, have an improved, and more efficient processor. The battery would remain the same size, and the improved efficiency would help make the battery last even longer!

6. FriendlyMackle macrumors regular

FriendlyMackle

My take on this (if it is true - which sounds possible) - is that they don't want to go 'backwards' toward a thicker phone. Personally, .2 or .3 mm wouldn't bother me. But neither am I overly upset about the purported battery reduction. And, I'm probably skipping this version and will get the 7 next year.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

I predict that the S version of the 6 and 6+ will have about the same battery life as the current version which is more than enough for most of the people using it. My 6+ has the best battery of any iPhone I have ever had and I am not going to be "irked";)

8. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I'd rather have a fatter phone and MORE battery. Can never have too much juice.

I will say though that my 6+ is like a tank the battery life is great. I would be bummed if they decrease that in the 6s+

9. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

I'd be worried about the health of Apple if they didn't continue their obsessive compulsive practice of making it thinner.

All we have to do is look at all the threads in the forum requesting a thinner phone... Oh wait :eek:

10. rockitdog thread starter macrumors 68020

Samsung placed smaller batteries in their Galaxy devices this year and promised better efficiency and it's been the exact opposite! Horrible battery life! I hope Apple isn't going down this path!

11. Trailerman macrumors member

Yes, very concerned about smaller battery reports. Battery life in new phones should be better, not worse, than that of 2-3 years ago, yet we seem to be going in the opposite direction.

I'd gladly live with an extra mil in depth to get more life. I've been sitting on a 2 year old HTC M One waiting to pre-order the 6S on release, but I'm now thinking about an S6 Edge+ - far bigger battery, but still a smaller phone than the massive iPhone 6 plus.

12. Art0fLife macrumors member

Art0fLife

Not really to be honest. I'm already seeing how much more efficient iOS 9 is on my iPad Mini 3. My iPhone 6 plus, I got it when it launched. It still lasts 48 hours minimum before really NEEDING a charge. Heaviest use, I am still ending the day with at least 40% or so. Honestly it gets me through a day easy with room to spare, through 2 days on average, so the battery being a bit smaller on a far more efficient OS, I'm really not bothered. I can understand the need to make room for the force touch and all. I'm with most, I'd rather have more battery... I'd like to not have to charge my phone for a week. So I'm with most on the preferring a bit more thickness if I had to pick and choose (though more for flushing the camera lens than anything else).

But my 6 Plus is already an improvement over the 8-12 hours MAX I'd get from my 4s or 5s before they hit zero even when they were new, so I can deal with having to charge every couple of days. Hell, I'd be fine charging nightly. I'm not using it then anyway. I'll be pissed if my 6 Plus S won't at least meet what my 6 Plus can do battery wise, but I'm holding off judgement because I'm betting it'll meet or exceed it. As long as we don't go back to the 5s and below "struggling to end a work day with even 1% left" I'm good.

13. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Yeah the Plus has good battery life. But as someone who wants to downsize to the regular 6S, which does not, I'll share in the irkage, ;).

14. rocketkev macrumors member

I'm struggling to understand why they wouldn't just keep the old battery size for the phone 6. I find it hard to believe that the screen is taking up the battery real estate. Apple is changing the structural integrity of the Iphone 6s with a 7000 grade aluminum shell but the device itself is taller, thicker because of it. The only thing i can think of is a larger wider logic board would affect the battery size.
    Here is a comparison of both batteries. if only we could make out the WHR on the battery, we could put this rumor to bed.
    http://imgur.com/gallery/QACOK?campaign_name=notification_firstpost

15. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

My 6 has the 2nd best battery I have had in any iPhone only beaten by the 6+.

16. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

I'm not too irked. They put a smaller battery in the iPad Air 2 and I still get over a 24 hours of usage with days of stand by. Battery capacity isn't everything. If I get my 6s+ and it only gets 4 hours of screen on time like other flagship phones on rivaling platforms, then I'll be irked.

17. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

As long as battery life remains around the same.

18. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

:) That's good to hear. I've read a lot of complaints on this forum so I was under the impression it was not much better than the 5s in real world conditions. My 5s was awful, so I've had my worries about that comparison.

Okay I will reduce my level of irk by 15%. ;)

Since making my post I've been reading a few more rumors that make me feel more optimistic that this change won't be a disaster. I'm thinking the new S's are going to be really sweet upgrades.

19. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Ok I may be crazy, but I had thought that the "6s" that they had put together was with "some" iPhone 6 parts as well?

How do we know the battery in that phone isn't from the iPhone 6?

20. TWD98j macrumors regular

Yeah it kind of IS "irksome" to hear - it reminds me of what Apple did going from the 4 to the 4S. The 4S had the exact same dimensions and nearly identical design, yet they went with a smaller capacity batter with the 4S.

But that is also part of the reason I never leave without a mophie juice pack either.

21. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Irked by rumors? No.

I might be irked if real world numbers are less than now, but I'll wait until actual announcement and then actual usage to spend any amount of emotional currency.

22. Andres Cantu macrumors 68020

Andres Cantu

This is what I said in another post. It seems like the new trend is smaller batteries, huh?

23. Andres Cantu macrumors 68020

Andres Cantu

Actually, the only iPhone model to have gone backwards in terms of battery capacity is the iPhone 3G. All the other iPhones have gone up from there. But I understand your frustration. All previous "S" models have improved their battery capacities from their "regular" models (even if only slightly), so this unconfirmed-yet-realistic rumor is a disappointment, especially because it's around a 100mAh decrease.

The iPad Air and iPad Air 2 both had smaller batteries than their predecessors, and reported battery life has never been as good as the iPad 2,4 (the 32nm version) and the iPads 3 and 4.

24. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

The batt. will be 85mAh smaller which is roughly a 5% loss. I don't like the reduction but it is a pretty small loss.

25. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

No matter what new cpu or new software optimizations there are, the dominant factor is battery capacity. Period. It can cure a lot of woes. A poorly designed phone, if stuck with a bit chunkier battery, will last longer than average.
    Looking at the Z3 Compact, considered a bit chunky, has a 2600 milliamp battery, and its battery life, with all of android's backgrounding cowboy processes and all, still lasts twice as long as an iPhone 6. Its camera really stinks otherwise I'd be giving that one a hard look.

I agree with everyone that the 6S will get at most 1 more hour of web surfing time, but if you work at 1/3 brightness or so. So in other words: negligible to no battery life improvement. By all accounts the current 6+ has outstanding battery life, but for the many of us who don't want to carry around an iPad mini everywhere we go (that's what the 6+ is), we're left with the iPhone 6 which has mediocre battery life. I mean it should be a lot worse given its capacity but after all those tricks that Apple does, it only manages to bring the battery life up to average levels. But yes, hours/milliamp Apple phones do last longer. Apple spends all that time optimizing only to cripple their phones by skimping on the capacity!