Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Interesting that both phones have very similar looking cameras (with protruding rings) and now Sony is creating this add-on. While you can supposedly add the lens to any phone, it looks as though it was designed for the Xperia AND the iPhone 6.

Attachments

• Camera.jpg
    Camera.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 174

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
Supposedly apple filed a patent for a removable camera lens.

Maybe it means something, maybe it doesn't.

We'll see.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Good catch. I also think Apple has a deal with Sony and uses their sensors in the iPhone :) Makes perfect sense if this turns out to be true.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
I really, really doubt I'd personally use such a lens on my PHONE but hey.. I'm sure some people would.

:apple:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Think you guys are over thinking this. You have seen the iPod Touch right?

ipod-camera-640x426.jpg

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2013
Central California

Yes, I realize that.
But... the timing of the Xperia Z3, the Sony lens system and the iPhone 6 camera redesign could be coincedental, or Sony and Apple may have worked together on this whole thing. Can't say for sure. Just weird timing.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010

Yes and it's hideous. What's next, a protruding flash and logic board indentation? I would rather have a larger battery with a thickness resembling the iPhone 4.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Yes and it's hideous. What's next, a protruding flash and logic board indentation? I would rather have a larger battery with a thickness resembling the iPhone 4.

I agree with you. Just pointing out of the obvious. It would still be a very think phone if the it was the depth of the camera lens (so it was flush) and that could give a few hundred more mAh if dedicated to the battery.

Battery life is pretty much going to be my deciding factor on the iPhone 6.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
I agree with you. Just pointing out of the obvious. It would still be a very think phone if the it was the depth of the camera lens (so it was flush) and that could give a few hundred more mAh if dedicated to the battery.

Battery life is pretty much going to be my deciding factor on the iPhone 6.

Yup, waiting to see if I want the 4.7 or 5.5 inch model if the 5.5 has better specs. I'm not a fan of large phones though. We will find out next Tuesday :)

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Interesting that both phones have very similar looking cameras (with protruding rings) and now Sony is creating this add-on. While you can supposedly add the lens to any phone, it looks as though it was designed for the Xperia AND the iPhone 6.

Do you realize the Sony attachment system isn't an adapter on the existing lens, but just a clip on lens and sensor system connected to you phone in another way? I have the Sony QX100 and it's just a clip on and it connect to my iPhone (and Android phones) with an app via WiFi.

wilky76

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2013
Wigan
Not forgetting the cheaper QX10 aswell plus Kodak's PIXPRO SL10, and i think Sony is about to update the original QX10 & QX100 sometime this year, also the picture above is the latest one to rumored to launch at IFA the QX1 that can takes lenses.

Last edited:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I can certainly tell you that I wouldn't want anything to do with those lenses unless I had some level of assurance that they would be compatible with a couple generations of the phone, at the very least.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Happy with my Nikon lenses thanks. Sticking a large lense on a tiny sensor is ridiculous IMO.
iPhones are for snaps, DSLR's are for pictures.

Still buying it though!

makerleone

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2014
USA
Now we are just hoping no one is damn sure about this but i just hope that apple and sony will had work together so i think we can get a better camera performance.:)

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I dot care how the lens looks or what it looks similar to, I care about performance of the hardware and features of the software. (I don't know if these protruding lenses bother me, will have to see in person).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.