Anyone else noticing iPhone4 sudden battery drainage?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joesnewmatch, Apr 11, 2012.

1. joesnewmatch macrumors member

2-3 days ago, my iPhone went forom 100% to 50% by lunchtime -- and I barely touched it. The next day, I was at 9% by lunch time. Last night I reset to factory specs, and I'm still having issues.

The weird thing is that my partner's iPhone4 is doing the exact same thing.

He just got back from a meeting, and everyone at the other office -- with an old iPhone4 -- is having the same problem.

Is this a battery issue? A software issue? A visus issue?

I've already got an Apple Store appointment for tomorrow, but I'm starting to wonder. :confused:

2. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Were you in a poor reception location during the time of high drain? I have seen increased battery drain if the phone is having trouble holding a signal.

3. joesnewmatch thread starter macrumors member

Nope, experiencing it all over South Florida, with both high-speed WiFi and widely available 3G access. If it was me, I'd call it a fluke, but the fact that others are experiencing this is troubling.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It has to be a signal issue, if you're all experiencing it.

do this: Put it in airplane mode and see if it changes.

5. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I'm experiencing this so badly in London that I've just booked an appointment at the Genius Bar.

6. joesnewmatch thread starter macrumors member

I'll mention something else -- last night I did a full backup on my MacBookPro. I did this to do the reset, and make sure that everything is saved if I end up getting a swap. This was also recommended by apple care.

When I started teh backup process, my laptop was fully charged. I let everything run, and went to bed. In the morning, my phone was 50% charged, and my laptop was empty.

The phone sucked all the juice out of my laptop's battery, and still wasn't full in the morning!

I should also note that my phone is running super hot.

7. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Should have had ur laptop plugged in overnight. It's a signal issue FOR SURE. your phone (for whatever reason) is looking for a cell signal constantly and draining the battery in the process. It happened to me and a colleague in the same office over about 2 days. We both had super fast battery drains that were just about identical on both 4S's. Weird thing in our situation was that he had Verizon, me AT&T. It stopped after 2 days and everything back to normal. Since its happening to all the people in ur office, u are just going to waste time going to a genius bar appt. nothing is wrong with the phone. Just give it a few more days and it should go back to normal.

8. wickerman1893 macrumors 6502

wickerman1893

My 4 was doing that horribly right before I got rid of it yesterday. The signal was just fine too but I would find myself at 20% at 5:00pm with normal usage during the day. It would usually be around 45%. Switched over to the Lumia 900 yesterday though. 3x better than my old iPhone 4

9. joesnewmatch thread starter macrumors member

Genius said nothing wrong with hardware, it's the OS. Somehow my latest version configured itself wrong. iTunes reset just reloads problem. Solution is to perform iCloud backup, then erase and reset hardware--without iTunes sync. Instead iCloud will repopulate your info. I'm currently doing the iCloud backup, about 4 hours more to go. . .

10. duinker macrumors newbie

iPhone draining MacBook Pro

I have the same issue. My iPhone 4 was working fine, then suddenly the battery was completely dead three days in a row...no wifi, no calendar, no pushing, no notifications, iCloud -nothing- just sitting on the table. I charged it overnight and each morning it did not even have enough power to start up - just a black screen.
    I called Apple and they suggested I backup my iPhone, update the software and do a restore. I connected my iPhone to my Mac Book Pro and proceeded. The Mac Book was completely dead in the morning and the iPhone battery problem still persists.
    Any thoughts? Is this a hardware issue or a software issue? Has anyone heard anything from Apple?
    I'm wondering if replacing the battery (while still under Apple Care) will fix this.

11. joesnewmatch thread starter macrumors member

Still having the same (worse) battery issues. Have another appointment tonight, and hoping to get a replacement phone under apple care.

12. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

This is why I think it is a signal issue in your area. Both phones, all of a sudden, draining quickly tell me it is not a device problem but more like an "environment" problem.

13. watchthisspace macrumors 6502a

Have you installed any new Apps lately? Maybe one is sitting there pinging a server for push updates or even GPS till the point your phone is running out of juice?

14. joesnewmatch thread starter macrumors member

Very possible. I've downloaded a ton of apps for my iPad, but the genius seemed to think it was OS related. I should know more tonight. Other than this, I've never had a single iPhone problem in all the years I've had them, so I'm not complaining--I just need a working phone! :D

15. OSUengineer macrumors member

One thing is lithium plymer batteries can degrade a lot over time and lose a lot of their capacity. Generic replacements are about $5!

16. joesnewmatch thread starter macrumors member

Replaced. Using iCloud going forward. The tether has been fully cut...

17. dpiroli3 macrumors newbie

iPhone battery drain solution

Hello experienced the same problem with my 4s, disabled everything systematically which nothing helped. I tried rebooting and restoring the phone but my battery would not even last a whole day, after 8 hours of standby id be below 50%. The solution is to 1. turn you phone off, 2. remove 2 screws by usb connector 3. remove the back, 4. remove 2 screws holding battery connector down, 5. disconnect the battery 6. wait 5 minutes, 7. reconnect the battery and complete the steps in reverse order to put back together, 8. turn phone back on and enjoy the battery life.

18. ctc799 macrumors member

19. Mystic Eddy macrumors regular

Having a similar issue in the UK too. I've left my phone alone apart from a 2 minute phone call and sending approx 40 texts. It's gone down over the course of 13 hours from 75% to 23%. Last time it did this, I had 'phantom' usage and had to activate 3G and data for five minutes to get it to stop counting up when the phone was in standby. This time, the counter is behaving normally but the battery drain has been excessive over the past 5 days or so.

20. xxcysxx macrumors 6502

i had this problem too and made a post about it a few days ago. someone suggested to do a full cycle on the battery and it still doesn't work. my battery is draining noticeably faster, and my day to day usage pattern didn't change any at all.

does the battery need a yearly maintenance? like a replace?

21. dpiroli3 macrumors newbie

guys disconnecting the battery did it for me, i tried all suggestions on the web and none of them worked. i think it had something to do with the gmail app or the calendar, only disconnecting the power helped it. its still working here