anyone else porting out of at&t after unlimited data monthly increase?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lyutin, Feb 11, 2016.

1. lyutin macrumors regular

Most likely switching to VZW (relative works there who can provide a monthly discount), hoping at&t wont give me an issue unlocking iphones once all is done on their end.

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Not me. The unlimited data is still worth it and I doubt I'll be doing international travel in the near future. If I do, I'll just pay off the contract at that point.

3. LunarFalcon macrumors member

I considered it, but I'm going to ride it out until September when the contract is up, then use the Apple Upgrade Program to get the iPhone 7. I'll decide which plan to go with then.

4. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

If you use tons of data on a regular basis it's a no brainer. It's worth it no matter how much they will charge.

5. Milanimal macrumors newbie

i only use like 3-5 gb a month and have been struggling with this question. I could definitely save money, but would kick myself if I ever went over alloted data. Thinking about T-mobile, but we have AT&T repeaters that provide service in the hospital I work at- no other provider gets service.

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If I were in a situation where I still had unlimited data with AT&T, and it worked well for me, then I'd say $5 would probably be worth it to stick around. If it was a $20 increase, like with Verizon, then that would be a different story.

Though, I jump shipped on AT&T's UDP a long time a go because tethering was worth it to me to switch out.

7. str8spd2001 macrumors regular

str8spd2001

I also jumped ship. I stayed because of the subsidized phone before and fan discount, but after calculating the cost and adding an additional line it became really expensive. Luckily T-mobile is offering the unlimited Data plan for 4 for only $150 so that's where I'm at. I use about 23-26 gb of data a month so all the other family share plan was not going to work out, and the unlimited plan they are offering required Direct Tv or U-verse which I'm not too fond of.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I just did port my lines a few days ago.
    I must have called AT&T for the past 3 days over 18 times and submitted dozens of unlock requests.
    It's mission impossible with them to get 2 iPhone devices unlocked. I keep getting denied cause devices are still under contract. Even though all etf fees are waived and final bill paid in full.
    More cases submitted today and more denial emails received. More notations made to my account and another 48-72 hour processing time requests.
    From one unlock portal they deny me and tell me to resubmit at the business unlocking website. I submit again via business portal and they deny me and direct me to the regular unlock site that send me there first.
    3 days now numbers ported and can't use 2 devices with new tmobile sims.
    Seems like a never ending nightmare with AT&T to unlock my phones:(

9. aneftp macrumors 68040

Why not use two cheap T-Mobile GSM phones until the iPhones are unlocked?

The unlocking process due to ETFs can take more than a few days with porting and the final bill. You cannot expect to get the iPhone unlocked immediately during the porting out process.

I swear. Reminds me of people cheap trying to close on a brand new house at 12pm and they have their movers ready to move their stuff into their new home at 1pm. It's simply crazy cause their can be last minute hiccups with the process.

Same thing with unlocking a phone and getting ATT systems to recognize the early termination fee has been waived and All
    Bills settled. Of course att won't make it easy. But they want all accounts settled
    Before unlocking.

10. Applejuiced, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I don't have any tmobile phones and the users have all their stuff on iPhones. I wasn't planning on being without phones for a week. Obviously something is not right with this situation.
    All accounts are settled and obviously all etf removed. They're not under contract.
    So you agree that it should be this hard and time consuming?
    I guess you're used to bad service cause this is not normal to me. And why shouldn't they make it easy? Cause someone switches from them they have to suffer and get ignored and brushed off from left to right and this back and forth ?

11. Newtons Apple, Feb 12, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2016

Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Using too much data to loose my unlimited data. For the small increase I will stay with att.

Change carriers for $5?:p

12. Milanimal macrumors newbie

My phone is still under contract- however, I had success unlocking it on AT&T website. Try the very last option of "Non AT&T Mobility Customer". That's what finally worked for me.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I just changed my plan to their latest unlimited plan. With two lines, we're not even using 3GB, but my kids will be joining soon and my old (and now obsolete) plan was more expensive for 6GB then I'm paying now for unlimited.

14. imlynxy macrumors 65816

I feel so sorry about your problems, fax them at 260-715-4686, this is their corp office.

https://forums.att.com/t5/Wireless-Billing/Customer-Service/td-p/4203380

May be they can help you. I faxed them couple weeks ago about the problem , they removed one of my lines from the plan right away. Good Luck.

15. Merkyworks macrumors 6502

Regularly hit +19 Gig a month so $5 is fine with me

16. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Question has been asked before, and my answer, like before, is still no. I enjoy my unlimited too much.

17. str8spd2001 macrumors regular

str8spd2001

Not sure what's going on with your account. I just switched and right after my number was ported to T-Mobile I did the online unlocking service and immediately got my confirmation that my 6s and 6s+ was unlocked.

18. solo118 macrumors 65816

I have 3 lines, grandfathered unlimited plan with at&t. The raise is $15 total which will bring my bill to about $240 after taxes.

Since subsidized phones are gone, I do not see the point in staying. I can take T-mobiles $150 for 4 lines unlimited and save at least $50 a month. I live in the NY/NJ area, and have heard T-mobile has excellent coverage.

Still thinking about it though, as at&t has been good to me over the years. I have been on this plan for a real long time, and I know they will have no problem porting me out lol

19. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

You are g
    You are going through absolute HELL.

20. pokerplayer73 macrumors 6502

pokerplayer73

I have heard about this $5 price increase on UDP in forums and tech articles, but I haven't been notified by ATT as yet. Have you guys received an email or text regarding that. Its also not in my current bill. Please let me know.

21. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

This sucks.

I think you should have chosen the option to port over the numbers after att unlocked your phones. When I was looking at how one would sign up for the 4 line deal, there's the option to port now or later.

I have both Verizon and att with lines on both. I will never give up my Verizon lines, but I'd love for TM to work instead of att. My tests with friends phones show very fast data in most place, but not so much in others where att is consistent. Still, there are things that irk me with att. I'd love for TM to work on those lines where they are being used.

But like I said I won't give up Verizon. In case anyone is wondering...yes I need 2 separate carriers.:cool:

I am not on any contracts with any line.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thank you my friend.
    One of them got unlocked this morning. Hoping for the last one to be done today if not I'll try your suggestion above.
    It hasn't been easy :D
    --- Post Merged, Feb 12, 2016 ---
    Man, you either got really lucky or I'm really unlucky with mine:D
    --- Post Merged, Feb 12, 2016 ---
    Yes, its pure madness bro:D

23. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

They sent out an email to me back on Dec 15, then a letter also showed up in my mailbox around that week, plus a text message as well.

24. aneftp macrumors 68040

Sorry you are having issues.

But you always have to plan for plan B if the unlocking process isn't going smoothly. That's why other competing carriers prefer you just trade in your "old" phones and try to make you buy a new one so you wouldn't be without a phone.

You obviously want to use your "old" phone cause it still new(er).

But like I said, it's like people trying to sell a house and move into new home immediately. They don't want to rent a house or apartment for a 1 month or even 1 week. They don't plan for hiccups.

I cancel my cable internet and the cable company owes me $70-80. I don't expect them to cut me a check immediately. So it's not the end of the world if you aren't without a smartphone. A flip prepaid tmobile phone that works costs like $20.

25. Applejuiced, Feb 12, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2016

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True that.
    I should have had a backup. I usually keep a spare iPhone that's a few years older.
    Going on day 5 now.