All iPads Anyone Else Prefer Aluminum iPads (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th) Gens as Oppose to the Airs?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HappyDude20, Dec 14, 2014.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

just wondering if anyone actual really prefers them, even where like u think the Airs feel... Different. only cause the materials don't feel as resilient and of superior quality...yet I've also been thinking about all electronics depreciating value and how in ten years it's practically guaranteed we won't be using iPads in today's sense.. We'll just have technologies from this Apple device complimenting the new crazy ***** Apple will bring out.

Original iPads unite!

tl;dr Im rocking this 3rd gen till holograms are a thing. And just ranting about how the Airs, in my opinion, though amazing and adding to previous iPads, feels like the 3GS of its time.

Though I'm opining on all this, please don't mistake this for hating. This is 2014 MacRumors and not 2009 MacRumors, so I feel I have to say that.

2. RebornProphet Suspended

And what do you think the iPad Air is made of? Plastic?

And I don't mistake it for hating. I see it for it is ... you're stuck with a 3rd Gen and are justifying it to yourself however you can. For the record, the 3rd Gen was my first iPad, I replaced it with the 4 when it came out simply because the 3 was woefully underpowered to handle the retina display. I'm on an iPad Air now and may well get the Air 2 next year. Maybe.

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

The Air and Air2 are also aluminum, just like all those old ones you mentioned. The Air and Air2 are just more modern, and not clunky.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I prefer the size of my Air over previous units. I do not care about weight or thickness.

Air 2 is much nicer.

5. bushido Suspended

bushido

well this post make no sense at all

6. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

7. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Maybe a 2nd gen, but our first gen was a waste of money. Inadequate memory and power and quick loss of support -- bought October 2010 and there was only one supported OS upgrade, iOS 5, one year later. We will probably never buy another iPad.

8. RebornProphet Suspended

So you're never buying another iPad because the first gen model got only one version of iOS beyond what it shipped with?

Despite the iPad 2, and subsequent models, receiving year after year iOS updates?

The first gen on almost every Apple product is the one to test the waters, the platform to build on. If you bought an iPad now you'd be supported with updates for at least 3 years.

9. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Well we also discovered we like smaller iOS devices for portability and Macs for productivity, making the iPad redundant. The 11" MBA is only slightly larger than the iPad and far more useful. Might have thought differently if we had just a modern iPad and not the 1st Gen plus a MBA. In any case Apple doesn't guarantee update support for three years.

10. RebornProphet Suspended

Guaranteed, not in writing but one look at the supported devices for iOS 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 proves that legacy support exists. Of course the quality and performance on older devices that are supported is a hot topic right now also.

I also think you can't judge the iPad properly if you've only ever owned and extensively used the very first one.

11. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

Similar conclusion here. I got the iPad 1 shortly after it came out and loved it until 5.x hobbled it. Then I bought a Lenovo Lynx tablet, which is great. But it will be my last tablet because I find it much easier to do things on the MBA when away from my desktop, which always will be my main machine. For example, after four-plus years of using tablets and smartphones, I still find typing on glass to be a chore.

BTW, the Lynx has a plastic back, which I -- and a lot of reviewers -- wondered if it would hold up. More than a year later, it doesn't have a scratch or crack. It's proved as durable as the iPad 1.

12. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I used an iPad 3 for the last 2.5 years and now i have an Air 2. The Air 2 is superior in every way!

Bryan

13. Dented macrumors 6502a

I have an iPad Air at home and an iPad 4 that's work issue, so switch between them all the time. I have to admit there's something satisfyingly chunky and solid about the 4, but really the Air is more pleasant to use most of the time, largely because of the weight difference.