Anyone else paying retail? Which carrier?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Stayfly2407, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Stayfly2407 macrumors 6502

Stayfly2407

I don't have time for contracts, I work like everyone else and don't need someone telling me when I can upgrade so I just pay retail every year. I have Verizon, everyone is saying it'll be $100 premium price more than last year, what do you think? If so, $749 for 16g? Didn't that use to be 32g price? Oh we'll, I got $750 waiting for next month, which one are you getting?

2. blcfla macrumors regular

I've been buying phones unsubsidized for last few years mostly just to keep my unlimited data, if I snag one it would be for Verizon, did it last year for the 5S. Waiting to see the details before I decide what I'm gonna do.

Hope it doesn't go to 749$ !

3. ruler22 macrumors member

I might be... my only issue is that I'll be over in the UK during that time, so:

A) I have to make sure the phone sold there supports the networks back in the states if I buy one there, rather than wait until November when I'm back in the states (with the 5S, the US version supports all US networks basically, and most UK ones; but the UK one didn't really support much of the US networks)

B) It'll be a lot more expensive to buy there than in the states, probably over 1000 USD...

I've been exploring options to try to make this cheaper for me, not sure what I'm going to do at the moment, I just know I really don't want my S3 any longer...

4. bmms8 macrumors 68020

I plan on getting it full retail. This will be the first time i do this. Can you guys confirm full retail will be available launch day via the apple site?

Also, the law is that the Verizon phones must be unlocked if paying full retail right? I have ATT. Thanks!

5. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Yup. TMobile USA. get the phone unlocked after 30 days and I am done. I dont wait for the unlocked phones as I like to buy on day 1 (or close). But TMo unlocks their phones easily so its not an issue.

6. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

4.7" will be the same price. Flagships are almost always $199. No way Apple is entering the market with a base model that's $100 more.

I'm paying full retail on AT&T - biggest screen, most storage (most expensive) available.

I just don't borrow money, not even interest free.

7. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

I'll pay retail again. But I'll be waiting for an "s" version next summer. Verizon.

8. nostresshere, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2014

nostresshere macrumors 68030

Other than the possible need for unlocked, why do people have such an emotional problem with contracts? Or the NEXT plan?

And "time for contracts"?

I find most people that are against any contract/deal/etc do it for purely emotional reasons, not logic.

(again, those that need unlocked for intl travel are different)

9. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Actually, Verizon phones with LTE must be unlocked regardless of contract status per Verizon's agreement with FCC on licensing the 700MHz band.

10. bmms8 macrumors 68020

Great thanks! Hope the Verizon model will be available launch day at full retail through apples site.

Does anyone know if full retain models were available launch day last year?

11. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

The full retail models were available on November 22, 2013.

On another note, I'll be getting a full retail, or the t-mobile version (if I decide I don't want to wait 2 months for the sim-free. Just toss the sim in the trash) and use it on AT&T.

12. bmms8 macrumors 68020

Thanks for the update. So basically Tmo will come unlocked as well right?

13. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

The t-mobile model that you buy straight from apple will come unlocked.
    Since you are using AT&T, which is GSM carrier, you should have no problem with the T-mobile version, as it is GSM as well.

Buy the t-mobile version, and just throw that sim away and put yours in.
    You pay full retail for the t-mobile, so yes, it comes unlocked when bought straight from apple.

14. bmms8 macrumors 68020

Great thanks!:)

15. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

16. sixxmum macrumors 6502a

sixxmum

NEXT plan is exactly the same cost as buying retail unless you trade it in rather than paying it off. You can use NEXT and pay off in full after two months and then you are "off contract."

17. eoblaed macrumors 68000

eoblaed

I contract with AT&T and keep my unlimited data. Does Verizon not let you do that?

So, every other year I pay retail, the in-between years I get the discount. Last year I paid retail for my 5S, so this year will be a discount year.

18. stretch80, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2014

stretch80 macrumors regular

stretch80

I know this thread is about paying full retail but I did not see a thread about doing early upgrades. I have AT&T for my service. I have bought on launch day since iPhone 4. But I noticed this year it says I'm eligible for an early upgrade on 9-21. Early upgrades are the route I go. But I'm curious if the date will change to allow me to buy it on 9-19 like in years past. Anybody with ideas?

19. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I don't understand the "no time for contracts" sentiment, especially with Verizon who doesn't drop your bill when out of contract.

Why not just enter a contract every other year? Buy the phone subsidized one year, out of pocket next. You save money, and if you ever want to pay an ETF, it's basically a wash. I don't see the downisde?

20. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Apple has never sold Verizon device-only iPhones for full retail on their website. You'd have to visit a retail location for that.

Verizon does have BYOD discounts now ($25/mo per line on 10GB or higher plans). It's just not automatic. You have to manually apply it to your account. That actually ends up cheaper than 2-year contract subsidized.

2-year contract
    $25/mo*24 + $199 upfront + $30 upgrade fee = $829

buy outright
    $649

EDGE
    $32.50/mo*20 = $650

If you've got 4 devices on the account, that's a savings of $600-720 depending on whether you can get the upgrade fee waived.

21. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I'm paying full price retail no contract 5.5" 32GB; T-Mobile.

22. travis64 macrumors 6502a

travis64

Going to get 32gb 5.5in no contract verizon and use it on tmobile $30 month plan

23. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

More than likely, I will. I’m with AT&T. I am still waiting to see which of the rumors are true - what devices will actually be available shortly after the announcement - given the rumors that the 5.5 iPhone 6 may not be ready right away, I may wait. Also waiting to see what the price points are. I am having a hard time accepting the fact that Apple may jack the prices up this time around, but we will know in just over a week.

24. moonpaulsj macrumors newbie

Where's the best place to buy the no-contract version? I need to buy three no contract iPhone 6 so I probably need to visit more than one store.

Is Apple store the best bet? Last year they limited the sale to 2 per person. Does walmart or t-mobile store stock no-contract phones on launch date?

25. JOSE891 macrumors 6502a

JOSE891

Why? Just for a few minor improvements? Your argument is invalid.