Anyone else notice this?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lloydbm41, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Interesting that both phones have very similar looking cameras (with protruding rings) and now Sony is creating this add-on. While you can supposedly add the lens to any phone, it looks as though it was designed for the Xperia AND the iPhone 6.

Attached Files:

2. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

Supposedly apple filed a patent for a removable camera lens.

Maybe it means something, maybe it doesn't.

We'll see.

3. troop231 macrumors 603

Good catch. I also think Apple has a deal with Sony and uses their sensors in the iPhone :) Makes perfect sense if this turns out to be true.

4. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I really, really doubt I'd personally use such a lens on my PHONE but hey.. I'm sure some people would.

:apple:

5. cynics macrumors G4

Think you guys are over thinking this. You have seen the iPod Touch right?

[​IMG]

6. Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Yes, I realize that.
    But... the timing of the Xperia Z3, the Sony lens system and the iPhone 6 camera redesign could be coincedental, or Sony and Apple may have worked together on this whole thing. Can't say for sure. Just weird timing.

7. troop231 macrumors 603

Yes and it's hideous. What's next, a protruding flash and logic board indentation? I would rather have a larger battery with a thickness resembling the iPhone 4.

8. cynics macrumors G4

I agree with you. Just pointing out of the obvious. It would still be a very think phone if the it was the depth of the camera lens (so it was flush) and that could give a few hundred more mAh if dedicated to the battery.

Battery life is pretty much going to be my deciding factor on the iPhone 6.

9. troop231 macrumors 603

Yup, waiting to see if I want the 4.7 or 5.5 inch model if the 5.5 has better specs. I'm not a fan of large phones though. We will find out next Tuesday :)

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Do you realize the Sony attachment system isn't an adapter on the existing lens, but just a clip on lens and sensor system connected to you phone in another way? I have the Sony QX100 and it's just a clip on and it connect to my iPhone (and Android phones) with an app via WiFi.

11. wilky76, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014

wilky76 macrumors regular

wilky76

Not forgetting the cheaper QX10 aswell plus Kodak's PIXPRO SL10, and i think Sony is about to update the original QX10 & QX100 sometime this year, also the picture above is the latest one to rumored to launch at IFA the QX1 that can takes lenses.

12. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I can certainly tell you that I wouldn't want anything to do with those lenses unless I had some level of assurance that they would be compatible with a couple generations of the phone, at the very least.

13. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Happy with my Nikon lenses thanks. Sticking a large lense on a tiny sensor is ridiculous IMO.
    iPhones are for snaps, DSLR's are for pictures.

Still buying it though!

14. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I wonder if safari is any snappier on the xperia... ;)

15. makerleone macrumors regular

makerleone

Now we are just hoping no one is damn sure about this but i just hope that apple and sony will had work together so i think we can get a better camera performance.:)

16. I7guy macrumors G5

I dot care how the lens looks or what it looks similar to, I care about performance of the hardware and features of the software. (I don't know if these protruding lenses bother me, will have to see in person).