Anyone else order a new iMac in Dec. hoping to write it off on 2012 taxes?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MikeTheVike, Jan 4, 2013.

1. MikeTheVike macrumors regular

Just found out I'm screwed because Apple doesn't charge the credit card until it ships and mine still hasn't shipped. So now I won't be able to write it off my 2012 taxes. I stopped freelancing last year, so I won't be able to write it off this year.

Now I don't know what to do. I've been using a work-provided Macbook Pro for work and it seems like I rarely use my home computer (which the iMac would be replacing). The money isn't an issue, I'm just worried I will hardly use the damn thing and I might as well wait until a later date to purchase one.

Anyone else going through this?

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

I'd recommend you ask a tax advisor and not a web forum for apple hardware.

3. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

4. MikeTheVike thread starter macrumors regular

I already talked to my accountant, thus the post complaining about my situation.

----------

Unfortunately I'm not freelancing this year, so I won't have any "business" taxes to write it off. My current work is at a company.

5. patricem macrumors 6502

patricem

I thought about trying to get one under the 2012 wire for a write-off, but didn't end up doing this. I didn't realize Apple waited to charge the account... so now I am glad I didn't. It sounds to me like you aren't really wanting the new Imac anyway, and without the write-off, it's not worth it to you. I'd say return and wait. You want to be happy with your purchase.

6. vladfein macrumors regular

I would look for another accountant :)

7. Ambulater macrumors member

You should still be able to take at least a partial deduction in 2013 even if you're not free lancing. All you have to do is show that you use it for certain tax deductible uses like monitoring and managing investments. You also have to estimate the percentage of time you use it for these types of functions. Pretty much everyone (at least everyone with the means to buy a Mac) has at least one simple investment, an interest bearing savings account. Most probably also have a 401K or 403B as well. If you go online to manage these you should qualify for at least a partial deduction. There may be other uses that qualify as well. Definitely worth talking to the accountant about.

8. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

If you make enough money to be getting hit by the higher taxes, either the PPACA or the fiscal cliff adjustments you'd prefer a 2013 write-off against the higher tax rates.

Consider yourself lucky that the expense was pushed to 2013.

9. ihaveneverknown macrumors member

Read the tax code mate. It's when the item is 'put into use' not when it's charged or purchased.