Anyone else on Verizon not upgrading to iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by apb89, Aug 29, 2012.

1. apb89 macrumors regular

I have unlimited data and I think I would rather use my 4s with unlimited data than have a crappy ceiling of data usage. Really hate what the cellular industry is doing by phasing out unlimited.

2. polotska macrumors 6502

If the iPhone 5 has LTE (as expected), I’m upgrading.

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'm not eligible for an upgrade until June, and I don't have $200+ to spend on one when my 4S is still kicking pretty well. I'm also hoping to find some prepaid option after my contract is up because I just don't use the call/text features that much.

4. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Im on the fence about what I'm going to do. I want to keep my unlimited but also getting tired of the slow 3g i have with Verizon i have a iPhone 4 (would the 4s be any faster).

I do tend to be below 2GB most months, but from time to time have used up to 3gb. So to keep my unlimited i would need to buy the phone outright.

Just not sure what to do, it will be until about January before i can save up the $ to buy the iPhone 5 outright.

5. formerpc macrumors 6502

I'm not upgrading. I'm leaving.. going to Sprint where I can have a subsidized phone AND unlimited data, with LTE coming in the fairly-near-future.

6. nostresshere macrumors 68030

There are thousands that will stay with their perfectly fine I-4s or i-4

There are thousands that can not wait to get to I-5

Just how it is.

7. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Unfortunately, the iPhone 4S will not help improve 3G speeds on Verizon

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

IMO Verizon is gearing up to drop the unlimited plan alltogether for EVERYONE. They are likely waiting for everyone on contract with the unlimited plan to run out of contract. So, if my theory is correct, on about 1.5 years time, said plan will be gone anyway.

9. gertruded macrumors regular

I am not upgrading. I will keep my unlimited with my iphone 4 Verizon until it is not functional and then will go back to a prepaid phone and rely on my yi-fi ipad for internet.

Verizon's new packages are just absurdly expensive.

10. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I swapped yesterday from an AT&T iPhone 4S to Verizon, <3 LTE... I went with a Galaxy S3 however.

11. trailbikerider macrumors newbie

Sticking with my 4 for a while as well, I've had it since May of last year, and so far it's still holding up great; plus the unlimited data is a bonus.

12. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

The 4S is not any faster. You will use a bit more data on 4G but an occasional $10 overage should be less over a two year span than buying the phone outright. The math should work in your favor to just upgrade.

13. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

im still on my thunderbolt with unlimited data and I tether upwards of 20gb per month I won't be getting an iphone 5 until i can find one used for a reasonable price. no way I'm ever giving up unl data on vzw

----------

a bit more data???? Have you used an LTE phone yet? (didn't think so)

14. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

I've got some experience. ;)

You are not an average user. You are the reason everyone else is losing their unlimited data. You'll also be the reason they start throttling. So, thanks for that. :rolleyes:

15. PlanB395 macrumors newbie

I don't have an upgrade until June 2013 so I will be keeping my 4s on Verizon. Also I'm not sure the 5 will be worth it. I will just wait for the 5s.

16. irDigital0l Guest

as long as my iphone 4 still works...why dish out a couple hundred bucks?

dont see the point in upgrading every year if you don't mind missing a few new features and gimmicks

17. honeygirl macrumors member

yes, If it does, I will do.

18. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

I'm not. Once my ETF is low enough I'll be canceling and staying with AT&T. My line on AT&T has been contract free since May and I'll be using that to get the new phone.

19. NightHawkPW macrumors newbie

NightHawkPW

My contract is up on October 5th. I might have to go with Sprint because of this.

20. junglesnake macrumors 6502

junglesnake

I have 3 unlimited lines so I'm going to add a line and then put the new iPhone on my unlimited line. Yes I'll have an extra line but I will also be able to keep all my features! That's if the new iPhone is even appealing when it comes out. The new nexus is due around the same time and you still have the gs3 which I have and it's a great phone. So there will be plenty of options.

21. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I'm not but will eventually. My contract isn't due until next summer. That combined with no LTE in my area makes it largely pointless to pay in contract money for the 5. Next year with LTE in my area I will give up unlimited and upgrade to the 5S. I use around 1.5GB's and my wife 500MB's. My step-son has been wanting one for a while but I have refused due to the $30 monthly data. But with the shared plans it makes it a little easier to swallow.

22. Kelly682 macrumors regular

I plan on upgrading to the upcoming iPhone. I'm using a 2 year old HTC Incredible. Its insanely slow. I love my unlimited data though. I did check my data usage for the past 6 months. I barely hit 1GB. Probably because my phone is so damn slow.

I'm assuming (which I know I shouldn't) that the new iPhone will have LTE. That scares me in a way. I've been trying to figure out what data package I should get. I'm leaning towards the 4GB, since Im barely using 1GB now, but then again I want to be safe and not have any overage charges. Ugh Damn version stealing my unlimited... I'm going to miss it. :(

I've had an early upgrade since July, and my contract is up in November. Not switching to AT&T, service where I live is horrible. Sprint isnt that popular around here either. All my friends and family have verizon. I'm just going to stick with it and suck it up.

23. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

Not on corporate plans though :p I just got on my company's (Verizon) plan a month before the 4S came out and was able to get unlimited everything (including data). Even when I upgrade to the New iPhone, i'll still have unlimited data with 4G :cool:

24. macMD macrumors 6502

macMD

I will be upgrading and pre-ordering when its announced. As for unlimited data vs ceiling caps. I have yet to see my data usage reach the point where its costing me more than it did before. LTE is worth it on Verizon and by the time Sprint has a fully built LTE network, well that will be 2015 or later at best. No cash, just rolling out now. I will be happy to see users go there and free up space on Verizon.

25. takeshi74, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012

takeshi74 macrumors 601

Of course there are. Even if you think you're the only one not doing so consider the odds given their subscriber base.

Vote with your dollars then. Or is there something else that you hate more that's keeping you with Verizon?

Depends on situation as pointed out in nearly every thread on the Share Everything plans.

Faster data != more usage. The two are entirely different things. The former may make the latter more likely but it's not guaranteed as people who parrot this meme make it out to be,