Anyone else paying retail? Which carrier?

Stayfly2407

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2011
VA
I don't have time for contracts, I work like everyone else and don't need someone telling me when I can upgrade so I just pay retail every year. I have Verizon, everyone is saying it'll be $100 premium price more than last year, what do you think? If so, $749 for 16g? Didn't that use to be 32g price? Oh we'll, I got $750 waiting for next month, which one are you getting?

blcfla

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2013
I've been buying phones unsubsidized for last few years mostly just to keep my unlimited data, if I snag one it would be for Verizon, did it last year for the 5S. Waiting to see the details before I decide what I'm gonna do.

Hope it doesn't go to 749$ !

ruler22

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2010
PA
I might be... my only issue is that I'll be over in the UK during that time, so:

A) I have to make sure the phone sold there supports the networks back in the states if I buy one there, rather than wait until November when I'm back in the states (with the 5S, the US version supports all US networks basically, and most UK ones; but the UK one didn't really support much of the US networks)

B) It'll be a lot more expensive to buy there than in the states, probably over 1000 USD...

I've been exploring options to try to make this cheaper for me, not sure what I'm going to do at the moment, I just know I really don't want my S3 any longer...

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
I plan on getting it full retail. This will be the first time i do this. Can you guys confirm full retail will be available launch day via the apple site?

Also, the law is that the Verizon phones must be unlocked if paying full retail right? I have ATT. Thanks!

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown
Yup. TMobile USA. get the phone unlocked after 30 days and I am done. I dont wait for the unlocked phones as I like to buy on day 1 (or close). But TMo unlocks their phones easily so its not an issue.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
4.7" will be the same price. Flagships are almost always $199. No way Apple is entering the market with a base model that's $100 more.

I'm paying full retail on AT&T - biggest screen, most storage (most expensive) available.

I just don't borrow money, not even interest free.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
I don't have time for contracts, I work like everyone else and don't need someone telling me when I can upgrade so I just pay retail every year....
Other than the possible need for unlocked, why do people have such an emotional problem with contracts? Or the NEXT plan?

And "time for contracts"?

I find most people that are against any contract/deal/etc do it for purely emotional reasons, not logic.

(again, those that need unlocked for intl travel are different)

Last edited:

rui no onna

macrumors 604
Oct 25, 2013
Also, the law is that the Verizon phones must be unlocked if paying full retail right? I have ATT. Thanks!
Actually, Verizon phones with LTE must be unlocked regardless of contract status per Verizon's agreement with FCC on licensing the 700MHz band.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
Actually, Verizon phones with LTE must be unlocked regardless of contract status per Verizon's agreement with FCC on licensing the 700MHz band.
Great thanks! Hope the Verizon model will be available launch day at full retail through apples site.

Does anyone know if full retain models were available launch day last year?

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
Great thanks! Hope the Verizon model will be available launch day at full retail through apples site.

The full retail models were available on November 22, 2013.

On another note, I'll be getting a full retail, or the t-mobile version (if I decide I don't want to wait 2 months for the sim-free. Just toss the sim in the trash) and use it on AT&T.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
The full retail models were available on November 22, 2013.

On another note, I'll be getting a full retail, or the t-mobile version (if I decide I don't want to wait 2 months for the sim-free. Just toss the sim in the trash) and use it on AT&T.
Thanks for the update. So basically Tmo will come unlocked as well right?

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
Thanks for the update. So basically Tmo will come unlocked as well right?
The t-mobile model that you buy straight from apple will come unlocked.
Since you are using AT&T, which is GSM carrier, you should have no problem with the T-mobile version, as it is GSM as well.

Buy the t-mobile version, and just throw that sim away and put yours in.
You pay full retail for the t-mobile, so yes, it comes unlocked when bought straight from apple.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
The t-mobile model that you buy straight from apple will come unlocked.
Since you are using AT&T, which is GSM carrier, you should have no problem with the T-mobile version, as it is GSM as well.

Buy the t-mobile version, and just throw that sim away and put yours in.
You pay full retail for the t-mobile, so yes, it comes unlocked when bought straight from apple.
Great thanks!:)

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
I don't have time for contracts, I work like everyone else and don't need someone telling me when I can upgrade so I just pay retail every year..../QUOTE]

Other than the possible need for unlocked, why do people have such an emotional problem with contracts? Or the NEXT plan?

And "time for contracts"?

I find most people that are against any contract/deal/etc do it for purely emotional reasons, not logic.

(again, those that need unlocked for intl travel are different)
NEXT plan is a ripoff.
Contracts are expensive, and inflexible.

The only benefit of contracts is for people who can't eat the iPhone cost up front, and want to finance via contract. Some of us aren't in that kind of a financial bind.

sixxmum

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2010
NEXT plan is exactly the same cost as buying retail unless you trade it in rather than paying it off. You can use NEXT and pay off in full after two months and then you are "off contract."

eoblaed

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2010
I've been buying phones unsubsidized for last few years mostly just to keep my unlimited data, if I snag one it would be for Verizon, did it last year for the 5S. Waiting to see the details before I decide what I'm gonna do.

Hope it doesn't go to 749$ !
I contract with AT&T and keep my unlimited data. Does Verizon not let you do that?

So, every other year I pay retail, the in-between years I get the discount. Last year I paid retail for my 5S, so this year will be a discount year.

stretch80

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2012
Michigan
I know this thread is about paying full retail but I did not see a thread about doing early upgrades. I have AT&T for my service. I have bought on launch day since iPhone 4. But I noticed this year it says I'm eligible for an early upgrade on 9-21. Early upgrades are the route I go. But I'm curious if the date will change to allow me to buy it on 9-19 like in years past. Anybody with ideas?

Last edited:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I don't understand the "no time for contracts" sentiment, especially with Verizon who doesn't drop your bill when out of contract.

Why not just enter a contract every other year? Buy the phone subsidized one year, out of pocket next. You save money, and if you ever want to pay an ETF, it's basically a wash. I don't see the downisde?

rui no onna

macrumors 604
Oct 25, 2013

Apple has never sold Verizon device-only iPhones for full retail on their website. You'd have to visit a retail location for that.

I don't understand the "no time for contracts" sentiment, especially with Verizon who doesn't drop your bill when out of contract.

Why not just enter a contract every other year? Buy the phone subsidized one year, out of pocket next. You save money, and if you ever want to pay an ETF, it's basically a wash. I don't see the downisde?
Verizon does have BYOD discounts now ($25/mo per line on 10GB or higher plans). It's just not automatic. You have to manually apply it to your account. That actually ends up cheaper than 2-year contract subsidized.

2-year contract
$25/mo*24 + $199 upfront + $30 upgrade fee = $829

buy outright
$649

EDGE
$32.50/mo*20 = $650

If you've got 4 devices on the account, that's a savings of $600-720 depending on whether you can get the upgrade fee waived.

dwfaust

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2011
More than likely, I will. I’m with AT&T. I am still waiting to see which of the rumors are true - what devices will actually be available shortly after the announcement - given the rumors that the 5.5 iPhone 6 may not be ready right away, I may wait. Also waiting to see what the price points are. I am having a hard time accepting the fact that Apple may jack the prices up this time around, but we will know in just over a week.

moonpaulsj

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2014
Where's the best place to buy the no-contract version? I need to buy three no contract iPhone 6 so I probably need to visit more than one store.

Is Apple store the best bet? Last year they limited the sale to 2 per person. Does walmart or t-mobile store stock no-contract phones on launch date?