Anyone else not a fan of screen protectors?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Anthony T, Sep 22, 2012.

?

Do you use a screen protectors on your phone?

1. Yes

45 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. No

109 vote(s)
    70.8%
  1. Anthony T macrumors 6502a

I don't see the point in using a screen protector. I've never scratched the screen of my phone, and if you drop the phone face down, a screen protector isn't going to prevent it from cracking.

Cases I understand and usually use, because they protect the phone from getting scuffed and/or breaking when you drop it (not always, but most of the time). But for my iPhone 5, I bought AppleCare+ for the first time and I'm just going to use a bumper. I want to enjoy my phone the way it was intended as much as possible for once.

2. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

I never use a case or a screen protector, naked all day every day!

3. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

always got a case and protector, until the 4s then went naked this last year, liked it alot better, gonna be going to get some fabric in a sec to sew a pouch for the phone so i have something to set it on/in while at work instead of at work with all the flashdrives and paperclips that normally litter my pockets

4. MacChinoNyc macrumors 6502

I only like them if put on perfectly, crystal clear, no air bubbles as if nothing was on the screen. But I have yet to find that to be the case.

5. Ahonen macrumors 6502

Ahonen

I am not a fan of trying to get the damn things on without bubbles or lint and dust trapped underneath.

6. johnothy macrumors regular

johnothy

I bought a zagg shield at Best Buy for my iphone 5. It already has a few dust specs and now these splotchy stains in three places on it. I'm planning to return it. I bought these for my iPhone 4 and the smudge proof one was terrible. The regular one wasn't too bad but then it ended up peeling around the edges so I just took it off. The phone was easier to use without one on.

7. apierrec macrumors 6502

8. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

X2 iPhones are too nice to cover. specially the 5

9. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

The only time I've ever had damage an iPhone screen was one time when an idiot at work hid my iPhone 4 inside my toolbox. I've been rocking them naked ever since the 3G (never had the original). I don't like screen protectors or cases.

10. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Never understood the compulsion to own something nice and then cover it up so that you never get to appreciate it just so the next person that you sell it to can.

No logic in that at all.

11. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

SGP screen protector

I used a SGP on my S3 and although it did protect the screen, the protector got kind of scratchy. I guess it did its job, although I don't know if I would have scratched the screen. I got a SGP for my Iphone 5 and as I was putting it on( with some difficulty), I just said, " **** it" and I am going naked on the front. I do have a very nice Diztronic case that the phone is in. It has a small ridge on the front bezel that protects the phone if you put the face down.

12. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Sure there is if you like to protect what you own, & preserve its value. Functionally it's the same in a case or not. Naked iPhones are overrated IMHO anyway b/c they provide no tactile grip like a case can.

13. Adutrumque macrumors 65816

Adutrumque

I will get a case .. without that extra glass - now the only thing I'am worried about here is that I have keys in my pocket - and accidentley sometimes I put them in the same pocket- now here you see, thats the problem. I should get some extra pocketbag for the iPhone - sure - but never that plastic on the screen. Gets unresponsive by the second you put it on.:mad:

14. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I could not agree more.

Apple has gone to great lengths to perfect the tactile experience with an expertly applied Oleophobic coating over what is the best touchscreen in the industry. Designed to be used & enjoyed.

Then buyers cover it up with all different grades of clear plastic films, defeating the engineering marvel Apple has created. Robbing themselves of the wonderful experience that is there to enjoy.

Only in the next breath, to bash Samsung for using plastic in their smartphone.

The Apple devotees sure seem to love being hypocritical.

----------

Here is an absolutely perfect solution I've used for years. It's elegant, extremely durable, of very high quality the value is unlike any other. They will have the iPhone 5 version ready shortly. I order one every year as I replace my iPhones on launch day.

http://www.senacases.com/apple/iphone-4-cases/ultraslim/

15. sydia21 macrumors regular

sydia21

I always use a case but find screen protectors to be a waste of time and money.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have ghost armor on my front and back and sides. In the past (3gs) the oleophobic coating wore off my phone. I do not want to take a chance on that. Plus it protects it from dings and scratches that may occur.

With Scuffgate going on, the back and sides of my iPhone are now protected. Its a personal choice and if someone chooses to go naked then fine, but my choice is to have a layer of protection

17. KPOM macrumors G5

That's the case I used for my 4S. It's pretty good and I've ordered one for my 5. Unfortunately it won't be out until late October. It's great for preventing pocket/purse damage.

One observation I have is that the case for the first few days is very tight and it may be difficult to put the phone in and take it out. After a week, it gets much easier.

18. darngooddesign macrumors G3

People who say they would never use a case or screen protectors exist is gentle padded worlds and have soft hands. I work on motorcycles so you can bet ill use a case, and my fingertips have calluses whic can wear down the ole phobic coating.

19. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I'd say that the screen is going to be the most durable part of the iPhone 5!

I never scratched the glass of my iPhone 4 in 2 1/2 years with no case, but my iPhone 5 is already showing wear on the antenna band.

20. leenak macrumors 68020

I don't use screen protectors but I I'd buy a Seidio Surface case. It is an awesome metallic-looking purple. I think the case personalizes it a bit. I have looked at sleeves too but a lot of them are boring and/or leather. I did find some interesting fabric sleeve on etsy but I think I don't need anything beyond my case.

21. NYY FaN macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

I always use one since I typically put my phone in my pocket and don't want the screen to scratch. I use power support and I never even notice it...not to mention it helps with minimizing fingerprints on the screen.

22. Steven. macrumors regular

Well. I'm not normally a fan of screen protectors and only used one once on my 4 for a few months, however this time I've tried something different on the 5 - I've left the protective film on the front and back which the iPhone came wrapped in (its also in a very slim case). It's just a personal preference that I really want to avoid scratches on this item. It also means I don't need to fork out £10-£20 on a piece of plastic.

23. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Hate them, and cases. I chose to buy AppleCare instead of hundreds of dollars in protection to the phone. That way if an accident happens I'm good. :apple:

24. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

That'll get nasty after awhile.

----------

No screen protector. I used to toss my 4s into my purse and it never got scratched.

I have a case. I don't like scratches on metal or plastic. If a case gets scratched up, I can toss it and buy a new one.

25. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I tried one of the Otterbox Defender cases and just hated the screen protector--and I've had the stick on kind on my 3GS and hated that too. I do have a Speck case on my 4S and actually like the feel of that better than the phone without the case--price is cheap too. First one was only $8--but the rubber has worn on the edges so I've ordered a new one--$12 this time.