Anyone else looking Forward to the gmail app?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by himynameiscody, Nov 2, 2011.

1. himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Push email sucks , Im used to blackberry. I currently just use the mobile web for gmail

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

Your first sentence makes no sense. What would you rather have than push email? Push is what Blackberry does, and also what is easily done on iphone. I suspect you've misunderstood the different between push and fetch.

Set up Gmail as an Exchange Activesync not using the IMAP Gmail setup. See http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=138740

3. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Push email works flawlessly for me with my gmail, using the email app. If I have my gmail open I will almost always get it on my phone before I see it on the web.

With that being said, I don't believe I want the gmail app but I will test it out, Would be interesting if you can customize what you want pushed on the notification screen.

4. NoHo macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I am. I use a few gmail accounts. Push is fine but an official app would be awesome.

5. French macrumors regular

I'm trying to figure out why I would want the Gmail iPhone application if I've set up my Gmail as Exchange?

6. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Me too, however a couple of things comes to mind: the ability to archive messages and label support all while still getting push.

7. iTorment macrumors member

iTorment

I do, the one thing I missed from about Android.

8. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Editable, synced drafts.
    Server side search.

Maybe label support, though exchange mode still has the labels displayed as folders, so that's a lesser feature.

But we'd probably lose auto-complete for contacts, which really sucks for composing emails. On iOS, I can type dad, and it finds my dad's email. In gmail, I type Dad it's confused even though Dad is associated with his contact, so I have to remember when I'm using their halfassed webmail client to type his first name.

9. French macrumors regular

From what I understand, when you "delete" in exchange you are actually archiving.

For labels...gmail set up as exchange shows them as folders.

And we have server search as well (though it's been haphazard at best as to when it works).

10. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Hmm...didn't know that. I'll have to test it out.

I'd like to see labels attached to specific messages while in the inbox though.

11. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I believe only if it's setup as IMAP. Correct me if I am wrong.

12. esmith macrumors member

My Gmail is setup as exchange so I have no need for a Gmail app.

13. Millionin20s macrumors regular

I've had a problem with Gmail and Exchange talking to each other properly, and I'm not opposed to a good app that works as intended. Bring it.

14. theuser-1 macrumors newbie

Whe are you guys using Gmail set up as exchange instead of just adding regular gmail account in iOS mail app? Is there any difference?

15. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

To receive emails via push as opposed to fetch.

16. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

When using the mail app for gmail, whether push or fetch, you see a list of unread emails and a line or two summary in the lockscreen. I assume you'd lose this functionality with the gmail app? I find the ability to quickly scan unread emails in the lockscreen, and swiping to read the one I want to see to be incredibly useful.

17. theuser-1 macrumors newbie

I thought if you enable PUSH in settings/mail it would still push it to the phone, no matter it is a regural gmail account.

18. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Nope, can't do it with POP/IMAP. The protocols don't support it.

19. theuser-1 macrumors newbie

20. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

google finally gets off their ass after some serious competition from iCloud. :rolleyes: push email was long overdue from google. Before I get any iCloud email sucks and lacking in features responses, I'd like to say iCloud is more than sufficient for the average user. Apple is doing a rather swell job at making the ecosystem bigger.

21. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

The only feature that I could see making a big difference is labels, but since I don't usually keep many emails in my Gmail account any more (I've reformed my pack rat ways :) ), I don't really need to attach multiple labels to any single message.

22. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

If it allows me to add an attachment while I'm composing an email, I'll be all over it like a fat kid on a cupcake.

23. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

Uh, label = put it in the corresponding folder. Archive = delete. Delete = put it in 'trash'

Not hard.

24. deeddawg macrumors 604

For photos, you can do this although it's a bit cumbersome. Switch to Photos, tap+hold on a photo, tap Copy, switch back to email and paste. For multiple photos, tap the box with arrow in the upper right, select multiple photos, then tap Copy, switch to Mail and paste.

25. nfl46 macrumors 603