Anyone else not getting 100% success with fingerprint?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yalag, Oct 4, 2013.

1. yalag macrumors 65816

Anyone else not getting 100% success with fingerprint? I've tried rescanning the fingerprint multiple times, it's still not 100%. It works like 90% of the time but that's not really good enough. Really annoying to have to retry. And no, there's no dirt or water or anything on it. It just fails randomly.

2. Ann P macrumors 68020

It worked fine the first couple of days...but now I have to be real precise with my thumb or finger placement.

3. It Is James macrumors member

Nothing will ever work perfectly 100% of the time. It works fine enough for me to keep it from becoming an annoyance, although I can't say the same for all people because I've only ever used one iPhone 5S. Maybe I was lucky.

4. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

Sliding works 100% of the time.

5. AJ007 macrumors newbie

AJ007

I was having all sorts of problems with my FP button and one thing occurred to me.... dry cracked skin. I work on cars and it can cause all sorts of problems with drying out your skin and screwing with your prints. my GF recommended aveno(sp?) lotion. 6-7$ a bottle at Walmart. I used it for 2 days and not only do my hands feel softer the FP scanner works flawlessly with the healing and moisture of that lotion. i'm guessing men have more problems with the FP scanner then the girls out there, lol.

6. celly macrumors 6502

7. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

8. It Is James macrumors member

I should've limited my statement to hardware ;)

This.

9. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

I get 100% because I make sure to put my thumb on the scanner and not my finger tips which most ppl do. Use your whole thumb and not tips.

10. WilliamG macrumors 604

Exactly. I'm at probably 95-97% of the time, but every so often you just mis-hit or your fingers are dirty or whatever it is. Nobody gets 100%.

11. thisonekidmongo macrumors newbie

I'd say it works about 90%-95% of the time for me. I scanned in my primary finger (right thumb) three times, not sure if that helps.

12. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Mine works great and I'm happy with it, but no, just like the other posters have said, there's no 100% for this sort of thing….

Mine hasn't worked a few times, once my hands were very cold, another time damp and it also happened when I sat my thumb oddly on the button, but as soon as I noticed the issue and repositioned, all was fine.

13. Ries macrumors 68000

Like the capacitive touch screen registering the slide? :)

14. CorbinDallas macrumors member

Just want to add my $.02 here since Ive used quite a few 5s. The phone I first purchased on launch day definitely worked the best. I've since had to replace it twice at apple due to some other reasons and neither of the 2 replacements have been as accurate. I've re-set the fp scanner many different times thinking it was me but this device just isn't as responsive. I got annoyed to the point where I just deactivated it all together. It's a great feature to have, but I saw a pretty significant variance from my initial device to now.

15. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I've noticed I get like a 98% success rate when I push the home but and just barely let the button up keeping a firm grip on the button. Sometimes the screen will come on after it's registered thus I never even see the lock screen.

16. Harmonious Zen macrumors 6502a

I'm not getting 100%, but damn near close to it. Very happy so far with Touch ID. It's one of those things that you wouldn't want to live without once you experience it. Entering pass codes seems so lame now!

17. Raibyn macrumors regular

Raibyn

I'd guess 95% success rate for me. In my opinion the fingerprint scanner works as advertised. I miss it when I have to unlock my iPad mini.

18. matttye macrumors 601

Occasionally if I accidentally use the edge of my finger/thumb rather than the pad, it won't register. Works the vast majority of the time.

19. aluren macrumors 65816

I stored 3 prints of my left thumb in various angles and now it's working 100% of the time.

20. gSOLO macrumors member

gSOLO

I did the same. I did a print with my thumb on there flat and one with the tip and side. Was having an issue when it was in the dock, adding the other angle(s) and I'm at 99.9% now, so it's all good. Even before then though, it was pretty good in almost all other circumstances.

21. Dstopsie macrumors 6502a

I received my gold 32 gig ATT phone on September 25. Fingerprint touch ID on this phone worked 25% of time with 75% failure

Made Genius Bar appointment on September 29, took it in and they had me reinstall the software. Worked for a little while and by the next day would not recognize my prints. Got sick and tired of it made another genius appointment and went last night October 3

Since I am within the 14 day return. They returned the phone and gave me a brand-new gold 32 gig ATT phone brand-new in the box, the full retail box, not the replacement box. And it is working 100% of the time using the same exact fingers that failed on the first phone that I received. In fact the Home button doesn't even feel the same as it did on my prior phone and the on off sleep wake button isn't as loose as my prior phone

I Did contact AppleCare on the phone and trouble shot the phone through them but they wanted to send me out one of their replacement phones and while I know that that it's too soon for that to be refurbished I wanted a phone in a full retail box with the serial numbers that match my box so that is why I went back to the store and was able to obtain what I wanted. The Manager was very nice and without hesitation replaced it and I was lucky that they even had a 32 gig gold ATT phone in stock at 5:30 PM in the evening

Needless to say I am very happy with my touch ID. I could not figure out why mine would not work when my friends who all ordered the iphone 5s have no issue in using touch ID. the only difference is they did not have the gold phone

It's interesting to note that the phone I received last night at the store it's full retail box was manufactured at a different plant then the one that I received on September 25

Sorry for the long post but it's not always a software issue or that you're doing the fingerprints wrong in my case the phone was defective

22. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

While not much in life is 100% I gotta say the fp reader does a pretty good job ... Fairly impressed ... I remember 1st - 2nd gen scanners on laptops ... They were so hit and miss.

23. hcole623 macrumors regular

hcole623

My Experience

I'm having a lot of issues with mine, here is my experience so far:

--The first few days, TouchID performed flawlessly.

--I started noticing failures around day 3

--I've reset the fingerprints database in TouchID settings several times (re-programmed my thumbs and index fingers)

Trends with failures:
    1)When I'm at work (somewhat humid laboratory)
    2) Dry thumb-tips
    3) Also after washing hands

Then I noticed that most of the time my thumb will leave an actual thumb-print on the sensor lens/button

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[Note that the fingerprints in pictures are at certain lighting angles, there is no actual liquid/grease/debris/physical residue on the sensor any more than a regular fingerprint]

This seems to be the root cause, if I clean the button with a microfiber cloth I CANNOT get it to fail.

24. s54 macrumors regular

I have 100% success rate with my fingerprint scanner for the last 3 days of ownership. Never once failed to unlock the phone.

It's simply perfect. Can't imagine living without it now that I got used to it.

25. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I have 5 fingers registered on my 5S.

Both thumbs, both pointers, and my middle finger on my left hand.

I have had 100% success using each and every finger. It has never failed me.

I'm wondering why so many people are saying it's not working 100% of the time. Maybe you're not being consistent with finger placement, or your have dirty fingers... I dont know. That sucks though...