Anyone else notice a HUGE improvement in 3G this morning (August 19, 2008)?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spamdumpster, Aug 19, 2008.

1. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

Like many, my 3G has simply sucked since 2.01. 2.02 was no help. Over the past few days, I basically was unable to get any data over 3G, even when I had 5 bars (downtown Boston).

I upgraded to 2.02 last night -- no change.
    Hard reset, power on off, toggle airplane mode & 3g -- no change.
    I did a restore and set up as a new phone (i.e., did not back up) -- no change.

This morning I had nothing -- Websites would start to load, but the progress bar would stall about 1/4 of the way across and get stuck there, moreover, when I switched to EDGE, I was routinely getting pushed down to GPRS.

All of sudden, at approx. 10:30 am ET, my 3G started humming. Repeated Speed tests are showing download speeds of about 1 Mbps. Websites are loading fast. Everything is working great.

WTF? Anyone else experiencing this? I have a 2 pm appointment with the geniuses today to swap out the phone, but now, of course, there's no need to go. I'm sure that as soon as I cancel the appointment, my phone will revert to its old ways.

2. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

it could've just been service disruption/upgrades in your area. personally, i live in a very 3g-rich area, so i've always got 5 bars of 3g and 1.5mbps download speeds, even indoors. congrats on getting better 3g service though!

3. spamdumpster thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think you're right -- especially since the EDGE to GPRS problem seems to have gone away as well. Trust me though, knowing my luck, the service will degrade about 2pm this afternoon. Everyone in Boston can blame me for this.

EDIT: phone is still dropping from EDGE to GPRS. Jeebus, apple and at&t can't even get EDGE right.

4. gibbz macrumors 68030

Mine still stinks. Glad to hear your sppeds are better.

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Interesting, you're right. I wasn't having signal issues, but my 3G speed was around the 700-800kbps range. Now it's the 900-1.2Mbps range.

Maybe there were two parts to this upgrade: a handset component (2.0.2) and a network component. *shrug*

6. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

nope. 3g reception is still terrible here in Dallas.

7. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Really? I find most of Dallas to be pretty good. Now Carrollton on the other hand....sucks for 3G.

8. squeakyclutch macrumors member

squeakyclutch

no.

9. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

Any improvement or non-improvement is in your head...

10. philly's finest macrumors newbie

so i had a replacement phone sent to me and have test both my old and new

new replacement has 2.0.2 and is getting only 2-3 bars of 3g with data speeds of .49 mbps to .77 mbps

old phone that drops calls has 2.0.1 and is getting 5 bars of 3g with data speeds of 1.2 mbps to 1.55 mbps

so what do i do? old phone says i have service but drops 1 in 5 calls but has better data and looks like service is good. new phone has barely any bars but doesnt drops calls however data speeds suck

11. Macrimonious macrumors member

I was having the same issues this morning (in Boston) 5 bars of 3G, no data speed whatsoever. Shut the phone off, turned it back on, and now we're zipping along here. Updated to 2.0.2 last night.

12. spamdumpster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dude, this comment is both unhelpful and incredibly stupid. How could going from being unable to browse the web to being able to browse the web be "in my head"?

My bad, apparently you have a very good understanding of what's in everyone's head: