Anyone else notice on Apple changed the battery lifetime for the 3GS online?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gforce216, Jul 30, 2009.

1. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

Before it used to read Standby: 300 hours, in the Tech Specs for the 3GS. They have now reduced it to 277 hours. Maybe someone at Apple has realized that the battery isn't all it's hyped up to be.

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

It's really not that shocking considering all the performance bumps. Unless Apple squeezed in a battery that was a lot better, it was going to take a hit. I have noticed an extreme difference in my new phone, but that's compared to a 2G model. I have to charge my phone overnight. But considering how much I use it for data and playing music, it's not really that bad. Apple won't really make huge strides in battery life without either making the battery larger or not upgrading the guts.

3. iNoob3 macrumors member

My 3gs battery life is so much netter than my previous phone which was the sidekick 3 lol

4. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Those crooks! Watch them downgrade the rest of the figures - after everyone already bought one, of course.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

No. If they were crooks they wouldn't update their information to be ACCURATE.

p.s. - did you really buy the iPhone for the stated battery life? And if the battery life was stated as 277 hours instead of 300 would you have NOT bought it?

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Standby, with NO background applications running, is NOT 277 hours. Perhaps in Aiplane mode with the thing off, but then all you have is an expensive paperweight.

7. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

...and if they change the WiFi browsing time from 9 hours to 7?

To answer your question, yes, the rated battery life was a factor in my purchase. Why wouldn't it be?

P.S. I just checked their tech specs - standby time still reads up to 300 hours for me.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

9. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Nice.

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I totally forgot about centihours. :D

11. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I never once considered battery life when I purchased my iPod Touch, iPhone 2G, 3G, or 3GS. I assumed the battery would last long enough, and it does.

12. geekmommy4 macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

LOL Good one! You guys are on a roll this morning! ;)

13. labman macrumors 604

labman

Thanks

gave me a morning laugh! :D

14. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

When considering that the previous models are pretty much the same product, you have to leverage the incremental improvements in hardware to the price (both upfront costs and committing to a new contract). From a hardware standpoint it comes down to: faster speed, better camera, and improved battery life.

Their battery life claims are not insignificant - they advertise improvements of 20% for iPod functions and up to 50% increase for WiFi browsing! So when it performs as well as or worse than your previous iPhone, yeah, it's a bit of a kick to the nuts.

15. iPhone guru macrumors member

I had the original iPhone back in 07 and was very happy with the battery life. Last year I did the upgrade to the 3G and suddenly my battery life was much shorter since I was using 3G data and GPS a lot. I'm using the app B.iCycle - GPS cycling computer a lot and because of the combination of GPS, 3G and display always on this is good test for battery life.

Since I have the 3GS now I'm happy again. With the 3G I could get about 3 hours B.iCycle use now I can get about 4.5 hours.