Anyone else leaving politics?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SteveJobzniak, Oct 6, 2017.

?

Are you leaving politics?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  2. No, but thought about it

9 vote(s)
    26.5%
  3. No, and never thought about it

20 vote(s)
    58.8%
  1. SteveJobzniak macrumors 6502

SteveJobzniak

I've had enough of stupid, obtuse people on the left and right. Goodbye, politics! It's not worth my time.

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

3. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yet it was worth your time to post this poll and rant? :rolleyes: :D

Buh-bye.

4. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

I've thought about it, but I realized I can't escape it. That said, I'm never going to just "pick a side". I lean more toward one side, of course, but I have no "party loyalty" and I will never hesitate to disagree with and speak out against people on my "side" if it violates my own personal beliefs.

5. Phonephreak macrumors 6502a

Phonephreak

6. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

I've actually been on a hiatus from PRSI for some time now. I won't be posting as much as I did before just out of the shear amount of issues and things happening around our country lately. I always enjoyed reading different responses on here and everyone's point of view, but as someone previously said, we're all pretty much stuck on our sides and that pretty much represents the nation as a whole and how divided we are. What I do find interesting is what's happening with the Republican party. By 2018 it won't be the same party of 2016, hell even of 2010 and the Tea Party movement.

7. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Never thought about it.

I don't have the privilege to, my life and wellbeing are "politicized" at this point, so I kind of have to keep fighting.

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

We all wait to see what his family's recipes are as well. ;)

BL.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Nope. I've found leaving PRSI is much more effective than leaving politics. I've only posted maybe 5 times since November. Politicians want you to leave politics.

10. Scepticalscribe, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017

Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Off with you, then.

And might I add what an unusually silly and thoughtless thread topic.

In the absence of "politics" power runs the risk of becoming the exclusive preserve of the strong, (those who are militarily strong, economically strong, culturally strong or theologically strong - because such elites will often symbiotically combine with a caste of powerful clergy who will supply justifications for their rule sprinkled with a divine flavour - who will often use it to exploit, abuse and systematically plunder and disempower the weak).

No, I'm not leaving politics.

My life, profession and personal interests all involve the teaching of, study of, investigation of, and the analysis of politics and power.

Even if it didn't, some things are worth fighting for, and, in the absence of complete conflict, one seeks societal - and legal, economic and political - change through political means.

11. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Not only am I not leaving, I've lately joined organizations who promote and protect my beliefs, and started volunteering for campaigns.

12. SteveJobzniak thread starter macrumors 6502

SteveJobzniak

13. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

That's where I am. I've become a centrist. Even if it makes both sides unhappy with me, I'd rather try to think of what is best. I can't follow one side blindly anymore.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Bye.

(expecting another SteveJobzniak post in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...)

15. SteveJobzniak thread starter macrumors 6502

SteveJobzniak

Bye.

16. LordVic macrumors 603

You can try and leave politics. But the simple fact of the matter is everything you do in life is impacted in some way by the political machinery of your country. you can either choose to sit on the sidelines and be swept along and complacent, or be active and use your voice.

I will always use my voice. They might not listen to it, but I'll be damned if I sit on the sidelines while injustices against people still occur and governments make decisions that may harm me.

the good nations will have leaders who listen. the others.... well. I'll let you judge your own leaders on your own merit.

17. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

Yeah, I decided to stop debating it online. What's the point? It's just a circle jerk on both sides; a proverbial confirmation bias vacuum. It's the same people here every day. If I'm going to try and make a difference, I might as well go out and do it in-person instead of slamming away at my keyboard.

18. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

For most of history, most men and almost all women (and - needless to say - Some Races And Ethnicities) had absolutely no say in how their lives were ordered, in who ruled them, and had absolutely no say in the decisions - some awful, others downright damaging and dangerous to their interests - which governed their lives.

"Politics" allows for public participation - and, via the ballot box, private participation - in the political process, and in having a say in who governs you.

Now, in the western world, you can make a choice - though the political process - not only in who governs you, but in the sort of platform that those who seek to govern you offer during an election campaign.

19. chown33 macrumors 604

What?! And give up comedy?

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I have thought about leaving myself. There's just too much team sports, and you can virtually lay out exactly how each argument will go based upon whose ox is being gored. I’m participating more today because i’m home while new windows are being installed. And yes, it’s been as predictable (including my take) as ever. While I don’t plan on leaving entirely, I am reducing my participation rate, though I expect it to spike back up again during trump’s impeachment.

21. Mac'nCheese Suspended

Mac'nCheese

Well, hopefully it spikes real soon.

22. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68040

Ulenspiegel

Same here.
    At least we can tell political jokes to each other, S ;)

23. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Not giving up politics. But I am giving up the following (and I reserve the right to edit/ad):

"not paying attention"
    The Sky Is Falling Again Today, For Realz

24. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

I'm not a politician, so I'm not in politics.

I'm just a citizen in a mostly free county, and I'd like to see it get more free, not less, so I'll continue to express my opinions on politics, and vote, when there is someone, or something worth voting for.

25. budselectjr, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017

budselectjr macrumors 6502a