Anyone else notice that the i7 17" mbps have a MUCH louder speaker?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjahshik32, Apr 15, 2010.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Thats one of the first things I've noticed is that the speakers are MUCH louder than the previous gen. I only have to keep the volume at around 40%.

Also there is no more crackling, pop coming from the speakers at the very highest volume.

2. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

yep. 17" i7 is at least twice as loud as my girlfriend's 15" C2D from 2009 :D

3. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Lol, I appreciate the post but I'm comparing the previous gen 17" as to the i7 17" in speaker volume/quality.

I wonder if the i7 17" gotten new/different speakers? Its much louder/clearer and no crackling noises whatsoever at full volume.

4. mgacam2 macrumors regular

mgacam2

If you guys notice the new specs say on the apple site that macbook pros now contain speaker and subwoofer system so i think that might have something to do with it. Was at the apple store today and checked it out and its definitely louder.

5. kayloh20 macrumors regular

Ahh subwoofer. That would explain the richer deepness I hear. Its really nice :).

6. jpefjr macrumors regular

jpefjr

7. kayloh20 macrumors regular

Oh. Then it just must be better units or whatever.

8. shoppy macrumors 6502a

The 17" have always had louder speakers since the day of the good old G4. They are amazing whilst sat in a hotel room watching a film.

9. BaronStein macrumors regular

I think it is true. There is more space for speakers on 17". My dad's 2008 17" laptop used to have very good sound too.

10. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Gonna chime in. I haven't come across an Apple laptop <17" that had good speakers. The 17" just sounds..almost surround.

11. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

12. Fisketryne macrumors newbie

Almost OT, but has anyone listened to the 15" speakers. Hoping they have improved as well.

13. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Yes I'm curious as well... i think i read someplace that both of the iX models have new speaker enclosures - so hopefully the 15" has the same boost in audio!

14. Z1NX macrumors member

Yeah i'm hoping the 15" speakers have improved too. Can anyone comment on this?

15. auero macrumors 65816

The speakers are much louder on the 17". I actually remember I had a REV A 15" macbook pro and then later bought a rev B (for the battery I believe? don't remember) Anyway, when i got the new one the speakers were deff lower. I even took it to the store for them to listen and to compare because I thought they were defective. Very odd. I'm not sure how the new models are. I tried comparing the 17 to the 15 in the store but it was difficult as I didn't want to be stared at.

16. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

From iFixit:

link

Seems like the changes the position of things, not really the hardware itself. The 17" MBP has always had much better speakers partially due to the extra space and the allotment of features to more pricey models.

17. Brianmj macrumors newbie

I went to an Apple store last night. There is a noticeable difference in the max volume between the 15" and 17" with the former being somewhat weaker.

18. Amnak macrumors 6502

Yes they have... completely amazing they get so loud at three notches before max that sometimes I turn it down and I listen to music really loud. Of course every one is different but Im pretty sure they kick other laptops butt.

19. Mark Booth macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

It's not just the 17" that has gained a louder speaker volume level. My new 15" Core i7 puts out a much louder speaker volume compared to my 3-year old C2D. The difference is actually quite impressive.

Not saying the 17" isn't louder yet. But the 15" is plenty loud for me.

Mark