Anyone else notice this...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacBreezy, Oct 15, 2012.

1. MacBreezy macrumors regular

I got the iPad when it came out last year and also just recently bought the iPhone 5. I just noticed today when I got my iPad out to watch some game film from the weekend that I hadn't used it much lately. The more I thought about it I realized that I haven't been using it much at all. I've been using my iPhone for almost everything. Anyone else notice your not going to your iPad as much as you used to? I know it's a new device and I'm intrigued by it but I think it's more than just that. I think with the added screen size and speed of the iphone 5, it is quickly replacing my iPad as my "go to" device while I'm at home. Looks like for the near future I'll only be using my iPad for film review and movies. Anyone else notice this at all?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No, its just you never needed an iPad. People discover this eventually. They buy X item because of the hype just to later realize that, they never really needed it in the first place.

I would like to have an iPad, but it is pointless because I have a MacBook and iPhone. So, I have barely an need for one. Why waste money?

3. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

I've always used the iPhone (4s) over the iPad when I fall into my chair before thinking to grab the iPad. For most stuff, the phone will do just fine. The iPad *technically* belongs to my wife since I got it for her for her b-day but we both use it.

...if the iPhone/ipod touch gets any bigger, and the iPad mini comes out at a small size, we may have some legit overlap lol.

4. wlossw macrumors 6502a

wlossw

I had the same experience re: my iPad... but in my case the culprit was my rMBP... my iPad use had already dropped considerably... now with the iphone 5... I haven't picked up my iPad in over 2 weeks.:eek:

5. RTbar macrumors regular

nope, the iphone is still very small, its a good phone but not really a tablet replacement at all while at home.

6. MacBreezy thread starter macrumors regular

I do need the iPad as its much better for watching movies and video and much easier to keep with me than a lap top. I have an iMac so the iPad stays downstairs with me most of the time while the iMac is upstairs in my home office. The iPad for sure has a very important use for me. I'm just finding that I'm not using it as much at home as I used to.

7. Edge1978 macrumors 6502

I always use my iPad for Netflix and for the occasional twitter/Facebook check. Everything else is done on my iPhone

8. nparmelee macrumors 6502

Nope, still use my iPad a whole bunch. I have a wifi iPad so when I'm out and need to look something up, then I use my iPhone, but if I have wifi, I prefer my iPad.

9. Beenblacklisted macrumors 6502

Beenblacklisted

10. seeharrison macrumors regular

seeharrison

My iPad is my go to device for media consumption and basic internet browsing. It's normally on my nightstand as I use it for my nighttime reading and morning news. I have noticed that my iPad doesn't leave the house as often unless I'm going on a trip.

11. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

I watched Dexter last night on my iPhone instead of my iPad and the new 4" screen is great.

12. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I use my iPhone quite a bit but if I'm at home I much prefer surfing and watching Netflix via the iPad. Love the iPhone screen but it's much easier to use the bigger one ;)

13. sdyoyo macrumors member

I still use my iPad surfing while sitting in bed.

14. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

While I'm finding I'm using my iPhone 5 more than my 4S, I'd still I'm still using my iPad about as much as I did before.

15. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

Perhaps for youthful eyes. :p

I use the phone when out and about. Other than that, I prefer to use my iPad for consumption and simple tasks.

Lol . . . I wish I could use the phone more often.

16. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a

my iPad is the designated Netflix/Hulu workhorse.. iPhone does everything else

17. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

technically it belongs to you, she's just borrowing it... permanently.
    But I don't think I would use the iPad for much, I have an iPhone 5 which is even faster than the newest iPad and it doesn't take a lot of effort for me to scroll down a page. Not worth the $649 they're charging

18. richmds macrumors regular

Also think of it this way, you have one pair of eyes and are able to use one device at a time.
    Iphone 5 is new and naturally your time is spent on it for now. I find I have used iPad slightly less, but I have not completely abandoned it.

19. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

This. I actually took back my iPad and got a MacBook instead...

Then again, I didn't wanna have a new iPad and still be toting around my 6 yr old Dell :cool:

20. redman042 macrumors 68020

iPad vs iPhone use is an individual thing.

My wife and I both have both devices. I use both my phone and my iPad a ton. I always prefer my iPad for reading websites and books, playing games, etc. when it is available and convenient. The bigger screen cannot be beat. But if I'm out and about and didn't bring my iPad, the phone does the job just fine.

My wife, on the other hand, rarely uses her iPad. She loves using her phone, is very comfortable typing with one thumb, and sticks with apps like Facebook where a tablet just isn't necessary. When she does use her iPad, it's for streaming movies and little else.

Each person should look at their own preferences and usage patterns before pulling the trigger on an iPad.

21. zman98 macrumors member

iPad for reading and watching movies. Phone for everything else.

22. Ivabign macrumors 6502

Ivabign

My white iPad 32gb wifi doesn't get much love in recent months - but I wouldn't give it up - it has its uses.

23. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

The iPad is more a novelty item in my opinion. Without a full keyboard, processing power, and supporting peripherals (i.e. USB, cd/dvd drive) of a full-on laptop, it sort of falls in that grey area between smartphone and computer, doing neither of the two very well if at all.

It's as if they took the extra "perks" of a smartphone and did a spinoff device just for those extra-curricular activities and gave it a bigger screen ;) There really is no "primary purpose" of an iPad except to do things that the iPhone already does but do it with a larger viewing area.

I bit on the idea though. At the time, my wife didn't have *any* experience with an iDevice or iOS. Being a teacher in the tech field (utilizing ALL mac machines), I forecasted her having to one day teach intro to <insert adobe suite application name and a few others here> not on the giant and awesome imacs in the lab, but rather on iOS.

I also knew there was a bit more of a learning curve for her (versus me) when we got our Android phones so I wanted her to have some exposure to iOS before I handed down my 4s to her.

I stand by my decision and still think it's great for her to have an iPad (and now an iPhone) being that we're both in the tech field -- her more on the Mac side, me on the PC side.

And for what it's worth, a few months after I got her a new iPad, her department had a meeting to discuss how to implement the iPad in the classroom and then went out and bought X ipads to distribute to faculty. Though I was a bit annoyed since I had just bought one for her (she could have gotten an ipad 2 from work but passed it to someone else cause that's how she is), I see it as a sign that my foresight was indeed correct.

24. smotheredhope macrumors regular

You are just silly.

25. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I use my iPad for taking notes in class and recording lectures (audio)... for everything else, there's my 13in MBA, 27in iMac, or iPhone (4S but soon to be 5!).

I also use it as a pseudo dual-monitor setup for when I'm not at home (like at a friend's place or library). iPad has a PDF or website up as a reference whilst typing on my MBA.

But yes, unless you lay down the specifics, a smartphone and laptop can easily cannibalize your tablet usage.