Anyone else planning to stick with the 4S for awhile longer?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mark Booth, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Mark Booth macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

I owned every model of iPhone from the very first to the iPhone 4S. I skipped the iPhone 5 due to iOS 6 and the loss of the legacy 30-pin connector. And, so far, I don't think there will be any features exclusive to the 5S that will give me cause to finally let go of my 2-year-old iPhone 4S.

My iPhone 4S is still in mint condition. I installed a new battery about a month ago and that brought battery performance back up to snuff. The volume control buttons were starting to act up (volume adjusting on its own) but a visit to an Apple Store genius fixed that. Functionally and physically, it's still like I have a brand new phone.

I might install iOS 7. I'll wait and see. But at this point, I think I'm going to go at least another year with my iPhone 4S. Anyone else?

Mark

2. HeyKatie macrumors 6502

I'll be sticking with my 4S until my contract is up in 6 months.

3. Bear macrumors G3

If you feel no need to upgrade, then don't you save some money andif something happens to your 4S, your can always get the current phone at the contract renewal price.

Based on how many apps are iOS6 or late rnow and the report that some developers will wind up making their apps iOS 7 (or later) with the first update to them after iOS 7 is out, you may wind up wanting to move to iOS 7 relatively quickly.

4. zetti macrumors 6502a

zetti

Definitely sticking with the 4S until next year, its my first iPhone so I am slightly sentimental and not wanting to part with it just yet.

5. Mark Booth thread starter macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

Yes, there are already a couple of apps that I'd like to use that require iOS 6 as a minimum. So, the odds are reasonably high that I'll install iOS 7. I'll very much miss the iOS 5 Apple Maps App that still uses Google's data. I regularly use Street View and have zero need for Flyover. Yes, I know about Google's own Maps App and, indeed, I've already got it installed. But there's no way for me to make Google's Maps App the "default" app when I click on a link in Safari or email.

Still, now that Apple's iOS 6+ Maps App has had more time to mature, it's highly likely I'll just pull the trigger on iOS 7 and live with the consequences.

Mark

6. hagr182 macrumors regular

at least until october 2014, when my contract expires

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I was planning on sticking with my 4S for quite a bit longer, then it got water damaged so I needed to replace it, and did so with an older iPhone. Now I'm waiting to see if the 5S/C is enough of an upgrade for me to want to go for it, otherwise I'm using apple's out of warranty replacement to get a new 4S and I'll keep that for a couple more years.

8. HeyKatie macrumors 6502

I'll be sticking with my 4S until my contract is up in 6 months.

9. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I feel the same way about my 4S.

The 4S is ALSO my first iPhone I have ever owned, so I think that's partly why It's harder to part with it. It's in mint condition, without a single scratch because I've babied it (port covers/screen covers/cases). Battery still gets me through a whole day, phone operates as fast as it did when I opened it. Runs as smooth as butter, without a single hiccup.

The 5 is great and the I'm sure the 5S will be great too, but I honestly am not sure if I want to upgrade yet. The 4S is the last iPhone with the 30 pin connector, the last iPhone with the 3.5" inch screen, and in my opinion the 4/4S is one of the best designs thus far, in iPhone history.

Again, I am on the fence. If I upgrade, I'm keeping my 4S in it's LifeProof case and storing it away as a collector item lol. If I don't upgrade, I'll obviously get the 5S and will upgrade again for the 6S in 2 years (or whatever it'll be called).

Either way, I think the 4S love is something that only few understand. It seemed like when the 5 came out, so many people jumped ship on the 4S. It seems like the 4S is considered the bastard iPhone, that no one ever really truly appreciated it because everyone just looked at it like it was a 4.

I havent decided yet, but I might upgrade to the 5S and if I do, my 4S will always hold a special place in my heart as my first iPhone.

10. elistan, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013

elistan macrumors 6502a

With Apple's new trade-in program, it sounds like I'd be able to trade in my 4S for a 5S for zero out-of-pocket expense - just a two-year contract re-up. Works for me.

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

The 4S is good enough for me. I don't see a need for upgrade.

12. SONiC5 macrumors regular

I'm not. I'm on Sprint, so LTE is a must have, and I need more storage. I'd also like to have a larger screen and more RAM.

13. user-name-here macrumors 65816

I had thought about sticking with the 4S but then my power button went out 2 days ago =/

Oh well, time to upgrade! :D

14. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

I don't have this problem. I get a new one every year.

15. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Getting a new one every year seems like a problem to me.

16. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

I'm sticking with my 4S for at least another year. I love it. The size is perfect IMO, I love the build quality and based on all the rumours there's nothing to make me want to upgrade.

That said, I'm glad the majority on MR will be upgrading because that's good for Apple. :D

17. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Agreed, love the build of the 4S. I'm still on the fence about upgrading, but I might keep my 4S until the 6.

18. gmhag macrumors regular

Got my 4S on the first day. Tentatively, yes, I will be upgrading to the 5S.

I like the idea of a larger screen and I'm sure iOS7 will run smoother than it would on my 4S.

19. gomoq13 macrumors 6502

gomoq13

My almost 2 year old iPhone 4S still works perfectly in every aspect. Currently on iOS 7 beta 6, in comparison with a friend's iPhone 5 which is also on that iOS, I feel there's very minimal differences. Overall performance and battery life on iOS 6.1.3 and iOS 7 beta 6 doesn't seem to be different for my iPhone 4S - it's all good. iOS 7 GM should be working even better, I presume. Think I'll be keeping my phone till mid next year.

20. Mark Booth, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013

Mark Booth thread starter macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

You might want to check with Apple about the cost of replacing the power button. Even if it's out of warranty, the repair could be relatively inexpensive. My iPhone 4S needed a shim installed to fix a problem with the volume control buttons and it's been out of warranty for almost a year. The Apple Store only charged me $6 (including tax) to repair the problem.

Mark

21. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Good to hear. Even though I love my jailbreak, I'm excited to switch over to 7 when it's released to see how my 4S can handle it. I have no doubt that it will handle it well.

22. swish2351 macrumors 6502

23. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Only $6? Wow.

Looks like I'll be swinging by the Apple store then, thanks Mark :)

24. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

Just bought an IP5 on eBay and my 4s is now for sale...After seeing how much faster the IP5 was, and seeing sprint is turning on LTE in my city, I figured I'd upgrade without extending my contract. If the 5s is super crazy cool, I'll upgrade later to it and sell the IP5.

25. stringent macrumors 6502

stringent

I would get the new iPhone mainly because of a few reasons.

1. My 16GB 4S is becoming very full and despite taking music, photos and messages off from time to time, it still fills up.
    2. If the camera is a lot better than the 4S then yeah its another point
    3. NEW STUFF MAN!
    4. I'd get LTE at no extra charge on my 3 contract when they roll it out